Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: .233 factory loads for deer

.233 factory loads for deer

Hi there, have just got a new .223 1 in 12" rifle. Just wondering if anyone could recommend a factory load suitable for shooting deer with and what ranges they are comfortable with.

I am aware with this calibre shot placement is critical to ensure humane kills.

I have larger rifles aswell, however i want something for smaller deer (fallow, yearlings etc).

I have been looking at the Hornady superperformance 53gr varmint ballistic tips with the idea of taking neck shots out to 200m. Any advice would be gladly received.

Cheers,

Josh

The bullets are far too frangible for deer, IMO, even for neck shots, and you might need to resort to a heart/lung shot as follow up sometime. Then you would be up a schidt-creek. Not trying to throw a wet blanket on your deer hunting, but a 223 for deer hunting should have a 1 in 8 pitch, so you can use heavier and far better designed bullets for big game.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!
    Hunt with Class and Classics

“I have more promises than a vestal virgin, less time than a parking meter and less results than a sterile sire.”

Quote Originally Posted by luv2safari View Post
    The bullets are far too frangible for deer, IMO, even for neck shots, and you might need to resort to a heart/lung shot as follow up sometime. Then you would be up a schidt-creek. Not trying to throw a wet blanket on your deer hunting, but a 223 for deer hunting should have a 1 in 8 pitch, so you can use heavier and far better designed bullets for big game.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!
    Would a 1:9 suffice?

My Father has used Winchester 55gr varmint for many years with great succses , even tho they are frangible I am not sure they would be as frangible as hornadys 53gr vmax which may be a step too far?
    Dawg likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Would a 1:9 suffice?
    The 1-9 commonly is used for the 55gr bullets, the mainstay of the 223. You can get away using 62gr bullets, also. There are decent bullets in both weights for deer hunting. Personal choice if using a 1 in 9 would be a 62gr.
    Tommy likes this.
    Hunt with Class and Classics

“I have more promises than a vestal virgin, less time than a parking meter and less results than a sterile sire.”

It might be worth looking at some of the Norma ammo. I believe that there onyx load is suitable for deer and it is a 55 grain load.
    Danny likes this.

Red deer aren't that hard to kill with a well placed shot. Fallow even easier. You seem to understand its limitations, so go for it.

I've shot enough with Remington 55 grn factory ammo and Winchester 64 grn to know that it works. They will shoot fine through your 1:12 because they are not long bullets, but you might just want to check that the 64 grn factory actually does in your rifle. If it does, that's what I would use.

And as said above, the Norma Onyx should be a good factory loaded bonded bullet too. They are a stumpy little job so should shoot ok in your rifle's twist. I've only shot them at paper but they were accurate enough. I could give you a few to try if you PM me your address.

Hundreds of thousands of deer in NZ have been shot by the .222 and .223. You should be able to add a few more.
    Last edited by Tahr; 12-12-2015 at 07:20 PM.
    gadgetman, Rusky, Danny and 3 others like this.

You could also look at using the hornady gmx 55 grain load as a option, however it will depend on the length of the bullet what the accuracy is likely to be.

Personally I've used Barnaul 55g sp for shooting deer....neck or lung = dead dear. Close range though pick your shots n walk away if you have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Brooke says,the Hornady 55 gr GMX should shoot OK in your rifle.
    For cheaper loads the Remington 55 gr SP,Federal blue box 55 gr SP,or Winchester 64 gr Powerpoint are all pretty good performers. Winchester 55 gr SP are a bit too frangible IMO but others may disagree.

I've neck shot a fallow buck with the 53vmax, smashed vertebrae and dropped on the spot. 2 small exit wounds, whether bullet fragments or bone I don't know.

Wouldn't be my first choice of deer bullet though, 55gr soft points are generally considered a good reliable game bullet for 1:12 twist. It might stabilise 60-64gr, you'd have to try them to find out.

Plus 1 for the 64 grain winchester, the 62 grain barnaul are also very very good.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Why don't you just head and neck shoot them with your bigger guns? Is there a "hero element" about shooting deer with a 223?
    Personally, I think people who shoot at big animals with projectiles designed for exploding varmint size targets(sierra blitz, hornady vmax etc) are idiots and do nothing to curb the view of those who think hunters are blood thirsty murderers.
    I am NOT an idiot.
    Bernie and Rusky like this.

As said earlier. Remington factory 55 grain works well enough. I've never had a deer walk away from one yet, just go for neck shots or vital area and you'll be safe.
    Last edited by Rusky; 13-12-2015 at 08:03 AM.
    Dawg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Why don't you just head and neck shoot them with your bigger guns? Is there a "hero element" about shooting deer with a 223?
    Personally, I think people who shoot at big animals with projectiles designed for exploding varmint size targets(sierra blitz, hornady vmax etc) are idiots and do nothing to curb the view of those who think hunters are blood thirsty murderers.
    Umm I'm no hero n the Barnaul don't really explode plus cost $$$$ to buy another centrefire n something we don't have much of...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk