Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: trapping pukekos

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    When I had a pond in Awaiti wetlands the cockie was overrun with Pukes,like dozens, the next season there was stuff all.
    Apparently they can contract some virus when numbers are high.
    Awaiti wetlands you say. When was this? Been some pretty heavy botulism outbreaks in that part of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Mum cooked up a puke casserole for us during duckshooting in 1979, so I hope they have been on the license for quite a while. It was nice.

All birds are automatically protected in NZ, if a new species arrives it is fully protected until it is added to a schedule of the Wildlife Act.
    The Fish and Game cookbook that came out last year has a couple of good recipes for em. Not bad. I'll shoot em if I see em so may as well eat them.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Oh true. I might have been thinking about spur winged plovers
    Yeah, spur winged plovers used to be protected but now aren't. They aren't on the duckshooting license though, they are on schedule 5 of the wildlife act so no restrictions (other than being killed humanely). I think Canda geese were one of the most recent additions to schedule 5
    rugerman likes this.

I've heard the permits aren't hard to get, F&G is pretty reasonable.

Or wait till May, they have a 3 month season. Last year 5 a day was bag limit.
    rugerman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HG Man View Post
    Awaiti wetlands you say. When was this? Been some pretty heavy botulism outbreaks in that part of the woods.
    2002-2009 ish #3 built the hut there
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    yes it is - to explain - all birds in NZ are given a classification - native- introduced- vagrant etc a native is a bird that breeds and has always existed in NZ but can also occur in another country i.e Harrier hawk - Wax eye - Grey Duck - a bird that only breeds in NZ and occurs no where else is given the top classification of endemic - i.e kiwi -fantail - morepork - bellbird etc - why our poor old puke was put onto a game bird list is beyond me- as was our grey duck - but it is a native bird - leave them alone - they here long before you- learn to live with them
    Just go see fish and game and get a permit to cull them. F&G are pretty good about issuing permits, at least they are here in our region.
    Pooks need their numbers trimmed, they are nasty f%^kers.

10 per day limit here in GB season and they are actually quite tasty
    rugerman and dannyb like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

ahem "native"

https://ebird.org/species/purswa6

aka Australasian swamphen

Fucking pest
    rugerman likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    A year or so ago I happened to change TV channels and Tiger Woods was playing golf and there were pukeko's in the background near the lake. I didn't know he was playing down this way, and turned out he wasn't - he was in Orlando Florida but they have a very similar bird there

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    They have been on the schedule longer than I have been shooting. And I shot my first one in 1970.
    geeze you have an awesome memory
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    ahem "native"

Fucking pest
    They also have similar species in other countries.
    Its bit like the possums they have become a sub spiecies with enough changes to have unique markers ( genealogicaly), that stop them being that particular animal. Why you don't see possums getting sent back to aussie to help booster thier native numbers.

Mum cooked up a puke casserole for us during duckshooting in 1979, so I hope they have been on the license for quite a while. It was nice.

All birds are automatically protected in NZ, if a new species arrives it is fully protected until it is added to a schedule of the Wildlife Act.
    You are pulling everyones leg? We did same about 1975. Did it all ways possible cooking. A leather boot tastes nicer. My mate up Auckland is trying to explain to the insurance company how the puke went so far to imbed itself into his motor. Destroyed the grill and everything else. Think he is regretting his moment of puke hatred.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    ahem "native"

Fucking pest
    yes they are deemed native in NZ
    Is a pukeko native to New Zealand?

The pūkeko is probably one of the most recognised native birds in New Zealand with its distinctive colourings and habit of feeding on the ground. Pūkeko is the New Zealand name for the purple swamphen (Porphyrio porphyrio). There are many subspecies of purple swamphen. the bird pictured in the link above is an Australian subspecies

A year or so ago I happened to change TV channels and Tiger Woods was playing golf and there were pukeko's in the background near the lake. I didn't know he was playing down this way, and turned out he wasn't - he was in Orlando Florida but they have a very similar bird there
    They would have been Purple Gallinules.....

I started hunting gamebirds with my father in the very late 50's early 60's. (Auckland/Waikato region) Pukekos were on the licence back then. Many a budding hunter took a Pukeko as their first gamebird under their fathers supervision...........and that act was instrumental in creating the next crop of hunters......
    My Grandmother would stick the (jointed)birds in a pressure cooker, strip the flesh off the bones and make Pukeko soup. It gave many young fellas a sense of pride when they put food on the table...
    rupert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Yeah I believe they used to be protected but have recently ( in the last few years) gone onto the duck shooting season license, or you can apply to shoot them on a case by case basis. I have a mate in Wainuiamata who has horses and donkeys and he has lost animals to Salmonella from them getting into the troughs.
    they have been on gamebird licence for all of my 35 years of buying siad licence...in fact if my memory serves me correctly..and can check if needed,the yare 2nd most shot game bird behind the mallard...most guys shoot at least 1 per season....cant say same for many species.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I've got no time for pooks. One of them destroved a kidney grille in an M5 Beemer I had at the time, cost a heap to fix.