Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Access availability after recent weather events....

Access availability after recent weather events....

Good afternoon all, I've received notification that my ballot for Big Hill Station (Hawkes Bay) - allotment from 31 March to the end of the first week in April has been canned due to multiple slips on the Big Hill Access Road up to No-Mans. I'm sure others here have received the same email, access resolution is undetermined at this stage.

Safe to say I'm rather gutted - I've been looking forward to a week off hunting in an area I really enjoy and have spent a lot of time in over the years.

My question: there are a large number of access roads into the Ruahines and Kawekas that have been hit by washouts/slips/windfall..... I'm looking to utilize the time I've already taken off - where can I go? (usual pre-amble about spot-X yada-yada-yada)

Further note - DOC are largely closing down access to their facilities in the Kawekas and Ruahines until they have had a chance to conduct various tick-box assessments; I'm concerned this may take some time and am hoping to line up something to ensure I can get out rather than wait for a tick-box OK...

Before any smart bastard responds: just climb Sentry Box....or Golden Crown.... thanks for your input, that's not the purpose of this post - I may as well look elsewhere before resorting to what I could do anytime.

Caretaker
    Plan on going to Kaimanawas etc

It’s going to be some time before the roads you describe get time spent on them as There’s higher priority roads being worked on right now with every resource availiable
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Plan on going to Kaimanawas etc

It’s going to be some time before the roads you describe get time spent on them as There’s higher priority roads being worked on right now with every resource availiable
    Agreed - it's almost like another Covid lockdown; but this time the barriers to entry into the hills are physical.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    What about flying in somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    What about flying in somewhere?
    I've personally ruled that out - on the basis that I need the exercise and if the hourly rate exceeds the benefit of paying a pilot to drop us somewhere (i.e. - it may be for some people, but I'm yet to be convinced). There's possibly an element of - "it's too late to get anywhere worthwhile" - and as above - I couldn't justify the expense (I have not flown in anywhere I could walk to yet - no matter what the distance).

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    I've personally ruled that out - on the basis that I need the exercise and if the hourly rate exceeds the benefit of paying a pilot to drop us somewhere (i.e. - it may be for some people, but I'm yet to be convinced). There's possibly an element of - "it's too late to get anywhere worthwhile" - and as above - I couldn't justify the expense (I have not flown in anywhere I could walk to yet - no matter what the distance).
    I was thinking more along the lines of if road closures etc stop you walking (or driving) somewhere, you could still fly there
    Nickoli likes this.

I’ve been wondering about this myself.

According to CHBDC , every road that is used for Ruahine access is shut, but I could be wrong too. So I thought of the northern Tararuas, or maybe take the long way around and go up on Ruapehu or the Kaimanawa.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Couple of mates were flying into Kawekas to a Doc block today but that got canned last week by Doc. Cant blame them - they dont need the risk of lost bods in the bush when everything else is under pressure as well.
    @muzza

Did the operators say that DoC had formally suspended their concessions, or just told them not to fly people to various huts?

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    told them that all Doc hut bookings were currently cancelled.
    That's a bit of a laugh since you aren't actually booking the hut. The huts are still first in first served so if it's full of walk-in trampers/hunters when you get there tough luck.
    But DOC have said all facilities are closed, and that could include the helipads.

I think they close everything till they can check to see if it's safe from a heath & Safety point I'm guessing that's me take on shutting everything down but it's going be bad this roar with everyone trying to hunt the same bush with everything closed

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    The only health and safety concern I can see is that a lot of hunters will be hunting in the same area…….a situation created by DoC
    I have to agree with that.
    The open access areas will be busy.

I read that Leon Kinvig is gone and that Daphne is off its foundations but checks still had to be made.
    Last edited by Tahr; 27-02-2023 at 09:37 PM.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Department of Conservation

February 17 at 5:38 PM ·
    We're urging people to check that tracks, huts and campsites are open before attempting to visit conservation land, in the wake of Cyclone Gabrielle.
    The cyclone has left a path of devastation across the North Island, significantly impacting thousands of people. We (DOC) are a part of an all-of-government response and our focus is on supporting people and communities through the National State of Emergency response at this difficult time.
    Please do not use areas that have not been checked and declared safe, and report any damage you encounter to the local DOC office.
    Our priority at this point is the safety of the public, staff, contractors and volunteers.
    We’re also asking the public to please bear with us while we wait for the waters to recede and begin the clean-up. We need to understand the scale of the damage to tracks, huts, campsites and other facilities and make decisions on repairs.
    It will take time for us to make sure that conservation areas are safe.
    Read more here: https://bit.ly/3xslgV9
    Check here for updates to tracks, huts, campsites and other DOC facilities: https://bit.ly/3HsrqJD
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Dont go risking your lifes or others for a smelly old stag.Listen to whats been said.Theres plenty of other places to hunt around the North Island.
    Good luck in the roar.
    7mmsaum, Tahr and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I read that Leon Kinvig is gone and that Daphne is off its foundations but checks still had to be made.
    Leon Kinvig should be salvageable..... albeit - it will need to be moved (not my photo) not sure about Daphne - haven't seen any update (Mill Road and Kashmir Road are closed by slips)
    Hoping they can both be saved - it's a really nice circuit for a long weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Micky Duck likes this.