Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: .233 factory loads for deer

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post

2 x 223 holes are still way less than 1 308 or no deer as it has sprinted or rolled down into some shit right on dark and can't find
    My father always maintained his 223 ruined much more meat than his 30-06 and he is absolutely correct because he uses a very frangible soft point at well over 3000fps in the 223 and a comparatively solid 180gr in the 30-06 at probably less than 2700fps.
    Guess which one he uses roar hunting in the bush.

It is not the caliber or chambering that bruises meat or kills animals it is the bullet construction and the impact velocity that determines the amount of "meat damage

Yes I agree with that in principle, I guess to clarify my comparison at over 150m-250m a 223 Hornady 55gr SP causes a lot less damage than a 308 150gr SST I also shoot in that range band, from what I have seen. Inside 100m probably very similar and can't tell the difference.
    Find this 223 ammo killing power which is also related to damage is much diminished at over 150m and don't mind popping a couple in to be safe. Unless you know exact distance, no wind, perfect shooting position going straight for the neck I think can be a little risky once you start shooting 150+ with this ammo.
    Just what I found works for me, know everyone is different and head-shoot everything etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Ok. So "double tap" is firing 2 shots at the same animal then.

I think that this can be my new term for the week. I will use it as much as possible. It should make me a hit with the young people.
    But it will only be hit material if you can include it in a rap and beatbox.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

150 sst could well be the most frangible "hunting" bullet in 30 cal, yes I have used it on a lot of animals no I wont use it anymore as an all purpose bullet, it has its place but it is too frangible for many situations.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Another vote for the winchester 64 grain PP, probably the pick of the bunch in factory ammo for deer

[QUOTE=Pointer;423415]Another vote for the winchester 64 grain PP, probably the pick of the bunch in factory ammo for deer[/QUOTE

Are we able to get these 64 grain pp projectiles on their own for us handloaders, Or does anyone know who makes the projectiles for Winchester.

I recall that someone in chch willem? has been quoted as a source of 64 pps probably needs confirming though.
    If you want meat damage forget the rifle just get a couple of pig dogs!
    nevereadyfreddy likes this.

Yes they sell the 64gn PP's I've got them loaded up in my 223, I've had a few deer in my sights but decided against the shot. Will update in a thread when I do.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Timmay; 18-12-2015 at 08:16 AM.
    Pointer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Yes they sell the 64gn PP's I've got them loaded up in my 223, I've had a few deer in my sights but decided against the shot. Will update in a thread when I do.
    What are the projectiles marketed under and where would one get them from
    kidmac42 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by foxhound View Post
    What are the projectiles marketed under and where would one get them from
    The answers are in the above thread. They are called Winchester Power Point (PP).

Wilhelms in ChCh sell them in bulk.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    My father always maintained his 223 ruined much more meat than his 30-06 and he is absolutely correct because he uses a very frangible soft point at well over 3000fps in the 223 and a comparatively solid 180gr in the 30-06 at probably less than 2700fps.
    Guess which one he uses roar hunting in the bush.

It is not the caliber or chambering that bruises meat or kills animals it is the bullet construction and the impact velocity that determines the amount of "meat damage"
    You're not wrong, you should have seen the damage to the two whitetail yearlings i shot with my 260 rem with a 100gr NBT doing close on 3250!!!! They didnt even think about taking another step tho.
    260hunter likes this.

If you are reloading the sierra 63gr SMPs are absolutely deadly on deer - you do loose a bit of meat to them though. Being a short squat little projectile they stabilise fine in a 1:12" twist barrel as well.
    Dawg likes this.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045