Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree337Likes

Thread: Show us ya rimfire bunny rigs

Agreed the old stirling
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

man @Dundee I had to give my semi auto stirling up
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynastar27 View Post
    man @Dundee I had to give my semi auto stirling up
    I got the mag shortened to 9rounds
    Dynastar27 likes this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Can't beat the 14p bolt action Stirling
    viper and csmiffy like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Marlin 795 brought off here years ago and a Marlin 25N (first rifle) just put the old tasco back on the 795 and its a hard trade after having a Zeiss on there. The bolt action one i wanted to learn to dial with and unfortunately haven't done much with it. The semi always ends up going for a walk as its lite and shoots amazingly well out to 100m
    Name:  IMG_1190.jpeg
Views: 680
Size:  4.48 MB

Not new,but new to the bunny collection.

Not new, ,but new to the bunny collection, This Brno 2 1957 was brought for my son, he shot it along side of his brno 2e 87 and they shot about the same and said he would stick with what he's got.
    Well, no good to me in that form so chop to 14" and picked up yesterday, yet to scope it and shoot it.
    KH
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Kiwi-Hunter; 12-06-2020 at 03:07 AM.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Quote Originally Posted by Sailornson View Post
    Right, so abit of an update. I sent the Stealth optic back and the shop swapped it for a Nikko Stirling Panamax 3-9 x 40 with adjustable Objective. Got it home, mounted it on the rifle and checked it against four vertical 2cm diameter Dots at 10cm apart on a target at 100m. The mil dot showed an error at 9x power that got gradually bigger the further out from the centre of the reticule you got. Nothing in the online instruction manual about the specs of the reticule or dimensions or at what power the graduations equalled 1 Mil. A quick email to Nikko Stirling...

Subject
    Panamax 3-9 x 40 HMD Reticle
    Hi there, I am trying to find specific information about the HMD reticule in a Panama 3-9x40 AO. the online manuals are very generic - with no specific information covering technical details of the reticule. At what zoom is the reticule accurate at? i.e where the spacing between the MIL dots is equivalent to one MIL on the target? is it at maximum zoom? What are the dimensions of the dots, sub tensions etc.. In putting a series of 0.2Mil dots on the target vertically at 1 MIL intervals (10cm apart for range of 100m), even at max zoom, the dots on the target do not line up with the reticule dots when viewed from 100m

The first mil dot of the scope does with the corresponding dot on the target but from the 2nd dot on - an increasing error presents itself

Distances are lased with a Nikon Monarch 3000 Laser range finder, held directly above the position of the scope.

The target was levelled with a spirit level, and the dots on the target drawn out with parallel rules and a compass.

Any light or information you could shed on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply back from Nikko Stirling

I have done some asking around and can give you the attached:

Please check attached HMD reticle drawing with dimensions.

It's set at 10x, means all of the dimensions are correct at 10x, even on 3-9x40 model.

If you want to use the reticle at others magnification except 10x, this is calculation:

current dimension = (dimension on drawing x 10) / (current magnification)

Kind Regards,

The formula had me scratching my head a little bit, not least of all from how it is worded. but I've been playing around with the ballistics app shooter and excel. I think I have figured out a conversion that works.

working in meters

Step a)

divide range to the target by 100 - this is the distance in cm of 1 mil on the target at that range.

Multiply this by 10, then divide by the zoom power. - I'm pretty certain this is how many mil dots you have to hold over to achieve 1 Mil difference on the target for that zoom power at that range

b)

Take the holdover required from the ballistics app of your choice for that range, and divide by the figure you got in a).

This gives you a corrected holdover for the mil reticule, for that zoom power, at that range.

It sounds complicated, however excel does all the hard work for you once you set it up and you can knock out a drop chart to stick to your rifle in no time, its also easy to adjust the inputs from the ballistic calculator if you need to.

I was getting consistent hits this afternoon on a 4 inch gong at 125m using subs and don't think I have found the limit of them yet.

I was shooting off a 15 dollar Ali express sandbag filled with kitty litter while using the rolled up gunbag as a rear rest.

Let me know if this helpful.
    I had much the same experience with a clear Ridge max mag was 12 but the mil dots were on at 10. One good thing bout 2nd focal plane mIL dots is you can shoot to extended ranges by dialing back the magnification and still use the dots compensating for the mag change as your chart shows rather than having to dial.

Sportco 63
    Dama dama and Kiwi-Hunter like this.

Finally, sight in of the bunny rifle.

Sight in with tentman+ as spotter ! which wasn't off to a good start.
    But with wind next to nothing and standard CCI subs ended good enough for me.
    A keeper.
    KH
    rugerman, Bill999, Tentman and 7 others like this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Nice wee rifle - trying hard to shoot despite the meanie who only feeds it CCI standards - needs to be tested properly with some "real" ammo

Nothing wrong with CCI SVs. Some of my best sub moa groups with my Lithgow at 100yds have been shot with it. Just you get more odd flyers with it.
    Less than satisfactory 100 yd groups have been shot with RWS R50 for me at any rate.
    It's what your individual rifle likes.
    mimms2 likes this.

Enjoying latest gun Norinco EM332 on the lookout for a bit better scope if any one has anything they are getting rid of but like this rifle very much.Name:  787C6849-FF99-44B3-B005-707A4E962E3C.jpeg
Views: 563
Size:  1.58 MBName:  14105120-0D3E-42B9-A1A5-92A61980658D.jpeg
Views: 567
Size:  1.62 MB
    FatLabrador likes this.

I wouldn't race to dump the Olivon. Canadian company manufacturing in China - but who isn't now. Usually quite acceptable rimfire quality. Had 2-3 and all were good on 22s. You could spend a great deal more for little gain with 0-100m shooting.

Always good idea to give any new scope a thorough field test. Never mind the opinions.. My first EM332 about 10 years ago was supremely accurate averaging 0.6" for four consecutive groups at 100m. It always wore its package cheapie Kilwell Huntsman 3-9x40. The scope never gave me reason to change it.

Test it well first. If you do toss the Olivon Tracker - let me know..
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    I wouldn't race to dump the Olivon. Canadian company manufacturing in China - but who isn't now. Usually quite acceptable rimfire quality. Had 2-3 and all were good on 22s. You could spend a great deal more for little gain with 0-100m shooting.

Always good idea to give any new scope a thorough field test. Never mind the opinions.. My first EM332 about 10 years ago was supremely accurate averaging 0.6" for four consecutive groups at 100m. It always wore its package cheapie Kilwell Huntsman 3-9x40. The scope never gave me reason to change it.

Test it well first. If you do toss the Olivon Tracker - let me know..
    Yup my olivion 4-16 ×44 goes mint on my 17hmr
    RabbitStu likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

I like your advice Mudgripz I won’t rush in to changing, I have put up a wanted on site for scope but now I’ve read you message I might do a bit more banging. I do love the gun for sure I have not quite managed to get enough focus but thats down to the eyes 👀 I think.
    Thanks for the messageand like what you say. I Have done a fair bit of work myself in China and certainly know they can deliver some decent products.
    Cheer’s
    Stu