Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 1080

I noticed when 1080 drop was advised in the local newspaper deer repellant was being used, then in the smallest of smallest of writing at the bottom it said something along the lines of deer repellant used within 300 mts of private property

Quote Originally Posted by chindit View Post
    I noticed when 1080 drop was advised in the local newspaper deer repellant was being used, then in the smallest of smallest of writing at the bottom it said something along the lines of deer repellant used within 300 mts of private property
    Conditions vary. Mostly the use of repellent is negotiated following lobbying. NZDA, Game Council and Sika Foundation all do a great job here. They also audit and monitor repellents' use.

The Haurangis have a history of repellent being used and the deer population is excellent through to too many.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by chindit View Post
    300m ? I thought there was a legal requirement for 1 km buffer zone around all private land?!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    >>For a good number of years now various people/agencies have talked about using a contraceptive approach to the NZ possum problem. Yet nothing seems to have happened. Still we see millions of dollars spent on 1080 drops. The UK has taken action to eradicate grey squirrels and "The government scientists leading the research say the contraceptive, which makes both male and female grey squirrels infertile, should be ready to deploy in the wild within two years." https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62096272

WTF is the NZ government thinking in their persistent use of poison that is indiscriminate when the money could have (and still could be) spent on a contraceptive programme.
    Different scenarios, UK has other endemic native mammals to consider regarding poison.<<

Though Science being Science, the information gained will be available and the UK findings could well engender cost savings for a similar effort here.
    Just remember when they start using this in pest in NZ there will be more people then hunters that will be happy to use the same program on game animals

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Just remember when they start using this in pest in NZ there will be more people then hunters that will be happy to use the same program on game animals
    Exactly. Be careful about what you wish for.
    The same with bio-control. Species jump is a risk, as is it getting into Ausies 'possums. They would not be happy.
    CBH Australia likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Does anyone know the bait material and dose?

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    300m ? I thought there was a legal requirement for 1 km buffer zone around all private land?!
    Operational buffers are what ever the consent states they’ll be.