Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree18691Likes

Thread: What little pesties did you bowl over today?

Love bunny shooting at this time of year. Nice and cool, grass is short, bunnies are on a go slow. A good few about, pretty normal here at this time of year. They’ve been digging new burrows higher up in the paddocks, I reckon some of those warrens in the gullies will be wet after the winter we’ve had so far.

Whacked a few here and there. This heavily pregnant doe was fast asleep in the sun at 102m, with unaware parries between me and it. So I settled down for a longer sitting shot, took my time and drilled it right through the forehead. Pleased with that. Check out its ear.

Only problem is the bloody knee is playing up again…

Name:  B793B4A7-ACFF-4918-9ED2-E09B368CAB61.jpeg
Views: 296
Size:  4.47 MB
    Trout, viper and RUMPY like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Busyish morning with a couple stock shifts then some pest control…

Ended up with another maggie shot n two more turkeys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last nights spotlight intended for rabbits - not one to be seen, but bagged two wild cats instead... others soon got the drift and ran off quick smart!
    Dundee and Shearer like this.

feral cat. 40 meters, 15 feet up. led lenser focusable head torch.
    tx200 .22 air rifle. Name:  IMG_20220729_182834.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  1.64 MBName:  IMG_20220729_183226.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  1.30 MBName:  IMG_20220729_184011.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  3.54 MB
    Dundee, Trout, Shearer and 4 others like this.

Thats good shooting and power from the TX, I've got one in 177 putting out 13ftp, what foot pounds would your 22 cal be putting out ?

I'm not sure, never had it over a chronograph. I'm using air arms 16 grain field deablo. Hunting pellets are sorted from tin and are 5.52mm in head size and are weighed to .005grm either side of stated grain weight.That gives me constant proformance.
    So at 600 fps it's 12.79fpi, at 700fps it would be 17.41 fpi. I'm thinking it's probly around the 700. As for good shooting I've found 2 things
    1 it actually seems to be better at 30meters +. I'm assuming the pellet has stabalise more after that range. ( testing multiple targets ranging from 10 meters to 40)
    2 I'm a much better shot in the field. I seem to step up a notch when hunting.
    I also put countless (the joys of $30 per 500 pellets) shots into targets on windy day so I know the affect of wind on my pellets.
    Ive download heaps of anitomical diagrams and pics of my target species. I study the placement of the vitals ( like what ribs the heart align with, then get skeleton pic in different positions and identify where the organ is. From there I transfer that point onto photos of the animals in the wild so I can see exactly where I'm shooting and work out how I would shoot it from different angles, and what shots won't work due to bone and muscle mass.
    you'll notice that shot on the cat sits back a bit due to shape of brain cavity and angle. A shot just where I would have put it on level ground probably would have required a follow up.
    Total accuracy for air rifles they don't have the shock value of a rim fire.
    The tx200 isn't the most powerful air rifle but it sure as hell is an accurate one. That kills.
    Bit long winded sorry. Do you hunt with the . 177? how do you find it for shooting and accuracy?

kruza has already seen this

Ive recently rebuilt my .25cal Hatsan 125 sniper, took these two starlings at 45m yesterday.

Name:  IMG_20220729_122952 - sm.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  872.4 KB
    kruza likes this.

kruza has already seen this

Ive recently rebuilt my .25cal Hatsan 125 sniper, took these two starlings at 45m yesterday.

Attachment 202608

177 is a TX200 HC so has the shorter barrel, accuracy is as good, as it gets for a springer, using 7.9g Jsbs, haven't taken it hunting at yet. They are fiddily to load in 177 with cold hands.
    Ps try the JSB Hades for the birds, pigeons swack and down, very impressed.
    kruza likes this.

I think the actual barrel length is the same mine just has an incorporated sound shroud, which doesn't add any extra length to barrel for extra volicity..177 should take out a rabbit easily from what I've read.
    yep seen the hanson is a nice looking gun billbob. Sounds like you did a great job rebuilding and modifying it. obviously acurate those are small targets to hit. Id have liked the pic but still haven't worked out how. I've been out shooting a couple of times and wondered about that hansan .25 in place of tx. I'm a little envious.

HAHA no im envious of you and your TX - the are still on my list of wants. the .25 is very accurate but ive had to do a bit of work to the gun to get it that way like breech shimming etc.... firing very smooth now ive rebuilt the vortex piston. Ive gone a bit far and ballistic calculated the turret for shots from 15m out to 80m which has been brilliant for longer shots. (need to redo the turret since the rebuild)

More envious now.

GWH
    I had a good session shooting pests in the orchard on Friday night, after dark with the Pard IR NV gear.

The strong wind we had all day tapered off to nothing and the animals were out in force.

I had shot this property during daylight hours to the point where I struggled to see a rabbit.

Amaising how many more you see after dark when using the IR scanner and IR scope.

There's 50 odd less of them now!

I can imagine how well a thermal would work at spotting them.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Having breakfast this morning, rabbit runs out on to lawn and round garden. Get PCP out ,step outside and it runs away, finish coffee. 5 minutes later 2 rabbits come out ,one shot one dead[ rabbit. Back to reading the news on my tablet 10 minutes later other rabbit out looking at his dead mate another shot both dead.
    Photo shows where they fell shot at just over 40 meters.
    Name:  20220731_092802.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  6.41 MB
    Dundee, Trout, GWH and 10 others like this.

I'm just in awe of the fact that you have 40m of lawn !!
    If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need. Oh, and a dog, and a rifle