Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 155 A-max in 308Win

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Does it matter? I've given you a speed to work with, but anyway it's 18".
    The intended distance is as far as I can without fucking it up
    Do you shoot 155 A-Max in a 308 Win?
    No I don't shoot 155 gr A-Max in my 308s.
    I'm at target shooter using a 32" 1:10 barrel firing 155 gr Lapua Scenar, 155 gr Berger Hybrid and 185 gr Berger Hybrid out to 1000 yards.

I do shoot 80 gr A-Max in my 223, out to 1000 yards (in light winds) out to 800 yards in stronger winds, 1:7 twist 26" barrel.

Advice that can be offered to you will depend on the configuration of your rifle.
    I was asking so I could be more helpful.
    kiwijames likes this.

my go too is 165 NBT , 18" barrel , 2678 fps cant fault the load from 30m to 500 il never change it unless they stop making them & even then id likely panic buy to keep me going , iv been really surprised the way these projectiles preform I look back 25,ish years ago and ballistic tips to me were relatively new & very explosive but these NBT don't explode at all , only down side is there reasonably pricey .
    Last edited by Boaraxa; 27-03-2020 at 09:10 PM.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    No I don't shoot 155 gr A-Max in my 308s.
    I'm at target shooter using a 32" 1:10 barrel firing 155 gr Lapua Scenar, 155 gr Berger Hybrid and 185 gr Berger Hybrid out to 1000 yards.

I do shoot 80 gr A-Max in my 223, out to 1000 yards (in light winds) out to 800 yards in stronger winds, 1:7 twist 26" barrel.

Advice that can be offered to you will depend on the configuration of your rifle.
    I was asking so I could be more helpful.
    I appreciate the offer to help and maybe I was less polite than I could have been.
    I’m really wanting feedback on terminal performance as I would like to be certain that I’m going to kill deer size animal as effectively as possible.
    I’m shit at finding downed animals at the best of times so the less they travel the better (plus it’s more humane).
    veitnamcam and Cyclops like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    my go too is 165 NBT , 18" barrel , 2678 fps cant fault the load from 30m to 500 il never change it unless they stop making them & even then id likely panic buy to keep me going , iv been really surprised the way these projectiles preform I look back 25,ish years ago and ballistic tips to me were relatively new & very explosive but these NBT don't explode at all , only down side is there reasonably pricey .
    Yeah I’m a NBT fan. I started with 150NBT but I had a pressure issue so I started from scratch and changed everything to try and figure shit out.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

If I may.

Run some numbers on the 178 amax (not sure if still available but the eldm is spost to be the same?)

Now one wouldnt think 10 grains of bullet weight in the same projectile would make feck all difference but they are or were miles apart in terminal performance.

despite me driving the 178 over 200fps faster in another caliber it never failed to penetrate and exit with substantial damage from near zero yds to well over 500y.

Rumor has it the 178 copper bit is a shortened 208 copper bit and the 168 is a different copper bit and the 155 is a shortened 168 copper bit....whether that is all bullishit I have no idea but I do know the two behave totally differently and that is over a decent sample size.
    Tahr and kiwijames like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I’ve still got 100 or so of the 155gr A-Max loaded up. Great medium / long range bullet. Less great very short range bullet. This question goes hand-in-hand with the other thread about close range GameKing performance. I don’t particularly rate the A-Max as an all-rounder as it has been as messy as hell on close range reds for me. Two very specific close range neck shots I recall that failed, paralysed but didn’t kill the animals despite the point of impact being around the C6 / C7 vertebrae. Complete vaporisation of the bullet, bones were still mostly intact. I put it down to my ignorance to be honest, should have known better.

The exact same shot placement with the subsequent choice - 165gr Nosler BT - blew the vertebrae to smithereens. That’s the thick base holding together. A-Max and ELD-M are best employed at lower impact velocities in my experience.

If I could find a way to get them to you @kiwijames, you can try some of mine if you like. Loaded to SAAMI spec, mid-range powder charge.
    kiwijames and Cyclops like this.
    Just...say...the...word

I have been using the 155 A-max for a few years now for hunting / target / varmint !!!
    And i still use them now , so says alot really!!!
    Used them for Roe, Red and found them personally a good performer!!!
    There was 4 of us using the 155 A-max in (4) Parker Hale TX1200s /(1) M82/(1) M85/ for hunting ,and out to 1000yds target / Varmint shooting and we found them very good!!!Name:  1017yds.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  42.3 KBName:  1017yds steel challenge.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  68.7 KB ( 1017yds target )
    My current 308 and still using the 155 A-maxName:  DSC_0301.JPG
Views: 321
Size:  5.60 MB
    Cyclops likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I appreciate the offer to help and maybe I was less polite than I could have been.
    I’m really wanting feedback on terminal performance as I would like to be certain that I’m going to kill deer size animal as effectively as possible.
    I’m shit at finding downed animals at the best of times so the less they travel the better (plus it’s more humane).
    No harm, no foul.
    Plenty of interesting answers from others for you to consider.
    kiwijames likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    I’ve still got 100 or so of the 155gr A-Max loaded up. Great medium / long range bullet. Less great very short range bullet. This question goes hand-in-hand with the other thread about close range GameKing performance. I don’t particularly rate the A-Max as an all-rounder as it has been as messy as hell on close range reds for me. Two very specific close range neck shots I recall that failed, paralysed but didn’t kill the animals despite the point of impact being around the C6 / C7 vertebrae. Complete vaporisation of the bullet, bones were still mostly intact. I put it down to my ignorance to be honest, should have known better.

The exact same shot placement with the subsequent choice - 165gr Nosler BT - blew the vertebrae to smithereens. That’s the thick base holding together. A-Max and ELD-M are best employed at lower impact velocities in my experience.

If I could find a way to get them to you @kiwijames, you can try some of mine if you like. Loaded to SAAMI spec, mid-range powder charge.
    Appreciate the offer. I've got a couple dozen 150NBT's to work with so can toy with those (once the terminal reset is over).