Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

Like Tree18717Likes

Thread: What little pesties did you bowl over today?

The more of the buggars I leave round the tree - the more come to the funeral - about six round that tree now in various states of decay
    My mate is not too impressed by his muzzle - but he is getting better - I put a rat bait station on the tree next to a trap so always some risk that he will pick up something - bait or rat
    I am getting the rats under control so they leave the peanut butter in the traps for the possums
    Almost imagine there are more birds around - the rat bait take is slowing down significantly

Brilliant Time Out....the more the merrier....well done mate!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

4 out of 5 head shot with the old Lithgow.

Name:  P1010378 (1000 x 562).jpg
Views: 503
Size:  244.3 KB
    veitnamcam, Dundee, Dougie and 5 others like this.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

First fur with the ruger hmr. Smashed lots of feather but first fur I have come across

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1417849539715.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  118.9 KB

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Out in North Canterbury last night with @2gnscib and another good mate to deal to a few hares with the possibility of a pig or goat. We managed to deal to 30 odd rodents, mainly hares. Not sure what the story is but I missed a couple of shots at an easy magpie but somehow missed ending up just removing a few tail feathers so still not got one of those yet. Seems to be my nemesis species.

Not impressed with the performance of the Speer 55gr soft points. Even the Texas heart shots ended up in an exploded hare. Got up to the gut/chest area and the whole thong just exploded. Side on shots to the chest just about tore them in half, though not as bad as the V-Max the other mate was using which did end up with the hare in two halves on a couple of occasions. I'll be going back to the Hornady soft points. No meat in the fridge.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Out in North Canterbury last night with @2gnscib and another good mate to deal to a few hares with the possibility of a pig or goat. We managed to deal to 30 odd rodents, mainly hares. Not sure what the story is but I missed a couple of shots at an easy magpie but somehow missed ending up just removing a few tail feathers so still not got one of those yet. Seems to be my nemesis species.

Not impressed with the performance of the Speer 55gr soft points. Even the Texas heart shots ended up in an exploded hare. Got up to the gut/chest area and the whole thong just exploded. Side on shots to the chest just about tore them in half, though not as bad as the V-Max the other mate was using which did end up with the hare in two halves on a couple of occasions. I'll be going back to the Hornady soft points. No meat in the fridge.
    dont try a 140 amax then, plucks,skins,debones in one shot
    Toby and big_foot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post

Can't see why you are unimpressed with the results from those bullets. That's what 22 cal varmint projectiles are supposed to do.
    If you want meat off a hare, head shoot them or use a FMJ.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I was out the door this morning at 4am, brilliant weather but it started packing in and raining at around 11am, saw this fella, notice the head shot. Do these still count as little pesties?
    Name:  IMG_0444.JPG
Views: 505
Size:  184.1 KB
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

nice work, made a mess of that one haha. What size rifle do you use?

7mm-08
    Dundee likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Can't see why you are unimpressed with the results from those bullets. That's what 22 cal varmint projectiles are supposed to do.
    If you want meat off a hare, head shoot them or use a FMJ.
    Head shots are what I usually go for. The Hornady projectiles give tighter groups so I can still get good accurate head shots out to about 200m.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

cheer up gadget -once cleaned up a hare with a 180gn slug outta yee old .303. yessiree that turned ol longears into an instant hit and asset -blood bone &compost. me? got a little bit of rear leg with mangled tendon attached! HMMMM did ya ever hear about a mallard&a 3"gooseload -ok itold ya that one did I???

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    cheer up gadget -once cleaned up a hare with a 180gn slug outta yee old .303. yessiree that turned ol longears into an instant hit and asset -blood bone &compost. me? got a little bit of rear leg with mangled tendon attached! HMMMM did ya ever hear about a mallard&a 3"gooseload -ok itold ya that one did I???
    Yes I remember that mallard, ... just about all that was left was the beak and the shadow.
    308 and Scouser like this.

A couple of shots from last nights effort. Chalked up the first kills for the new 17/222, 20gn Nosler shots FBHP sure make a mess.

Name:  9 12 14 F1 (Medium).JPG
Views: 694
Size:  166.1 KB

Name:  9 12 14 f2 C1 (Medium).JPG
Views: 627
Size:  131.7 KB

Name:  012 (Medium).JPG
Views: 667
Size:  153.4 KB
    Scouser and Kiwi-Hunter like this.