Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: .222 .223 .222mag .5.56.. THE CALIBRE OF CHOICE FOR MANY HUNTERS

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    The Old Buggar. Sounds like me. I just got around to ditching my old redfield 4x Power after 44 years as my main battle scope.

I thought me eyes were getting fucked. Wiping the lenses with toilet paper all that time, bits of grit slowly damaging them and wearing the surface. It was like looking through snot.
    I have just got back from the range sighting in his 30-06.
    Put a luepold 4.5-14 power on it for him to replace the steel tube fixed 4x weaver that has had the same 20 or 30 years of cleaning with dunny paper or snot rag.
    was like looking threw a coke bottle

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    JoshC likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Put a luepold 4.5-14 power on it for him to replace the steel tube fixed 4x weaver that has had the same 20 or 30 years of cleaning with dunny paper or snot rag.

I mentioned this on here a while back. Mate used a Leupold for many year in the NZFS then his son started shooting for Doc and used it for years until one day he fell and bent the tube.

Now we all know that the Leupold lifetime warranty is pretty good but to be honest this scope was nearly through it second lifetime.

It had so much use that the alloy around the lenses on the right hand side where your arm rubbed against it had had worn quite thin plus it was bent. Leupold sent a replacement scope and a letter asking if they may keep the scope for their collection as they had no other that showed such obvious signs of hard use.

Throughout the years many scopes have come and gone among professional shooters but no company has ever been able to stand up to the quality, longevity, 'Tadpole Free', honest lifetime warranty of the Leupold Company.

I have replaced my Redfield with a Redfield only because I have had a spare one for many years
    veitnamcam, Bryan, mikee and 1 others like this.

Hard to beat their warranty alright.

Did you get some rings to suit ?
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Did you get some rings to suit ?
    Yep kiwi Greg had some:thumbup:

Yep kiwi Greg had some:thumbup:

Is there anything we DOESN'T have??

Was worried the "grinder of death" might have come out again
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Bloody good to hear someone who knows what he's on about in regards to the treble Scribe.The subject seems to surface a lot among today's up and coming hunters,can be bloody impossible to get through to many just how effective the treble is.
    Keep up the good reports from back in the day eh.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    Bloody good to hear someone who knows what he's on about in regards to the treble Scribe.The subject seems to surface a lot among today's up and coming hunters,can be bloody impossible to get through to many just how effective the treble is.
    Keep up the good reports from back in the day eh.
    Yes I hear what you say 'doinit' It seems we are doomed to have to listen to that droll, repetitive, mantra every time someone asks for advice on what calibre rifle to buy to hunt deer.

1/ You have to hit them in a certain place.. (Yeah!!!!)
    2/ It is a varmint calibre.. (You can buy a Varmint Rifle in 7.62..308)
    3/ I wouldn't pick it for a first rifle... (Why not, a thousand Deer Cullers have)
    4/ It wont kill big deer.. 'Aye'

When the Deercullers were formed and began their huge task around 1938 the deer killing field were dominated by the venerable old 303. In 1950 the .222 Remington appeared on the scene and slowly but surely became the most popular deer killing calibre by the 60's and 70's. During this period a large number of Pigs goats and wapiti/wapiti cross animals bit the dust when they collected this deadly 50 gr bullet through the engine room.

Since the end of the 70s the 222/223 has continued to dominate the field for people who make their living by the 'gun'.
    Whether they now make their living from aerial shooting now or on the ground hunting for DOC this is a calibre of choice. If you had ambition to be a professional hunter, first you would buy this relatively expensive tool that you would have to rely on entirely to provide you with sufficient tails to satisfy your Field Officer and put money in the bank. This was never an easy thing as I am sure most of the Field Officers looked upon their own shooter's a something akin to a well bred racehorse's that should always be leading the field.

First thing a young builder or young mechanic will do before he buys his tools, if he has any brains that is, is to find out what the best in the trade are using before he makes his own decision, cullers were no different

The popularity of these calibres show no sign of disappearing real soon and I will go so far as to say that there is no other calibre except the venerable old 303, that has killed as many deer, pigs and goats in NZ as the deadly .222/223. In fact I would go so far as to say none are even close. Nor will any other calibre take that crown from the trebbly's in the future as deer and pig control is increasing being devolved to those firms that specialize in the aerial spreading of toxins such as 1080 and brodifacoum.

In the desire of a few to return NZ to a time called pre Maori
    Gibo and PERRISCICABA like this.

Cheers Scribe,could not have put it better myself. Long live those wee pills and the great memories from that other planet eh

R93
    Yup! Just wish I seen the light regarding these calibres earlier than I did. Would have saved me some heartache and money☺

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Yup! Just wish I seen the light regarding these calibres earlier than I did. Would have saved me some heartache and money☺

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Too true, Too true R93. I have started a few shooters on the .222/223 track and they have never looked back. I am pleased to see a steady stream of AR 15s entering the forum. One of the reasons I started this thread is because I would like them to have confidence in the calibre as a deer rifle. Without confidence you very seldom shoot well.

If they do their job, this wonderful little bullet will do its job.
    JoshC likes this.

have you written any hunting books? I bet you could tell some good stories. the way you write makes easy reading .cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    I mentioned this on here a while back. Mate used a Leupold for many year in the NZFS then his son started shooting for Doc and used it for years until one day he fell and bent the tube.

Now we all know that the Leupold lifetime warranty is pretty good but to be honest this scope was nearly through it second lifetime.

It had so much use that the alloy around the lenses on the right hand side where your arm rubbed against it had had worn quite thin plus it was bent. Leupold sent a replacement scope and a letter asking if they may keep the scope for their collection as they had no other that showed such obvious signs of hard use.

Throughout the years many scopes have come and gone among professional shooters but no company has ever been able to stand up to the quality, longevity, 'Tadpole Free', honest lifetime warranty of the Leupold Company.

I have replaced my Redfield with a Redfield only because I have had a spare one for many years
    I was given an old Leupold m8? on my first rifle, a Parker hale 243. Scope was more or less rooted, lenses were poked, it was covered in scratches and worn out, and had a crushed tube. Sent it back to Leupold hopeful of refurbishment and they replaced it with a new scope also. Man I was stoked at the time. Pretty good service.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Sigh now I want a .223. Another thing to try get past the missus
    gadgetman, Scouser and Feral like this.

SiB
    Leupold warranty? I have a basic VX1 3-9 x40 I bought s/h on my .223. No paperwork. If this scope craps out might Leupold honour the warranty or am I out of luck without orig receipts etc? It's an oldie that's for sure.