Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree1353Likes

Thread: 2020 SHOT STAGS

bet it tastes just as good Shearer....
    Trout and Shearer like this.

I will lower it lower, sure it had more points than this lol. Did see a few rut pads opened up so looking good.Name:  Spiker off Waterhole Skid 270 with 145 gr ELDX.JPG
Views: 1276
Size:  3.80 MB
    Tahr, Trout, Scouser and 8 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Hah. You either know the guy and are taking the piss, or you are dripping with envy.

Me - I'm quite happy to just see his success and appreciate a very nice Sika without judgement
    Tahr I don't know the guy and I'm not taking the piss. I just really struggle to understand what some people are happy to do to get there trophy stag...just pay some money and then follow there guide up to mobs of trophy stags then take your pick on which one you want to shoot.
    Its hardly hunting in my opinion

so we have the "behind the wire/guidedd" argument again.......... now if you decided to take ALL guided hunts where currency changed hands out of equation as its "just not sporting" well some of us would say FUCK OFF or stop shooting stags in velvet and calling them trophies too......... different strokes for different folks
    where do you draw the line???? public land is ok but private block is not????
    paid guide is out but guiding your mate onto first animal is ok???what if its a young fella you dont know???what if he buys you a box of beer as a thankyou???
    when the stars align and we get our mojo in synch my big black bitch GUIDES me into animals....is that guided hunting now too???
    is that 10lb rainbow trout you flew in and were guided too any lesser fish than the one you caught on your own???
    throw under bus has been bandied about alot on this forum in last 12months...and here AGAIN we see a put down thrown where none was needed or deserved.
    the guy has shot a nice stag....good on him
    were the massive beasts shot in the beginning of last century in otago/southland lesser because folk were guided into shoot them??? no of course they werent....rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
    Tahr I don't know the guy and I'm not taking the piss. I just really struggle to understand what some people are happy to do to get there trophy stag...just pay some money and then follow there guide up to mobs of trophy stags then take your pick on which one you want to shoot.
    It's not that easy, you still hunt but generally in good areas. You pay for the access to these places and the guide makes a portion of the price you are charged. My moose hunt in Alaska cost a fair bit but there you can't hunt without a Outfitter/ guide. We hunted just the same as on self organized hunt, all free range etc. When hunting you still do all the normal stuff but you have somebody there to make sure you shoot the right animal, in other words what you are looking for. As for mobs of stags to select from i'm not sure about that, maybe behind wire but in the wild probably not. The bull moose I shot was the best we seen out of all the animals we looked over. No problem with guided hunting, each to there own.
    Trout, Micky Duck, Mathias and 3 others like this.

Ok move on don't ruin a good thread. Start a new one
    Gibo, Shearer, Boaraxa and 2 others like this.

DBD
    Good going Danny, chuffed looking hunter there! Head for the wall?

Banned
    Huntn, have you ever taken someone hunting to an area that you already know and helped them shoot an animal, or been taken hunting yourself ?? That is really all guided hunting is except the hunter and the guide don't know each other and the guide does it for a job. It just depends on how we look at these things.
    You might be a natural athlete endowed with great strength and stamina far above the average man, Should you be therefore handicapped like a racehorse because you have an unfair advantage ?? Because the dislike of guided hunting is, when it is broken down a feeling that the guide provides an unfair advantage. The advantage a guide provides is time saving and the safety of having a companion in unfamiliar country.
    If you have any of Bruce Banwells 'Great New Zealand Deer Heads' series start tearing out pages tonight of all the great heads that were taken with the help of guides. They will be skinny books by the morning
    chainsaw, Micky Duck and Mathias like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Just to lower that bar again.
    Attachment 132509
    Still a stag and you don't get them sitting on your arse. He looks a bit hollow in the guts or is that just the angle of the pic?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    With a few stags starting to be shot i thought i would kick this thread of again. Late night dealing to these last night both shot in day light but camera was back at bike
    Attachment 132350
    Attachment 132351
    Then sometimes you just get lucky on my way back to my bike this fella coming out of the bush
    Attachment 132352
    A bloody nice red!

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I will lower it lower, sure it had more points than this lol. Did see a few rut pads opened up so looking good.Attachment 132514
    Nice heart shot. I still win the lowest of the low with my Fallow buck fawn. I like winning
    Mooseman likes this.

Good on you Southcity, great stag, wicked timber, well deserved!

Understood. Its likely you hold that view because you have never done it. I expect that the challenges are the same albeit that the heads better on average. I look forward to seeing your successes in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Still a stag and you don't get them sitting on your arse. He looks a bit hollow in the guts or is that just the angle of the pic?
    He does look pretty skinny in that photo but wasn't in bad nick. Freezer is well full with pork and venison now so the hunting is going to be a bit more selective for a while. Might even take the bow for a walk to make it extra interesting.
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Since I do know Southcity and have hunted with him on several occasions I just have a couple of things I'd like to mention.
    We have hunted Clements Mill Road, Maungapohatu, Otago and the Southern Alps, no guides on any of these hunts.

Southcity invited one of his work colleagues from overseas on an Otago hunt for Red Stags this time last year. He spent 3 days of the 4 day hunt getting the visitor onto and eventually shooting a very nice stag. Due to this unselfish gesture Southcity ran out of time to search for a big stag and ended up with a much lessor specimen.

My apologies to the OP for derailing the thread.
    Tahr, nor-west, Trout and 6 others like this.