Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: .222 .223 .222mag .5.56.. THE CALIBRE OF CHOICE FOR MANY HUNTERS

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by jefftrevor View Post
    have you written any hunting books? I bet you could tell some good stories. the way you write makes easy reading .cheers
    Hi jefftrevor, I have. If you look in the Forum Library section you will find a couple of my books. Though this is not exactly a hunting books 'Dustoff For Willie Peters' would suit a hunter. Just ask the previous reader and he will send it to you

Ordered your new book today. Looking forward to reading it.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Ordered your new book today. Looking forward to reading it.
    You have an advantage over most of my readers 'Te Rei'. In that you know much of the country in which the book is set and the hunters involved in the game at that time.

At 4pm Aorangi had cloud around it but Mangaohane and Mokai had sun on them. We had 3/4 degrees warmth coming out of the beech.It was cold .

Ploughing thru the book now. Many memories there. Great to see Ohutu Ridge again and the tiny Garry Sutton.He was a top bloke. Loved the Iron bark tent camp.Sent a message to Wayne Pratt for you.He is in Karamea and his bil was Len.Wayne had a permit to hunt on Ngamatea and nailed a few in the 500.He had one of the original Beta's either number 7 or 27 and got over 7k deer in it.I was in Taradale Park when Joe did the loop de loop. You could hear the screaming by both Joe and his passengers. Funny when he flew us into the Kaimanawas and told him about it.The Mangatera had big deer but the best way was to whistle down there from Ruahine and on the left hand side were some lovely clearings. Only place I have ever seen deer go bug eyed and wide eyed as you appeared out of the blue.The dwarf rates it at 9.5/10 because it does not mention him other than his alter ego on pg 209.Got smashed many a time walking up from Ironbark to Otukota via the river even when it was too high.A fantastic contribution to the NZ hunting history.
    Danny and PERRISCICABA like this.

Ploughing thru the book now. Many memories there. Great to see Ohutu Ridge again and the tiny Garry Sutton.He was a top bloke. Loved the Iron bark tent camp.Sent a message to Wayne Pratt for you.He is in Karamea and his bil was Len.Wayne had a permit to hunt on Ngamatea and nailed a few in the 500.He had one of the original Beta's either number 7 or 27 and got over 7k deer in it.I was in Taradale Park when Joe did the loop de loop. You could hear the screaming by both Joe and his passengers. Funny when he flew us into the Kaimanawas and told him about it.The Mangatera had big deer but the best way was to whistle down there from Ruahine and on the left hand side were some lovely clearings. Only place I have ever seen deer go bug eyed and wide eyed as you appeared out of the blue.The dwarf rates it at 9.5/10 because it does not mention him other than his alter ego on pg 209.Got smashed many a time walking up from Ironbark to Otukota via the river even when it was too high.A fantastic contribution to the NZ hunting history.
    Fuk TeRei, now ill have to read it to decipher what the fuk your on about!!!!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Fuk TeRei, now ill have to read it to decipher what the fuk your on about!!!!!!!!!
    Scouser, Te Rei is alluding to a character and places in my 'First Book' as well as the new book. I suggest you read that first as it will give you a better understanding of the history of the area.

Ask in the Library Resource section..Free Read.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Nice to see you had the same trouble coming off Ohutu Ridge. We got lost heading to the Mangatera and Iron bark. Went over the end of Ohutu and down that face. 1/2 way down we realised we were in real trouble. Took us about 7 hours to climb out of it. Came to the top and went to walk back to Ohutu Hut and got whited out on Ohutu Ridge then a blizzard hit us. Man that wind just screamed all night. Did you take that old orange railway tarp onto the clearings at the start of Wild Sheep Spur?It was tucked into the manuka just before the track took off towards Timahanga.We used to camp on the river straight down from the top beech clearings. Man there were some coons along the river.Up and down the Ikawatea we used to find many dead deer especially yearlings and hinds at the bottom of those bluff faces.The creek you mentioned along the true left from Central Te Hoe wasn't Camp Creek? Walked up their from Charlies in late January. Charlie has done an amazing job of controlling the stoats along the river and the blue ducks are starting to make a come back. Seeing Charlie on Friday and will give him your book.Most of Joe's deer traps around the Te Hoe are gone or into disrepair.Walked over Bare Acre once. Magic place as well. Great view.

Charlie Janes reading your book in the Ureweras this week end.You would have loved your old haunt today because it has a thick layer of white stuff. Should have dropped a copy into Jack. Hasn't changed one bit. There are about 21 gates from Pohokura to the road.Charlie rates Spence as a pilot.Dont know why you did not use the Murupara Moon beam because your tallies would have skyrocketed.

sturg4
    Charlie Janes reading your book in the Ureweras this week end.You would have loved your old haunt today because it has a thick layer of white stuff. Should have dropped a copy into Jack. Hasn't changed one bit. There are about 21 gates from Pohokura to the road.Charlie rates Spence as a pilot.Dont know why you did not use the Murupara Moon beam because your tallies would have skyrocketed.
    Where did you run into that poaching old bugger Charlie Janes, Te Rei. Yes the boys tell me the Ruahine's have had some good snow coverings this winter. Hope to be up there this month depend on snow now I guess, what's up there now might stick around.

I don't think Jack is ever going to change. His greeting to me was always 'What are you doing up here' Even on the Gentle Annie Road.

Ahh the Murapara Moonbeam. Well we used it up there with a good bit of success Te Rei. We would get 6/9 some nights but you were
    knackered most of the time. We found our tally's were just as good during the daylight hours and life was much more pleasant.

Mean hearing of special spots, Te hoe etc...
    I need to read.
    Dan M

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Mean hearing of special spots, Te hoe etc...
    I need to read.
    A fine river 'Danny' a bit gorgey above and below Central but still fine hunting.

Indeed....!
    Off to the upper Te Hoe in six weeks time.
    Dan M

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    A fine river 'Danny' a bit gorgey above and below Central but still fine hunting.
    Not quite accurate 'Danny' Gorgey above central Te Hoe Hut. River is just a bit difficult downstream.

Good sidle on the true right going downstream.

Its a good stroll going through the gorge. I have only been through it when the river was down a bit but it could be interesting with a bit of flow