Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: .233 factory loads for deer

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Palmerston North
    Posts
    136

    .233 factory loads for deer

    Hi there, have just got a new .223 1 in 12" rifle. Just wondering if anyone could recommend a factory load suitable for shooting deer with and what ranges they are comfortable with.

    I am aware with this calibre shot placement is critical to ensure humane kills.

    I have larger rifles aswell, however i want something for smaller deer (fallow, yearlings etc).

    I have been looking at the Hornady superperformance 53gr varmint ballistic tips with the idea of taking neck shots out to 200m. Any advice would be gladly received.

    Cheers,

    Josh

  2. #2
    Member luv2safari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Northern Nevada USA
    Posts
    143
    The bullets are far too frangible for deer, IMO, even for neck shots, and you might need to resort to a heart/lung shot as follow up sometime. Then you would be up a schidt-creek. Not trying to throw a wet blanket on your deer hunting, but a 223 for deer hunting should have a 1 in 8 pitch, so you can use heavier and far better designed bullets for big game.


    That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!
    Hunt with Class and Classics

  3. #3
    Member Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    W-BOP
    Posts
    5,256
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2safari View Post
    The bullets are far too frangible for deer, IMO, even for neck shots, and you might need to resort to a heart/lung shot as follow up sometime. Then you would be up a schidt-creek. Not trying to throw a wet blanket on your deer hunting, but a 223 for deer hunting should have a 1 in 8 pitch, so you can use heavier and far better designed bullets for big game.


    That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!
    Would a 1:9 suffice?

  4. #4
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,023
    My Father has used Winchester 55gr varmint for many years with great succses , even tho they are frangible I am not sure they would be as frangible as hornadys 53gr vmax which may be a step too far?
    Dawg likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  5. #5
    Member luv2safari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Northern Nevada USA
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Would a 1:9 suffice?
    The 1-9 commonly is used for the 55gr bullets, the mainstay of the 223. You can get away using 62gr bullets, also. There are decent bullets in both weights for deer hunting. Personal choice if using a 1 in 9 would be a 62gr.
    Tommy likes this.
    Hunt with Class and Classics

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Townsville, Australia
    Posts
    41
    It might be worth looking at some of the Norma ammo. I believe that there onyx load is suitable for deer and it is a 55 grain load.
    Danny likes this.

  7. #7
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    5,881
    Red deer aren't that hard to kill with a well placed shot. Fallow even easier. You seem to understand its limitations, so go for it.

    I've shot enough with Remington 55 grn factory ammo and Winchester 64 grn to know that it works. They will shoot fine through your 1:12 because they are not long bullets, but you might just want to check that the 64 grn factory actually does in your rifle. If it does, that's what I would use.

    And as said above, the Norma Onyx should be a good factory loaded bonded bullet too. They are a stumpy little job so should shoot ok in your rifle's twist. I've only shot them at paper but they were accurate enough. I could give you a few to try if you PM me your address.

    Hundreds of thousands of deer in NZ have been shot by the .222 and .223. You should be able to add a few more.
    Last edited by Tahr; 12-12-2015 at 07:20 PM.
    gadgetman, Rusky, Danny and 3 others like this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Townsville, Australia
    Posts
    41
    You could also look at using the hornady gmx 55 grain load as a option, however it will depend on the length of the bullet what the accuracy is likely to be.

  9. #9
    Member tiroatedson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Te Awamutu Rural
    Posts
    1,442
    Personally I've used Barnaul 55g sp for shooting deer....neck or lung = dead dear. Close range though pick your shots n walk away if you have to.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Member rockland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Top of the South
    Posts
    345
    As Brooke says,the Hornady 55 gr GMX should shoot OK in your rifle.
    For cheaper loads the Remington 55 gr SP,Federal blue box 55 gr SP,or Winchester 64 gr Powerpoint are all pretty good performers. Winchester 55 gr SP are a bit too frangible IMO but others may disagree.

  11. #11
    Member GravelBen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gorrre
    Posts
    3,044
    I've neck shot a fallow buck with the 53vmax, smashed vertebrae and dropped on the spot. 2 small exit wounds, whether bullet fragments or bone I don't know.

    Wouldn't be my first choice of deer bullet though, 55gr soft points are generally considered a good reliable game bullet for 1:12 twist. It might stabilise 60-64gr, you'd have to try them to find out.

  12. #12
    Member Marty Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    3,310
    Plus 1 for the 64 grain winchester, the 62 grain barnaul are also very very good.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    3,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    Hi there, have just got a new .223 1 in 12" rifle. Just wondering if anyone could recommend a factory load suitable for shooting deer with and what ranges they are comfortable with.

    I am aware with this calibre shot placement is critical to ensure humane kills.

    I have larger rifles aswell, however i want something for smaller deer (fallow, yearlings etc).

    I have been looking at the Hornady superperformance 53gr varmint ballistic tips with the idea of taking neck shots out to 200m. Any advice would be gladly received.

    Cheers,etc)

    Josh
    Why don't you just head and neck shoot them with your bigger guns? Is there a "hero element" about shooting deer with a 223?
    Personally, I think people who shoot at big animals with projectiles designed for exploding varmint size targets(sierra blitz, hornady vmax etc) are idiots and do nothing to curb the view of those who think hunters are blood thirsty murderers.
    deer243 and Steve123 like this.

  14. #14
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    5,881
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Why don't you just head and neck shoot them with your bigger guns? Is there a "hero element" about shooting deer with a 223?
    Personally, I think people who shoot at big animals with projectiles designed for exploding varmint size targets(sierra blitz, hornady vmax etc) are idiots and do nothing to curb the view of those who think hunters are blood thirsty murderers.
    I am NOT an idiot.
    Bernie and Rusky like this.

  15. #15
    Member Rusky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    676
    As said earlier. Remington factory 55 grain works well enough. I've never had a deer walk away from one yet, just go for neck shots or vital area and you'll be safe.
    Last edited by Rusky; 13-12-2015 at 08:03 AM.
    Dawg likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Factory .30-30 Federal
    By Snowgrass in forum Projectile and Factory Ammo Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-05-2015, 06:20 PM
  2. Best factory amo for 223
    By sakokid in forum Hunting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-12-2014, 03:59 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-03-2014, 06:31 AM
  4. 270 WSM ammo - factory and hand loads
    By coa5ter in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-10-2013, 04:25 PM
  5. 2 x 223 Deer loads
    By Tahr in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 31-03-2013, 11:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!