Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: using rear guns bags in the field ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    cheers @Micky Duck . . . using that already when using my No.1 Ruger, ( it doesnt like bipod pressure on the forend ) i like the difference of that method but all n all its not something i like to do all the time
    i also feel there is more potential for accuracy / precision at LR with a bipod in the field, so the idea of rabbit eared rear bag, could be wrong . . . but this is what i do, keep looking for improvements, sometimes you get nowhere , sometimes you get a win . . . its all part of it.

R.
    Ok Rossi this is very much just an idea and not something that I have even tried yet so if it has no merit let me down gently please. How would a folding rear rest go ? What I have thought to test out the idea would be a hard covered book stood up like a saw stool under the stock. The book would need to be used at ninety degrees to the rifle with your hanky on top for padding, placing it (the hanky) within handy reach in case of a miss. The book being opened and closed for different heights. If that works then a proper version could be made with 10mm ply and some strapping.

Banned
    Since my earlier post on the folding rest I have had a chance to test the idea and also to realise that I made a typo and put 10mm ply when I meant 7mm in the earlier entry.
    Anyway I tested some books out and found that with the book shoved to the left it didn't interfere with the right arm and provided a surprisingly steady and easily variable height rest when combined with the bipod.
    To keep with Rossi's expectation for good taste in such matters, I first tested using a limited edition of Robinson Crusoe, this proved to be sturdy but lacking height. I then tried with 'The Definitive works of Rudyard Kipling' this time with high expectations. Although Kipling had a good spine he also proved to be a touch short as a rest. Finally I moved to a home grown edition, 'A Southern Gentry' by Steven Eldred Grigg. This book at 187 mm wide performed the test faultlessly and proved the concept of a lightweight folding rear rest. In Fact Grigg proved to be such a solid bracing rest, although albeit a sometimes 'dry' author I will be making a prototype folding rear rest myself.
    NZ_noddy likes this.

interesting Moa . . . come back when its proven in the field, you might have a winner there.

to show how confidant i am in your idea i am putting aside Anthony Beevors book Stalingrad

R.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Banned
    interesting Moa . . . come back when its proven in the field, you might have a winner there.

to show how confidant i am in your idea i am putting aside Anthony Beevors book Stalingrad

R.
    'Stalingrad' Rossi, that would be a very very solid rest indeed. You must have in mind to fire some full powered loads with the 45/70 pray tell ? Sadly though, it seems that books that make the best rests are the least inspiring reads and so lack a duel purpose in the field. With that in mind I have scanned a ballad from Kipling that you and NZ noddy might enjoy.Name:  Kipling 001.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  916.2 KBName:  Kipling 002.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  966.5 KB
    Last edited by Moa Hunter; 05-08-2018 at 09:52 AM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

if we are going to go down the Rudyard Kipling road Moa we best have one of his most well known and a favourite of mine . . . then back to gun stuff

Gunga Din
    BY RUDYARD KIPLING

You may talk o’ gin and beer
    When you’re quartered safe out ’ere,
    An’ you’re sent to penny-fights an’ Aldershot it;
    But when it comes to slaughter
    You will do your work on water,
    An’ you’ll lick the bloomin’ boots of ’im that’s got it.
    Now in Injia’s sunny clime,
    Where I used to spend my time
    A-servin’ of ’Er Majesty the Queen,
    Of all them blackfaced crew
    The finest man I knew
    Was our regimental bhisti, Gunga Din,
    He was ‘Din! Din! Din!
    ‘You limpin’ lump o’ brick-dust, Gunga Din!
    ‘Hi! Slippy hitherao
    ‘Water, get it! Panee lao,
    ‘You squidgy-nosed old idol, Gunga Din.’

The uniform ’e wore
    Was nothin’ much before,
    An’ rather less than ’arf o’ that be’ind,
    For a piece o’ twisty rag
    An’ a goatskin water-bag
    Was all the field-equipment ’e could find.
    When the sweatin’ troop-train lay
    In a sidin’ through the day,
    Where the ’eat would make your bloomin’ eyebrows crawl,
    We shouted ‘Harry By!’
    Till our throats were bricky-dry,
    Then we wopped ’im ’cause ’e couldn’t serve us all.
    It was ‘Din! Din! Din!
    ‘You ’eathen, where the mischief ’ave you been?
    ‘You put some juldee in it
    ‘Or I’ll marrow you this minute
    ‘If you don’t fill up my helmet, Gunga Din!’

’E would dot an’ carry one
    Till the longest day was done;
    An’ ’e didn’t seem to know the use o’ fear.
    If we charged or broke or cut,
    You could bet your bloomin’ nut,
    ’E’d be waitin’ fifty paces right flank rear.
    With ’is mussick on ’is back,
    ’E would skip with our attack,
    An’ watch us till the bugles made 'Retire,’
    An’ for all ’is dirty ’ide
    ’E was white, clear white, inside
    When ’e went to tend the wounded under fire!
    It was ‘Din! Din! Din!’
    With the bullets kickin’ dust-spots on the green.
    When the cartridges ran out,
    You could hear the front-ranks shout,
    ‘Hi! ammunition-mules an' Gunga Din!’

