Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Show us your Varmint rifles

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Savage Model 12-VLP .204 wearing Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x50

How's the model 12 shoot Ben?
    I am planning on getting one in .223 or .22-250 a bit later in the year as a varmint rifle (was just thinking about the plain jane synthentic one).

I love my 93R17 and that thing is a real shooter, so I'm hoping the model 12 is the same.

Its just lovely to shoot - smooth action, perfect trigger, half inch groups at 100 (many Savages do a lot better than that too). Heavy bugger to carry though, I'm currently selling it to get something lighter as my hunting tends to be more walking up and down hills and less parking up in the same spot. Worth checking if the synthetic has the accustock or not, as the non-accustock can be a bit flexy in the front end. The laminates are rock solid though.

I also have a Savage Mk2FSS .22 which I dropped in a boyds laminate stock as I didn't like the plastic, and I also had a 93G .22wmr for a while which shot 0.7" at 100.

So yeah I like Savages!
    Aurochs likes this.

Here is my T3 22-204, 75 Amax @ 3200 fps, 53 Vmax @ 3750 fps

Has been shooting sub 1/2 moa so far

I'm looking forward to doing more accuracy testing this weekend, if I have time

What is the tape for? is it because the rail sticks out? Saw a bloke who just dremeled one to length on a T3 and blacked it.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    What is the tape for? is it because the rail sticks out? Saw a bloke who just dremeled one to length on a T3 and blacked it.
    Its security over the strain guage epoxied to the outside of the chamber
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

My very humble little varminter so far.

A Marlin 980ss in the mighty round of 22lr, chopped to 15", lightened trigger and topped with a Mueller APT scope.

Working on the 223 at the moment, want to put a Boyd's stock under a well passed around Zastava and work up a load for it. Currently has been chopped a bit (not sure on length) and wearing a gunworks over barrel silencer. Actually bought to deal with the odd pig we come across on a couple of farms we've been shooting rabbits on. Was after something light weight and compact that I could have slung over the shoulder while carrying the wee Marlin above. On the lookout for something better for proper varminting though.

Short barrel .22's make a lot of sense

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Short barrel .22's make a lot of sense
    Took some negotiating with the gunsmith. I wanted 14", he wanted 17". At least it was my side of the negotiating process at the end. Took about 3 months to get it back from the smith; got a phone call in Monday 21 Feb 2011 that it was scheduled for the following afternoon and to double check the length. Think it actually shoots better short and much easier out of the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Took some negotiating with the gunsmith. I wanted 14", he wanted 17". At least it was my side of the negotiating process at the end. Took about 3 months to get it back from the smith; got a phone call in Monday 21 Feb 2011 that it was scheduled for the following afternoon and to double check the length. Think it actually shoots better short and much easier out of the truck.
    Why the debate? I got my Ruger taken down to 12.5"

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Why the debate? I got my Ruger taken down to 12.5"
    Beats me. The reports I've read indicate the projectile reaches maximum speed at about 14". Any shorter and I wouldn't really have enough room to mount the torch under the barrel; a necessity as with the 30mm scope tube I couldn't find any reasonably priced mounts for it at the time. The only issue I've had so fare is it doesn't go bang sometimes ... every time fixed by fiddling with the mag ... to put in one with a few rounds in it. Best outing so far 110 rabbits in 45 minutes in a triangle of scrub 60m on it's sides, 100% strike rate. With the suppressor and subs it's just "click", "thud", "ching".

i gotta 16.somthing 1022 and its mint.
    fully reccomend the shortend barrel, makes for a very little gun.

was yours 762mm with a 12.5 inch barrel bevis?

13" or so. It was a bit shorter with the factory barrel. Same speed as a long 18" or whatever barrel. No downside to cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    i gotta 16.somthing 1022 and its mint.
    fully reccomend the shortend barrel, makes for a very little gun.

was yours 762mm with a 12.5 inch barrel bevis?
    Its about 20mm over in it's current form

Was 7mm over with the standard boy scout stock. I really need to get a better tube stock made up for it. The ACE is getting stolen by another rifle soon anyway.

thats a cool little rig. I thought mabe you permanently fitted a supperssor to get around it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    thats a cool little rig. I thought mabe you permanently fitted a supperssor to get around it
    Na bugger that. I actually like it better without the suppressor on. I was going for the sub gun look and feel. Sucks that it's stuck with lame 10 shot mags.