Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree300Likes

Thread: 18 months of hunting

nak
    Good luck bloke...sounds epic. Great time of your life to do something like this.
    Frodo likes this.

I agree with all of the above but especially GWH- who knows where this could lead to. Such an adventure! Good luck and safe travels.
    GWH and Frodo like this.

Good on you frodo , sounds better than a lot of peoples O/E's . I had a go at 6 weeks hunting and really enjoyed it . 18 months is going to be amazing . Once you get that high level of fitness it makes it a lot more enjoyable too. You are definatly starting at the top too . That first winter in fiordland is going to set you up for anything the rest of the country can throw at you.
    Frodo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ANOTHERHUNTER View Post
    Good on you frodo , sounds better than a lot of peoples O/E's . I had a go at 6 weeks hunting and really enjoyed it . 18 months is going to be amazing . Once you get that high level of fitness it makes it a lot more enjoyable too. You are definatly starting at the top too . That first winter in fiordland is going to set you up for anything the rest of the country can throw at you.
    Thanks for the support mate. Means a lot. 6 weeks! That's still a good stretch. Feel free to flick me a PM about it if you've got some cool stories to share.

Yeah - no need for an expensive gym membership! Haha.

Fiordland winters - gave it a shot last year, and it was the most challenging thing I'd ever done. Will be more prepared this time around for sure.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Good on you Frodo. Give it heaps and enjoy the open spaces we have on offer. Most of us only dream about such adventures and never actually pull finger and do it, stick to you goal.
    Frodo likes this.

How much shooting are you going to do? What will you do with all the meat?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkeye View Post
    How much shooting are you going to do? What will you do with all the meat?
    One or two animals (max) per trip is the goal. Some of the meat I'll keep for myself, and the rest I can give away as dog tucker.
    bigbear likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    One or two animals (max) per trip is the goal. Some of the meat I'll keep for myself, and the rest I can give away as dog tucker.
    Don't shoot animals purely to give away as dog Tucker, I reckon you are better off using the camera more than the rifle and just taking anything that's special or if you really need some meat.
    outdoorlad, Pengy, WallyR and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Don't shoot animals purely to give away as dog Tucker, I reckon you are better off using the camera more than the rifle and just taking anything that's special or if you really need some meat.
    Yep, agree. I've sent you a PM Ryan.

Cheers.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I agree, i know you haven't shot many animals & it's tempting to get stuck into knocking plenty over but you don't want to diminish the experience or measure it by how many "kills" you get. If you are going to spend 18months hunting then you should set a few animal goals, like only chammy over say 9" with a goal of getting a 10" one, once you have shot a couple of 10pt stags only look for 12+ etc

You learn a lot from watching & letting animals go. All the best
    R93, Blisters, nickbop and 2 others like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

This sounds like a epic adventure, be safe and enjoy the great outdoors we have on our doorstep. Will be watching out for your posts etc in the future.
    Frodo likes this.

Such a cool idea!

let me know if I can help!

What calibre is the Mauser? 8x57?
    Frodo likes this.
    Warm Barrels!

Have you thought about being more flexible on work? also look at having a week or 2 blocks of work at a time.
    Then also just have a couple of days to relax at a time if you can find somewhere to stay off the hills and not need to work.
    Frodo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget connaisseur View Post
    Have you thought about being more flexible on work? also look at having a week or 2 blocks of work at a time.
    Then also just have a couple of days to relax at a time if you can find somewhere to stay off the hills and not need to work.
    I'd like to make it as challenging as possible, so I'm sticking to two days. I'll find a way to make it work... I hope.