Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree18710Likes

Thread: What little pesties did you bowl over today?

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Here's the vid of my North Island Big Cat experience ;-) Make sure you have the volume up to hear the savage thing...

haha i watched that vid on you tube yesterday
    GWH and BSA270 like this.
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

Have been out to a mates farm the last two nights. 15 bunnies on the first and another 8 on the second.

Got permission to shoot over the neighbour's fence as well (from the neighbour) so bowled a couple down right next to his vege garden.

Hoping to get the invite to walk the neighbour's farm too as the numbers are dropping pretty quickly on the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsenabout View Post
    Have been out to a mates farm the last two nights. 15 bunnies on the first and another 8 on the second.

Got permission to shoot over the neighbour's fence as well (from the neighbour) so bowled a couple down right next to his vege garden.

Hoping to get the invite to walk the neighbour's farm too as the numbers are dropping pretty quickly on the first one.
    Also top tip, check how many of the fence wires are hot before you stick your barrel through them!
    Blisters likes this.

The dog is still sat there, waiting to be issued the order to re-kill the magpies. He refuses to accept the futility of this situation.

Just...say...the...word

went to a mates place to site in my 3006 on Tues night but flew a few clays first, we set up the thrower and this guy pops his head up, I love my little 410!Name:  20211116_181650.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  3.84 MB

Enjoyable recce trip to new McKenzie country station this weekend.

Stayed in Tekapo and explored alot of new terrain. We'll do alot better as we learn the station and shoot new blocks that have not been shot heavily and poisoned, but we still managed 180 varmints - 170 rabbits and 10 wallabies. A good start and great fun
    Trout, Micky Duck and quentin like this.

Managed to find a source of powder, projectiles, and primers for the 17 hornet, so can use it again.

At just under 100M, it's kinda overkill on the rabbits, but very satisfying.

Name:  2021-11-23_20-25-02.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  718.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    Managed to find a source of powder, projectiles, and primers for the 17 hornet, so can use it again.

At just under 100M, it's kinda overkill on the rabbits, but very satisfying.

Attachment 184200
    @quentin PM me if you want to share that source, I'm getting short on projectiles

Some quality longer range .22LR this evening. The only way I can get onto this little warren is from above and quite far away - they hang out around the edges of that little stand of natives between the recently mown paddock and the un-cut paddock to the right. Range was between 135-145m, using subsonic HPs.

Had a really tricky fickle breeze blowing left to right that caused the first three shots to drift right a tad more than I thought they would, clean misses but only bloody just. Also I shot slightly high, a function of the downhill angle. Each time I missed I had to sit and wait for the rabbits to come back out… Good thing about the dust is you can see the bullet splash so once I’d worked out my windage and drop it was a case of sorry mate, next time you come out you’re time is up.

Then a hare very unwisely ran into the fray, and he got nailed too at exactly 150m, which I think is my longest ever Lagomorph with the .22LR using subs. (Got a magpie on the ground at 152m two days ago, definitely my longest. Had to shoot it twice as well. Chuffed with that.) So getting the hang of this new ammo, which is very consistent and spot on. The CZ 455 is properly dialled in now. Bloody good fun, challenging and a good way to spent a mint evening.

As I walked the long way around to get to my quarry, I watched two harriers - an adult and a young ‘un - swoop in and pick up a couple of the smaller rabbits and them down the gully to pluck fur and have a solid feed. Nice to see that.

Last edited by Flyblown; 25-11-2021 at 09:21 PM.
    Just...say...the...word

Me & the Missus mornings spotlighting dog tucker keepers from the neighbors farms ,we have been going out a couple of times a week as the neighbor injured himself & can not get up the hills anymore so asked us to take over their rabbit control.

We have been on our farm for 14yrs now & about 6 yrs ago the rabbit numbers crashed & this year is the first year there has been good numbers again .

Name:  RED Dog Tucker Sml.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  94.4 KB
    Trout, Micky Duck, MB and 1 others like this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Another Syntong adventure last night on a block up the road. The clip on certainly makes a difference. Once I spot them the light goes off, I Aquire them in the scope n goodnight nurse. They’ll just sit there. Still need to try a red light though…

Three possum(one recovered) four hares, a hedge pig, magpie n a cat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    7mmwsm, Mintie, BSA270 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    which I think is my longest ever Lagomorph with the .22LR using subs.
    How long have you been waiting to use that word?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    How long have you been waiting to use that word?
    Daily occurrence! I speak in Latin most of the time.

Did you have to look it up?
    Northkiwi likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

GWH
    I took the 17 Hornet out for an outing late Sat arvo. Visited a new vineyard property that was suppose to have a few rabbits around.

We saw very few, and managed to shoot most of them. Including head shots at 200+ yards and a lone hare in very poor condition.

Such an epic fun little cartridge.

However, in a little tiny paddock at the back of a neighboring lifestyle property we counted about 40 rabbits.

I'd better go knock on their door

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Daily occurrence! I speak in Latin most of the time.

Did you have to look it up?
    I did.