I shan’t forgit the night
    When I dropped be’ind the fight
    With a bullet where my belt-plate should ’a’ been.
    I was chokin’ mad with thirst,
    An’ the man that spied me first
    Was our good old grinnin’, gruntin’ Gunga Din.
    ’E lifted up my ’ead,
    An’ he plugged me where I bled,
    An’ ’e guv me ’arf-a-pint o’ water green.
    It was crawlin’ and it stunk,
    But of all the drinks I’ve drunk,
    I’m gratefullest to one from Gunga Din.
    It was 'Din! Din! Din!
    ‘’Ere’s a beggar with a bullet through ’is spleen;
    ‘’E's chawin’ up the ground,
    ‘An’ ’e’s kickin’ all around:
    ‘For Gawd’s sake git the water, Gunga Din!’

’E carried me away
    To where a dooli lay,
    An’ a bullet come an’ drilled the beggar clean.
    ’E put me safe inside,
    An’ just before ’e died,
    'I ’ope you liked your drink,’ sez Gunga Din.
    So I’ll meet ’im later on
    At the place where ’e is gone—
    Where it’s always double drill and no canteen.
    ’E’ll be squattin’ on the coals
    Givin’ drink to poor damned souls,
    An’ I’ll get a swig in hell from Gunga Din!
    Yes, Din! Din! Din!
    You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din!
    Though I’ve belted you and flayed you,
    By the livin’ Gawd that made you,
    You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Moa Hunter likes this.

so still waiting on the new rear bag setup from TM . . . while i am waiting i decided over the last 2 days to do some target type / drop tests out to 600yrds for a comparison to see if there is any improvement with the new setup.

started with a zero at 100yrds putting the bullets inside a 1/2 inch square target . . then shooting in 100 yard steps 200, 300, 400, 500 without adjusting elevation to make sure the bullets impacted onto a vertical line, then measuring each drop to make sure they agreed with strelok, which they did . . . then out to 600 yards dailing up.

i got some great groups as ya do . . but the worst were just inside .5MOA & those are the ones i look at as the true ability of me and the rifle setup.

i shot each group then walked down to the target then back again before firing the next group, the idea is to be close to my heart rate etc as i would be while out varminting.

small problem i had was where i shot from, it was against a tree line shooting across a gully . . . so i never really new what the wind was doing when i took the shot . . . only how it was when i walked down to the target and back.

my measure of success is can i put my bullets inside a 2.5 inch ( 65mm) target at any range . . . it was all good untill i went past 500 yards, thats when i had trouble, only 1 in 4 were inside the target at 600 yards . . none were more than 2 inches off target . . but its still a miss.

went out bunny busting after each session and tried for some 600-650 yard rabbits but couldnt manange a hit . . . within a few inches at times but not close enough, next time

pick of the litter

Name:  1533510252237.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  888.4 KB
    Last edited by rossi.45; 06-08-2018 at 12:09 PM.
    viper, Micky Duck and Steelisreal like this.

so i have had a play with the rabbit ear rear bag . . . still not sure if it is worth going forward with it . . . but still interesting

tried it first with my Sako Quad Range with .22lr barrel at 100yrds . . . sadly the batch of CCI std velocity i had was so bad with pops and bangs, cracks of high velocity rounds it was only of any use to try the bag out on a live fire.

next tried the Ruger No.1 in 204R . . . . didnt want to use a lot of rounds on paper, just to get a feel for it.

fired at 200yrds without adding any elevation. .5inch low which was expected . . . then to 400yrds, 1.5inch group which was normal.
    fired 3 more groups which averaged 1.5 inches . . . so no difference than my usual setup . . but it did seem easier if that makes sense.

Name:  1533892073404.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  1.29 MB

next i want to try a bag rider . . . i have this feeling the recoil didnt come back in a smooth consistent straight line as it would if you had a rail which slid along the bag . . . its worth a try, it keeps me off the streets and thinking about shooting in those long days and hours when i can't get up the hill.
    viper and Steelisreal like this.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    I have read that the bottom of your stock should not make contact with the bag (i.e. Be fully supported by the ears) for the maximum accuracy to be had from a rear bunny/rabbit ear bag.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Pretty well summarised in this post I reckon

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...r-bag.2424081/

If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    I have read that the bottom of your stock should not make contact with the bag (i.e. Be fully supported by the ears) for the maximum accuracy to be had from a rear bunny/rabbit ear bag.

you are right i think . . . i started by squeezing the ears together to get the right elevation . . . now i want to try with the rifle stock not touching the sides, using a bag rider attachment to slide along the bottom of the bag in a straight line.

something like this . . i have seen some ELR shooters using similar DIY like this, worth a try . . . or not, lets wait and see

Name:  nomadrider02.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  72.8 KB

Banned
    you are right i think . . . i started by squeezing the ears together to get the right elevation . . . now i want to try with the rifle stock not touching the sides, using a bag rider attachment to slide along the bottom of the bag in a straight line.

something like this . . i have seen some ELR shooters using similar DIY like this, worth a try . . . or not, lets wait and see

Attachment 92981
    Hi Rossi, can I make the suggestion that a piece of Banana skin placed in your rabbit eared rest with stock sitting down into it, would likely provide a perfect slip surface. PS your groups with the Ruger 204 are outstanding.
    Micky Duck likes this.