Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

2019 Tahr Hunt - East Coast

Hi Guys,

I am looking to plan a DIY hunt for Tahr next year out the east coast of south island. I believe the area is called the Te Kahui Kaupeka Conservation Park (correct me if I am wrong).

Im a long time hunter from Australia and have made a few trips overseas before, one being for Wapiti a few years back in Fiordland. My brother has had multiple trips to NZ, hence the idea to have an adventure by going DIY for Tahr and guided for Chamois.

Being a first time hunter for Tahr in a region I don't know I was wandering if I could seek some advice on this area?

We are looking to hunt out of the Crooked Spur Hut or Stone Hut areas for 5 days (June/July) next year, potentially using the Mesopotamia Station helicopter for access from the outset.

Understanding the current Tahr situation is something that I don't want to start a loooong thread about but worth your 2 cents on with this specific location if important.

Any ideas on this plan of attack?

Has anyone hunted this area before?

Any gear requirements outside of the normal/general for backpack hunting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if this has already been covered before please point to the right threads!

Regards,

Lpats

Lots of warm gear. Ice axes and crampons would also be a good idea, you may not need them but there’s a high chance there will be a fair bit of snow around by then.

I’ve hunted the Rangitata a fair bit but not those specific areas, generally there should be reasonable numbers of Tahr but we’ll see how these culls go.

Message me closer to your trip and I’d be happy to check out the area for you. A DIY hunt is definitely the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used Malcolm at Mesopotamia before and found him to be very good with charges and advice.

Fantastic thanks guys!

Do you think that a DIY trip during this period would be too challenging for a first time trip?

We are trying to keep the costs down on our trip (hence DIY) but the more I start the planning it appears to be climbing in costs. (More so the extra gear we need to buy and fly over with).

Any thoughts on DIY Chamois near this area?

Regards,

Lpats

In that period you certainly risk either bad weather or its after effects which with the tahr as high as they will be at that time of the year can be considerable.

If you fly in to an area with "flexibility" to adjust the location due to what the weather has done/is doing/ might do then you'll at least reduce risk and increase chances of a safe trip.

If you haven't been before I'd suggest a later hunt (Oct/November) would increase your chances and reduce the risk - see Gimps #51 video as a prime example

DIY in Crooked Spur, Stony would be easily achievable and a good option during June July. You will see plenty of Tahr around the bush fringes depending on the snow conditions. Personally, I’d walk in as its not far from the road end but the numerus river crossings will mean wet feet. Wet boots and winter hunting are not conducive to staying put and glassing for long periods of time!

If your considering using a helicopter for access, then ask Malcom if he can get you a little off the beaten track somewhere, possibly further up the valley depending on the weather/snow that way you might get onto the odd chamois as well.