Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Dicko
  • 4 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 2 Post By 257weatherby
  • 1 Post By GSP HUNTER
  • 2 Post By TeRei
  • 1 Post By Taff
  • 1 Post By TeRei

Thread: 110 Hornady hp on deer.

sneakywaza I got

110 Hornady hp on deer.

Been lookin for a 25/06 recently, thought occurred to me to replicate one by running 100 and 110 pills in my .270, because I have been a bit of a magpie collecting pills the last while so I just happened to have both on the shelf - buggered knee means no hunting lately so time to fool about and over think stuff.

Turns out my Browning loves the 110hp ,different cases, different primers, different powders, different altitudes, bipod, over a bag, it just doesn't care, holds 3/4 moa out to 400yds all the time, at 3200fps I could easily make them go faster, but that might actually be counter productive to the job of shooting deer with them, I've got lots of them, so looking for comment from any of you lot that have actually used them on deer or Tahr. Actually used them.

Likes the 100gn Speer Sp too, same poi and just as accurate, will be hell on hoppers! handy I've got lots of them!

Prompted me to order a better trigger spring for it, stock trigger gets in the way of consistent accurate shooting, might even suppress the thing.

I’ve played at lot with the .25/06 , .257 Rob AI and .270 Win.

In the quarter bore I like 100 gns on light game inc goats and fallow. 117/120s on anything bigger.

However I think a soft 130 like a sierra in the .270 is more versatile than the .257 100-120s. They Deliver more knockdown more quickly and shoots almost as flat. I would not worry about using 110s or lighter.

A soft 130 and a stiffer one ( 130 partition or AB etc) or heavier (150) pill covers your bases and keeps life simple.

In fact my quarterbore has not been used for some time now as a result.

But you can follow your own path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dannyb likes this.

the hornady 110grn hps blow up REALLY REALLY WELL......blow a hole/cavity inside a wallaby about the size and shape of a 1litre coke bottle...lightning bolts I called them...RUMPY uses them now too...I shot 1 fallow using them and only one. yearling,broadside on and hit it in shoulder,it went down screaming...till finished it with 130grn norma...next time you come past I will shot you the hide,saucer sized hole in NEARSIDE shoulder.....they will stop inside a dried cowpat,eg wont penertrate through and into ground...the soft point version will be much safer option and if you HAVE to use the hps,in the crease or earhole ONLY....and be prepared to shoot again.

Yes, very effective on wallabies out of the 270.
    257weatherby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the hornady 110grn hps blow up REALLY REALLY WELL......blow a hole/cavity inside a wallaby about the size and shape of a 1litre coke bottle...lightning bolts I called them...RUMPY uses them now too...I shot 1 fallow using them and only one. yearling,broadside on and hit it in shoulder,it went down screaming...till finished it with 130grn norma...next time you come past I will shot you the hide,saucer sized hole in NEARSIDE shoulder.....they will stop inside a dried cowpat,eg wont penertrate through and into ground...the soft point version will be much safer option and if you HAVE to use the hps,in the crease or earhole ONLY....and be prepared to shoot again.
    Shot one deer broadside with 110gr sierra prohunter which I assume is a lot more stout than the HPs and it made a hell of a mess
    Micky Duck likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    That's exactly the info I was after. 130 Speer Hotcor shoots the same windage and elevation out to 300 so I'll keep the 110 for hoppers. Or Moose. Be Ideal for NZ Moose.
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

I went down the same rabbit hole. Had several 25 06's and found them to be good killers and light on recoil. Sold the last one and went to a Tikka 695 in 270, ran 110 ttsx ( awesome out to 250 on big bodied reds ) and a a short run on 110 pro hunters on fallow.
    In that rifle I run 130 fusions and 110ttsx. Great combo, hard hitting.
    Never looked back to the good ole 25.
    Carbine likes this.

I loaded 50 rounds of 110gr Barnes TTSX for a dude who uses them up at Tuai in his 270. Still slowly getting thru them as he says they are so brutal on deer never has had to use more than 1 each time.
    tetawa and Micky Duck like this.

Tested 110 270 for Norma yrs ago on foxes and deer, great for headshots on deer, blew foxes up. Picture below is a muntjac at approx 100yds, I have used them on goats here, but you need to be at least 200yds away
    Name:  057AC216-73C5-42E3-A930-18622D928EAF.jpeg
Views: 169
Size:  157.7 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.

Hope you didn't want to eat the tongue.... @TeRei what powder you stoke under those 110g ttsx?

2213SC. Need to check but think 59gr. The 270 has a big boiler room so need slow burner powder.
    charliehorse likes this.