Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree18709Likes

Thread: What little pesties did you bowl over today?

G'day viper good going there mate with the cat ,looks well fed
    Mate how do you find the 17HMR ? I've often been going to buy one but haven't as yet
    We have major problems over here with cats and wild dogs, at present I use 22-250 but she has had over 3000
    rounds through her so it won't be long before I have to replace it was thinking 17HMR but not sure it will handle the wild dogs

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by rigga View Post
    Mate how do you find the 17HMR ? I've often been going to buy one but haven't as yet
    We have major problems over here with cats and wild dogs, at present I use 22-250 but she has had over 3000
    rounds through her so it won't be long before I have to replace it was thinking 17HMR but not sure it will handle the wild dogs

Cheers
    Hey Rigga, I use a HMR myself. Perfectly fine on cats, potentially a bit on the small size for dogs. I usually keep my shots within the 100 metre area max. Tend to find my misses go up further than that. I'd say you'd want to stick to centrefire varmint calibres for your style of shooting in oz at a guess. My 2c worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hummed yesty...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers
    Get another barrel, would be my suggestion

Cheers
    Stick with 22-250 as you have arguably one of the finest varminting chamberings created!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

I don't do varmint shooting but if you've had 3000 rounds through it you should be a good shot. I would take a new barrel about another 3000 through it haha

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Cheers
    It's a great little caliber mate and does what it is designed to do very well which is varminting, rabbit's, possums, etc. I have found it extremely effective on cats also.
    However as the boys on here have suggested it is to small on Dogs.
    However saying that there are plenty of clips on you tube of guys shooting Coyote's in the states. I also know of guys knocking over Fallow deer at close range.
    It's only a rimfire necked down .22 mag case, goes quick but the projectile lacks weight .
    I shoot out to 130 - 150 mtrs all day with it and have stretched it out to over 200 but wind etc can really play havoc with it.
    22-250 is a fine varminting round but I prefer the .223, ammo's cheaper and a barrel will go to 10,000 rds before it's buggered.
    I seen those wild dogs you guys have when I was over there, some are sizeable and tough, 17HMR would struggle.
    Best of luck mate.

Thanks viper and you other blokes for the info doesn't sound like it will make the grade for dogs
    I've shot 22-250 for years but things are getting a bit dear over here gun shops seem to be getting greedy lately
    and prices to reload has all but doubled for the 22-250
    My son has a 223 and it is up there in price for reloading also but that's the joys of being in the bush miles from
    the shops
    I think i'll rebarrel the 22-250 as yes some of the dogs do get large at times especially when they have crossed with
    Dane x or mastiff's
    My other alternative is to become a one gun man and sell the 22-250 and only use my 7mm rem which would cover everything I shoot
    Thanks for the info you all

cheers

I use 17hmr on the whitetail but really have to pick my shots and limit distance to 60m realistically. Another concern with the dogs, you hit it wound it and end up with it charging St you... Been bitten by a farm dog before, would hate to see what damage a wild one would do

Yeah I have killed a few goats with 17hmr at close range. They had been wounded by a bad shot with a 270. It did the job just but realistically 17hmr lacks penetration, makes it ideal on rabbits, hares and possums. 22-250 covers you rabbits to dogs well.

Reloading is even more expensive here.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    I use 17hmr on the whitetail but really have to pick my shots and limit distance to 60m realistically. Another concern with the dogs, you hit it wound it and end up with it charging St you... Been bitten by a farm dog before, would hate to see what damage a wild one would do
    Geez that's a good effort mate, I know the 22 Mag is a very good Deer killer ( again close and choosing your shot ) , it is a lazer though and dumps a lot of energy very quickly, a nice little 20gr soft point that's got a nice jacket and it could be a surprising killer.

Thanks viper and you other blokes for the info doesn't sound like it will make the grade for dogs
    I've shot 22-250 for years but things are getting a bit dear over here gun shops seem to be getting greedy lately
    and prices to reload has all but doubled for the 22-250
    My son has a 223 and it is up there in price for reloading also but that's the joys of being in the bush miles from
    the shops
    I think i'll rebarrel the 22-250 as yes some of the dogs do get large at times especially when they have crossed with
    Dane x or mastiff's
    My other alternative is to become a one gun man and sell the 22-250 and only use my 7mm rem which would cover everything I shoot
    Thanks for the info you all

cheers
    Still reckon 223 mate, you and your son take split the reloading costs so the ammo is heaps cheaper, good excuse for some father / son time. 12 pack of XXXX , talk some shit , have some laughs , cheap ammo and dead dogs. BOOM, solved it.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Geez that's a good effort mate, I know the 22 Mag is a very good Deer killer ( again close and choosing your shot ) , it is a lazer though and dumps a lot of energy very quickly, a nice little 20gr soft point that's got a nice jacket and it could be a surprising killer.
    Yep, 20gr hollow point. Doesn't group as well as the 17 but figure it's got a bit more stopping power (anywhere in the eye...)
    viper likes this.

Or just behind the ear

Three of us hunting rabbits just west of Napier this week, shot 1120 for three afternoon/nights. Takes the total off the property to just over 28,000 in the past 4 years.
    viper, Mintie, quentin and 5 others like this.