Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: VIDEO: 'Smashing' Spring Rabbits with the 17 Hornet

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    That's so cool , what a neat caliber the 17 Hornet is. One of those rabbits in the video sort of exploded. I took my 223 and 22K Hornet out on Saturday and shot 34 rabbits great evening wander. The 223 certainly thumps the rabbits a bit harder with several going two ways. Even the K Hornet was messing them up with the 40 gr BT. Love your videos very efficient way to control rabbits.
    Thanks, yeah the 17H is seriously fun to use and super effective. Basically anything within 200 yards is point and shoot dead without thinking about where to hold or dial, i like to make every single shot count and hate missing, when i do miss its normally just over the top of them.

The 20gr at 3700 fps shoots pretty flat eh.
    Mooseman likes this.

What's the scope & power?

Hi GWH, nice to see that little CZ, is treating you good, nicely done on the video.
    Have you tried the 25gr v-max at 3300-3350 ish, with black out, this bullet shoot's better in my other CZ .17 hornet (varmint) and in the Anschutz .17 Hornet I have in Canada, about 1/2" more drop at 200m. over the 20gr. better killer and much more thwack (noise) on a hit.
    I haven't been able to get back to NZ since 2019, due to Covid, missing the odd evening stroll, with a we CZ tucked under the arm,
    GWH likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Tararua Phil View Post
    What's the scope & power?
    Its a Weaver SuperSlam 4-20x50. With a fine varmint dot reticle.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    Hi GWH, nice to see that little CZ, is treating you good, nicely done on the video.
    Have you tried the 25gr v-max at 3300-3350 ish, with black out, this bullet shoot's better in my other CZ .17 hornet (varmint) and in the Anschutz .17 Hornet I have in Canada, about 1/2" more drop at 200m. over the 20gr. better killer and much more thwack (noise) on a hit.
    I haven't been able to get back to NZ since 2019, due to Covid, missing the odd evening stroll, with a we CZ tucked under the arm,
    Yeah i love using it mate.

Ive only used 20gr Zmax/Vmax. Sounds like i need to try the 25s.

Oh boy, this bloody pandemic sure is upsetting things eh.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Yes, this is the main reason i use 17 hmr and 17 Hornet, some of the properties i shoot are smaller, all flat, and some have lots of huge plastic water tanks full of fertigation mixes, if i was to get a ricochet from a 22lr (which happens all the time) and put a hole thru one of these tanks i wouldnt be very popular. Other properties are besides motorways and i need to know that the bullet is going to go where i want it and not deflect off and keep going in any random direction.

The 17's just blow up. I've witnessed a number of times now 17's both hmr and Hornet blowing up on a thin seed stalk of weedy grass sticking up in front of a rabbit, this gives me great confidence that there is zero chance of a ricochet off a stone, ground, tree trunk etc

The 17 Hornet is a seriously effective tool. Finding a CZ527 in 17 Hornet is hard enough, let alone a lefty. I feel for ya.
    I was shooting at a rabbit about 120 metres with my 17HMR off a bipod, first shot nothing, rabbit didn't notice, no impact, second shot the same. then realized the thin dead blades of the grass were destroying the projectile at the muzzle. Third shot, he wasn't so lucky. Also have cut fence wire with the same projectile in the same situation. Awesome cartridge. Do you reload the Hornet?
    GWH likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I was shooting at a rabbit about 120 metres with my 17HMR off a bipod, first shot nothing, rabbit didn't notice, no impact, second shot the same. then realized the thin dead blades of the grass were destroying the projectile at the muzzle. Third shot, he wasn't so lucky. Also have cut fence wire with the same projectile in the same situation. Awesome cartridge. Do you reload the Hornet?
    Yeah ive seen that a few times, ya wonder what the hell is going on "how can I be missing, twice". Yeah i reload for the 17 Hornet, its a super cool little case.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Yeah ive seen that a few times, ya wonder what the hell is going on "how can I be missing, twice". Yeah i reload for the 17 Hornet, its a super cool little case.
    I have some projectiles an what powder ru using?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

CFE BLK from Hodgdon pretty sure @GWH and I shoot the same load
    GWH likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I have some projectiles an what powder ru using?
    Yeah CFEBLK is great in the 17H.

Which projectiles do you have, are you wanting to sell them if you dont have a need for them?

I wanted to ask him about the projectiles too but didn't want to cut your grass
    GWH likes this.