Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 13 mile bush

13 mile bush

Heading up here tomorrow by myself anybody can tell me what I can expect, do I have to push quite far in to find anything and so on.

Never been in there but I’d say you’d have to have a pretty hard look with it being the closest hunting block to Christchurch, be interesting to see how you get on. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will do buddy , yeah I expect as such but I guess the rifle will mostly be my companion, it’s just a chance to try and scope out the area learn my ways around and if I find something I’ll have a good dinner

Head all the way to the hutt and then hit the tops from there man! If you go first and last light I’m sure you’ll see something

Haven't been up there since I was a teenager but always used to get results on the bush edge morning and night.

ahhh sounds sweet fellas thanks!
    Does anyone have a mapped access point, says somewhere along porters pass and lyndon rd, presumably where is passes through the conservation area? is it signposted at all?
    ill update you all with photos tomorrow , hopefully dinner will be good! looking for goats!

Also is it acceptable to fire of a couple of shots to make sure your shooting on target (scope and such, taking into account all firearm safety requirements and such) I'm not talking target practise.

Plenty of people do fire sighting in shots when they get to their hunting grounds, but it's like cutting your nose off to.spight your face really. In a heavily hunted block,those animals are real gun shy.

There is a legal access through a station before you get to the bottom of Porters Pass. You do need a 4WD to get to the end of the track. I haven't been up there for a few years but I usually saw a few deer around.

Yes that's Benmore station. You go down Benmore road on the left about half way along the straight.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 15-11-2018 at 09:13 PM.

How’d you get on man?

Yo tianbotha had a really good day actually , entrance was really easy to find which was a worry at first. Pretty dense bush after the first walk alongside the farm land so that makes it pretty hard to see much (for me anyway) got up to the hut and had spotted a few rabbits by then on the plains. Unsure where to go next I hung out a bit then walked back down the the clearing and stayed there a while but no sightings. Then on my way back I heard some grunting in the bushes that were just over the fence to the farm , pigs! 3 of em but being on the farm land even though just I left em be.

Great day bloody good for your legs haha.

You will learn a little each time you venture out , that's when you will start having success. Good start seeing the pigs next time they might be where you can shoot.

Haha I’d say I was bloody lucky is all. But yeah I’m really keen to hit the same spot again and push on further, I dunno if there’s a cleaning up high where you can get a better view around you.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1991 View Post
    Yo tianbotha had a really good day actually , entrance was really easy to find which was a worry at first. Pretty dense bush after the first walk alongside the farm land so that makes it pretty hard to see much (for me anyway) got up to the hut and had spotted a few rabbits by then on the plains. Unsure where to go next I hung out a bit then walked back down the the clearing and stayed there a while but no sightings. Then on my way back I heard some grunting in the bushes that were just over the fence to the farm , pigs! 3 of em but being on the farm land even though just I left em be.

Great day bloody good for your legs haha.
    Yea I easily do 20kms when I go for a day trip there haha, next time get to the hutt and as your facing the door to your right is a ridge line, follow that up and you’ll hit the top of that mountain you follow up the valley, some nice openings when you get to the top! Followed a big old stag a few years ago but it ducked over the valley and back into the tree line

outdoorlad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TianBotha View Post
    Yea I easily do 20kms when I go for a day trip there haha, next time get to the hutt and as your facing the door to your right is a ridge line, follow that up and you’ll hit the top of that mountain you follow up the valley, some nice openings when you get to the top! Followed a big old stag a few years ago but it ducked over the valley and back into the tree line

ahhh right on, awesome, you as i got there i thought it'd just carry on as the thick bush for however long so i thought going back to the clearing was a good idea,

right next saturday hitting it again and going to the top, after being these pigs I'm determined to get something back, feeling alot more confident now, thanks for your info it really does help.
    madmaori and TianBotha like this.