Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

Like Tree18691Likes

Thread: What little pesties did you bowl over today?

first 4 of the evening . . 222 sako, 6X khales

Name:  20220108_191651.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  3.55 MB
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Im sure heaven will look somethin like that place....
    Trout, bunji, JessicaChen and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Well it's bloody hot in Central.
    Working a little farm , first two shots of the evening, and no it isn't Racial profiling.Attachment 187122
    Iv shot the odd white hare,but never seen a black hare in the 50 yrs iv been in the Mackenzie.Interesting.
    Dundee likes this.

50g vmax leaving the station at 3800fps gave these 3 a gut ache, only had to use 2 bullets
    Name:  Snapchat-542878981.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  1.51 MB
    Trout, bunji and Shearer like this.

@charliehorse Thats a nice looking Varminting rifle set up what is the breakdown of it ?
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

@bunji it's a Bergara B14 HMR 1:9 with a vortex viper on top and trigger tech primary to replace the factory trigger. 24inch heavy barrel. Can't weigh it as the kitchen scales only go to 5kg, IIRC 9lbs out of the box. Shoots everything from 50g to 75g. Haven't tried anything heavier

thats one mighty serious lookn rig you have there @charliehorse . . i find myself thinkn how far could you shoot out to with the heavier 75s.
    a guy i know with the traditional slow twist .22/250 using 50s longest hits so far is +600 yards which surprised me, wasnt expecting that tiny bullet to carry that far accurately . . do you reload ?

The reason i mention reloading is the guy i mentioned with the 250 did the right thing, got a bunch of different ammo types and picked the most accurate in his rifle . . then he couldnt get anymore for some reason . . he went fck it, got a thermal and gave Varminting a miss for awhile.

took the scope off the 250 and put it on his new LR 7mm Mag, found some good ammo his rifle likes, shot out to 700 yards on steel, went on one goat shoot to confirm, all good . . he now tells me they stopped making his favourite ammo for that rifle . . tragic !

@rossi.45 yea mate reloading for it. Longest shot 350 something on a plover. Don't get a lot of opportunities at big distances. Have shot steel to 400. Like anything if you know the drop and can read the wind then you should be sweet.......got thing about .224 is theres plenty to choose from
    rossi.45 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Black Hares???? Never seen one.
    Those were rabbits. O'Rourkes mounted a black hare.
    Trout likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Iv shot the odd white hare,but never seen a black hare in the 50 yrs iv been in the Mackenzie.Interesting.
    Shot this ages ago in the Tararua District,but my pre taxidermy prep was a balls up,so it looks better in the pic than the actual mount.
    Name:  Copy of white hare 002.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  114.2 KB
    Trout and Shearer like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

What I think it looks ok @Dundee Name:  A5AB6142-EBA1-4F38-B0D8-6BF57FA6B4FF.jpeg
Views: 248
Size:  11.1 KB
    Dundee likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Took the M2 to see if I could bowl a couple of peacocks I'd seen earlier, but the buggers were gone. While surveilling the area, a magpie flew towards me. Not sure if saw me or not, but when he got to within 10 metres, he copped a face full of 3 shot.
    Name:  IMG00928.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  1.44 MB
    Dundee likes this.

I picked up a couple of new permissions this week, which is really cool. One is a small remnant of an old dry stock farm, the other is an old dairy farm that was let go and is in the process of being re-established. They are only a couple of kilometres apart.

My job is to kill the hares and rabbits. Both properties have decent amount of riparian ground along a pretty decent spring fed stream; heaps of ducks and herons and assorted other flying things. The folk that own these properties are previous winners of the “NZ most improved waterway” award, and hares in particular are bad news for their native riparian planting projects.

I got a guided tour today and a clear view on boundaries, neighbours, sheds, etc etc. Then I went for a walk which was just about perfect, not too hot, gentle breeze and plenty of opportunities for the .22LR. First evening walk tally of three hares, seven rabbits and half a dozen magpies. Not too shabby.

Gotta love this kind of pest control, easy on the old dad bod, challenging shooting, great company (owner’s elderly Springer… super well behaved, but clearly blind & deaf and stinks like a half dead leper).

Dundee, Mintie, Sideshow and 4 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Hiding from the heat.