Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 22 hornet on goats?

@Wirehunt
    You got my point.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Gone but not forgotten
    fact govt is a bunch of cocksmokers dosent really go with what i asked anyhoo cheers for the advice and suggestions frm some 🤙😎
    Micky Duck likes this.

As for the semi hornet, I heard a story years ago from an old shooter (mind you historically some of his stories were quite how should we say, embellished).
    He was in the army and one of the armourers for his last qualification supposedly converted a 30 m1 carbine to 22 hornet.
    It was apparently quite a nifty little piece. Cannot confirm the truth but if it shot alright and used like everyone has said for closer range work it would've been quite the tool. quite a few years before the mini 14.
    Cordite likes this.

An old culler mate of mine used to use a Hornet on Tahr, so goats should be no problem....

If you can source some Norma or other European .22 Hornet ammo the bullets are tougher than American made ones they use the .22 Hornet on Roe deer,
    I used Sako factory on goats years ago killed better than any reloads with American projectiles I tried.

MSL
    Sellier and bellot is great

northdude
    works well got 7 today im only using 35v max so need to be aware of its limitations I try to get closer than 100m and pick shots carefully head shots for humane kills this is my krico just a budget set up cheap nikko stirling 4x12x44 I think airking scope cheap Remington bipod and according to some crappy lee gear for the handloads once ive run out of the v max I might step up to sierra 45hp they shot well in it as well Name:  20190629_161200.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  6.01 MB
    erniec likes this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    works well got 7 today im only using 35v max so need to be aware of its limitations I try to get closer than 100m and pick shots carefully head shots for humane kills this is my krico just a budget set up cheap nikko stirling 4x12x44 I think airking scope cheap Remington bipod and according to some crappy lee gear for the handloads once ive run out of the v max I might step up to sierra 45hp they shot well in it as well Attachment 114328
    Are you using the factory 35gr v max loads?

northdude
    hand loads fed sr primer 12.5 lil gun 35 v max havnt chronod it but I guess its zipping along maybe one of those apps can figure it out run a similar load in my h&r handi both little tack drivers

MSL
    I’ve got about seven boxes of the factory 35gr stuff, but I’m now using sellier and bellot 45gr soft point

northdude
    I found s&b the brass that I had had the primer holes off center and fukd my decapping pin in my die most factory stuff didn't go that well in mine about the best was some Hornady stuff but a lot of it wouldn't chamber in the krico but was fine in the h&r its one of my favourite rounds