Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 22 hornet on goats?

Used to use the old mans Brno double trigger 22 hornet on bunny and deer stalking reds, the old man would only let me head shoot them. A long shot back then was 80m. We were using factory 45gr sp.

Father used one on Coronet Peak in the 50s shot I imagine hundreds he went with the Hornet as accurate and ammo didn't weigh a hell of lot.
    Used on deer as well.
    Brno as well.
    Last edited by erniec; 14-06-2019 at 02:58 PM.

I always remember an article in an old rod and rifle from late 70s early 80's about a dude with a 22 hornet.
    The cover shot was of a nice stag already shot, on the bush edge looking back out over one of the lakes near Rotorua.
    The article started how he got the rifle in Sydney at the last minute only hours before getting on the plane. Think he may've checked it as baggage (no paperwork back then). Got it home and made the stock more suitable-cut it a little and stained it before taking it out.
    Good size stag from what I recall.
    Anyone remember that?

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    I always remember an article in an old rod and rifle from late 70s early 80's about a dude with a 22 hornet.
    The cover shot was of a nice stag already shot, on the bush edge looking back out over one of the lakes near Rotorua.
    The article started how he got the rifle in Sydney at the last minute only hours before getting on the plane. Think he may've checked it as baggage (no paperwork back then). Got it home and made the stock more suitable-cut it a little and stained it before taking it out.
    Good size stag from what I recall.
    Anyone remember that?
    Na, you memory is better than mine, but if you go back another 15 years I will.

The Hornet and K Hornet are neat little calibers I have owned several over the years and still have a K Hornet. I have shot deer with the standard Hornet at about 100 yds with a neck shot and it was dead on the spot. Goats were easy with the Hornet out to about the same or a bit more. I used to shoulder shoot with the factory ammo back in the 70's and the goats always ran about 50 yards then started falling over. Body shots on big billies can be testing as they tend to soak up the lead a bit. For the animals you list they are fine and very cheap to load for , about 700 rounds from a pound of powder. I currently use the Hornady 45 gr bullet which seems to kill well and for smaller animals the 40 gr Noslar BT shoots well in my rifle.
    Surprisingly the two loads shoot to the same point of impact at 100 yards which is handy. My current 22 K Hornet is a old Walther with a shortened to 20 inch barrel has no blueing and a few pits in the chamber end of the barrel but it still shoots very well considering.
    The 45 gr load is doing 2701 fps using AR 2205 nd the 40 gr load does 2831 fps using AR 2205.

It's a real shame they won't let you use 22 hornet on DOC land anymore, they're a great wee cartridge. Used to carry one when I first started hunting with the old man, accurate and so long as shots were close and in the right spot it was good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    It's a real shame they won't let you use 22 hornet on DOC land anymore, they're a great wee cartridge. Used to carry one when I first started hunting with the old man, accurate and so long as shots were close and in the right spot it was good to go.
    True. But someone will then pipe up and hail the .22WMR as having the same qualities. And .22LR for the good shots (and let's face it, who thinks he is an average shot, or, God forbid, below average shot?)
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

shhhhh or someone will mention there is nothing in current rules preventing you from loading a .222 DOWN to below hornet levels and using it.....
    Wirehunt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    True. But someone will then pipe up and hail the .22WMR as having the same qualities. And .22LR for the good shots (and let's face it, who thinks he is an average shot, or, God forbid, below average shot?)
    Can see your point but there is a marked difference and it is centrefire. Is it the best choice no, but will do the job if you do yours. For the OPs circumstances and purpose I think it'd be fine.

Gone but not forgotten
    i normally use 260 rem for goats upwards however ill use hornet on a goat if it pops up at shots im happy with and within smart limits while out hunting small game if im soley going after goats 260 gets the nod everytime
    ive wanted a hornet since i was a young fulla taken til im 40 to get my hands on lefthand one 😎
    veitnamcam and mawzer308 like this.

Thank quad. Pm.
    Once my Grandfather gave up using his 303 for trout (late 1930's)
    He moved to a 22 Hornet which my dad and uncle shot their first deer with in the early 1950's before he got a 243. Nelson area.

P's story behind the trout was he started as a school teacher at a depression gold field work camp. I think a fair bit of class time was dedicated to ensuring the kids got a meal and warmth in winter. Did a vege garden and took older kids shooting to carry back meat, deer, trout etc.
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    Can see your point but there is a marked difference and it is centrefire. Is it the best choice no, but will do the job if you do yours. For the OPs circumstances and purpose I think it'd be fine.
    I detect a misunderstanding.

.22 hornet semis are illegal as centrefire. Only rimfires .22 and below are legal semis.

Most powerful semi available for non commercial pestcontrollers is a .17 WSM. And yes, speak to SPCA.

If shooting goats for pest control you are exempted from the charge of "deliberate animal cruelty" under the animal welfare act (even if it IS deliberate cruelty!).

If purely harvesting goats for meat and not for pestcontrol, you could be charged if using an inadequate / suboptimal round.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Gone but not forgotten
    🤔where did i say semi auto 22 hornet?

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by quadhunter260 View Post
    where did i say semi auto 22 hornet?
    No one mentioned a semi, the confusion is all his
    Wirehunt likes this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    I detect a misunderstanding.

.22 hornet semis are illegal as centrefire. Only rimfires .22 and below are legal semis.

Most powerful semi available for non commercial pestcontrollers is a .17 WSM. And yes, speak to SPCA.

If shooting goats for pest control you are exempted from the charge of "deliberate animal cruelty" under the animal welfare act (even if it IS deliberate cruelty!).

If purely harvesting goats for meat and not for pestcontrol, you could be charged if using an inadequate / suboptimal round.
    Pull up. That last line is now so easy to defend its ridiculous. Best the popo and govt are charged as they have in fact caused anim cruelty via removing best tool for job.