Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree18717Likes

Thread: What little pesties did you bowl over today?

Quote Originally Posted by Tararua Phil View Post
    Dundee,
    I assume your reply was sarcasm so let me make this perfectly clear.
    I was not throwing off @ anyones contribution to these threads or replies or implying such ( I'm sorry if it appeared like that) but simply & truthfully related an incident that actually happened a short time before I posted & which I thought viewers might be interested in being not a usual means of a pests destruction ( but is still a "pesty destroyed today). We have a lot of theses critters wandering around out here & any means of controlling them is welcome-- including dogs, vehicles, traps or firearms etc, the amazing thing for us was the fact that it happened so close to the house & I didn't have the means to record it.
    Wrong place @ the wrong time for the ferret anyway.
    Regards ,
    Phil.
    No sarcasm intended I was just stating a fact that I have never seen before,and a bit like your post couldn't capture the moment.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I really enjoy seeing all the stories about the pests you guys are bowling over - hares, rabbits, cats, possums, rats, weasels, stoats, ferrets and more - keep them coming - they are all pests in one way or another to someone or to our environment - especially the ones about stoats, ferrets and cats
    I hope I don’t bore you to tears with my stories and pictures about bird predator trapping and baiting - if so just let me know and I will give it a miss
    I am also a hunter but I am currently more focussed on bird predator control - round the farm where I try to breed heaps of pheasant, quail and native birds and up at the Te Puna Quarry Park where I hope to bring back pheasant, quail and native birds for visitors to enjoy
    I was up at the farm today and checked a couple of Timms traps that I have set just below the bush line - the bloody possums have just started to return after a few years of being controlled by trappers
    Sure enough - some bait is moving, one trap has a large furry beast inside and the other has a large spikey beast inside - first time I have ever had a hedgepig in a Timms trap - IMO - hedgepigs are a serious pest and predator of our ground nesting birds

good work time out.
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    No sarcasm intended I was just stating a fact that I have never seen before,and a bit like your post couldn't capture the moment.
    I'm sorry if I offended you Dundee.I've seen on other posts where replies were worded to "take the micky" out of the contributer & assumed that this was the case.

All that aside, I managed bowled 2 rabbits by the woolshed & another @ the shearers quarters this morning (Norinco JW15A, Rem subs, Parker hale suppressor ---all shot from the house & didn't even need to step out as the dog (ferret killer) fetched them for me to be made into his snacks, Perhaps the mate of that ferret is lurking about agitating the local population.
    Regards,
    Phil.
    gadgetman likes this.

First new year pestie
    Name:  New years day magpie.JPG
Views: 467
Size:  164.2 KB

A bit late ( done on boxing day ) , did drop 2 goats at 178yds with 22 Hornet , spotted then at 305yds & closed to 178yds before shooting them .
    seandundee likes this.

Bunny no 4 flattened @ 60yds by Mr Norinco from the lounge ranch slider this evening with 2 large hares, 3 magpies seen around the shearers quarters. Today has been a great day for bunny busting so far & the evening isn't over yet.
    mrs dundee likes this.

Tararua Phil do you eat rabbit,roast rabbit nice and rabbit nuggets are yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by seandundee View Post
    First new year pestie
    Attachment 32603
    Heh, I got one as well.

Name:  WP_20150101_011.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  1.03 MB
    seandundee likes this.

Yes we do eat rabbits on occasions with my lovely wife doing excellent "kentucky" style pieces & we've had stews in the past but thats about all. when we were first married about 40 odd yrs ago all we lived on were the rabbits, goat & the odd deer I managed to shoot but since we've been out here we just do the normal fare with the game meat as a specialty. At the moment the dog gets most of the small game we don't use.
    How do you do the nuggets?

This evening the 4th rabbit got knocked over for the day as well as a hare so in the last 12 hrs has filled the freezer a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Heh, I got one as well.

Attachment 32623
    Good on you Ryan. Plenty about @ the moment down here but still as wary as always, It looks like i'll have to do a bit of longer range shooting to keep up with you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tararua Phil View Post
    Yes we do eat rabbits on occasions with my lovely wife doing excellent "kentucky" style pieces & we've had stews in the past but thats about all. when we were first married about 40 odd yrs ago all we lived on were the rabbits, goat & the odd deer I managed to shoot but since we've been out here we just do the normal fare with the game meat as a specialty. At the moment the dog gets most of the small game we don't use.
    How do you do the nuggets?

This evening the 4th rabbit got knocked over for the day as well as a hare so in the last 12 hrs has filled the freezer a bit better.
    I wasn't offended just letting you know. Takes a lot to get me pissed off or pissed

Rabbit nuggets hare Phil

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...nuggets-13488/
    kiwi39, mrs dundee and big_foot like this.
    CFD

The summer blues were getting me down. ( stags with velvet and hinds with fawns ) I like shooting neither !
    So i thought yesterday arvo i should go and kill something, but i actually killed 24 somethings.
    The Tikka 223 was on fire scoring 21 head shots. Nothing too far, 115yds-205yds. The shooter was still hungova and the Redfield scope is shitty enough to look through let alone with bloodshot eyes.Name:  1.1.15.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  1.21 MB

Just been out , shot 3 magpies , and a monster goat , spotted at 505yds , BUT thought its a bit far for me little gun , 22 hornet , the closest I could get was 325yds , and my drop shrt ran out at 300yds , Opps , ( note to self , always make your chart further than you think is the usable range , as when you get a chance you cannot pass up , its better to have data available , and not have to fudge it ) .

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  87.9 KB
    Way outside my comfort zone even my K
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out