Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree317Likes

Thread: 45/70 Subsonic

Up the bunghole, no bones till the brisket, better get 2 or 3 in a line if thats your plan to test penetration. That sounds a bit rude actually.
    Micky Duck likes this.

The 577/450 they lined up 10 prisoners the first one new he was dead, but it stopped at 7.5 men down if my memory serves me correct.
    I shoot 45/70 with 500 grain projectile on63 grains of FFG BP. Packs a punch both ways, but have never chrony it. I love the calibre, easy to reload!
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

managed to get permission, bless cellphones . ..

up the exhaust pipe for the Billy from 50yds, approximately 30 inches later came out the chest . . . didnt open him up, darn right unpleasant smelly old bugger

front shot for the nanny bullet came out the side . .

Name:  20170624_152851.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  1.10 MB

Fallow neck shot at 87yds . . . why the pic is on its side i dont know . . cant seem to right it
    Name:  20170624_150312.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  1.10 MB

Attachment 71118

wound was similar on both sides . . . this maybe the entry

Name:  20170624_151133-1.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  605.1 KB

a good day off . .. i will look forward to next in 2 weeks
    Last edited by rossi.45; 24-06-2017 at 07:05 PM.
    john m, Maca49, 308 and 1 others like this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Ug!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

ah well you know it kills....what more is there to know? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    ah well you know it kills....what more is there to know? lol
    the plan is to start moving the shots out further and see how we go . . . . i only stopped at 200yds with the .30cal subs on animals because i didnt think they had enough grunt to be effective past that, accuracy was good enough on targets to well past 300yds . . . all bullets inside a target size of 6 inches i consider good enough for field shooting . . . longest shots on one occasion was 400yds
    Last edited by rossi.45; 24-06-2017 at 10:38 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

The G/Gun can use jacketed f n bullets, 300/350grs and with a m/v of 2.100fps can bugger up a lot of meat, so just shooting 420gr lead bullets at 1.300 f p s does the same job as subsonic with no mess. I don't like a small bit of pistol powder in a large case with maybe a filler, a good load of black or nitro gets the job done, but it`s all about trying to see what the gun likes. With the light weight G/Gun it can bite at both ends with larger weight bullets.

your not the only reloader @homebrew.357 that doesnt like fast pistol type powders for reduced loads . . . but it is excepted by many using cast bullets . . its that well known its often called simply " The Load " 10grns. of Unique

.10 Grs. Unique. The Universal Cast Boolit Rifle Load?

with velocity its a personal decision . . . for myself i need subsonic speed so no choice there . . with higher velocity i want a flatter trajectory so 1300fps isnt a worth while gain, 1600fps is closer to my ideal with no accuracy problems or stressing my soft lead alloy bullets . . . there will be a similar later for the .45/70

with my .30 caliber Subsonic loads i have a 50yrd zero . . . without changing my scope settings by simply changing to my higher velocity ( 1600) ammo using the same bullet the point of impact is now bang on 100yds giving me more smack down power and range before i need to consider pulling out the rangefinder etc . .. its a good simple system that works in the field so no fckups

have read heaps about Guide Guns that bite with hot loads . . . had plenty of experience chasing power using hot loads in my Rossi with its steel buttplate to appreciate how nasty it can get . . . mild loads definetly are easier.

orderd some 350grn. jacketed bullets . . . not so much for animals but i will probably try a few out on Goats, mostly to run thru the barrel and smooth up the rifling.
    one other benefit is it will give me a better idea of the Marlins accuracy potential, i then can aim for that if i choose with cast boolits . . .

R.
    Last edited by rossi.45; 30-06-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Cool thread guys, very informative and very interesting on big bore subs.

Hey mate, don't wish to derail a interesting thread, but how did you reattach the magazine tube here? I would really like to do this to my 336 but hav'nt figured out the best way. Any pics or links on how to would be much appreciated.

Sorry guys I thought that would show the pic, new to this forum stuff, that was ment for @rossi.45

Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    always got time for leveractions @homebrew.357, especially if theyre Marlins . . . good lookn rifle, especially with the straight grip

Attachment 70646

first thing i did with my 336 was get rid of the front barrel band, always disliked the idea & look of them, probably why i like the
    look of the Guide gun with its short mag . . . priddy sure there was a small improvement ( 0.5MOA) in accuracy but cant prove it.

classic @Cordite . .. cheers
    Had to use youtube but I have learnt how to do some thing new today, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by rusl View Post
    how did you reattach the magazine tube here
    Nelson Collie at Status Guns did the work . . . i told him what i wanted . . a mortise cut into the barrel, wedgy thing put in, the magtube is held with the screw that goes thru the mag end cap.

dont just screw the magtube cap directly to the barrel . . . not a good idea with the research i did.

Contacts

R.

ps . . . no worries with the thread drifting off subject a little @rusl . . i intend to keep this thread going for awhile and bring up related stuff i think will be relevant, its going to drift abit.
    Last edited by rossi.45; 01-07-2017 at 09:04 PM.

My Marlin 3030 has a micro grooved barrel, is your g/gun the same, I`m trying cast in my 3030 but not much success with a 150gr gc bullet. I think a 170gr would better, may have to ream out the mould a bit. In the light loads with the 45-70 are you using a filler or wad to keep the small powder charge by the primer. I only like to have two powders, 3031 for my .308, 3030, 45-70 and black also for the 45-70 so there's no mistakes. And it`s so much fun when I`m at the range with my Sharps and there`s all the semi autos in .223 with a big muffler on the end and I let rip with a black powder load,
    FatLabrador likes this.

homebrew Robert/shootersnz makes a flatnose 170grn that works fine in rifle like yours....did a few for my mate without issues...did appear to be close to rifling but worked just fine.