Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By MegalaDON
  • 1 Post By Highlandstalker
  • 1 Post By SmokeyJason
  • 3 Post By Sidetrack

Thread: Lower Glaisnock Block

Lower Glaisnock Block

This year we have been lucky enough to draw the Lower Glaisnock for the first period.
    I was hoping to get some insight from someone who has been there before. Keen to know access routes on to the tops and up the riverbeds. It's a treacherous part of the county and the last thing I want is to end up bluffed as I was unprepared.
    Any info will be much appreciated.
    Cheers

Throw us a PM bud....happy to help
    wkain likes this.

I have hunted the true right of the block (Lake Roxburgh - Henderson Burn). If you are hunting that side feel free to send me a message. The TL inc the Nitz is certainly the most popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wkain likes this.

You lucky man. Make the most of it.
    wkain likes this.

You’re right. It can be a bit hoary in there. I’ve hunted upwards from the Rock Bivy, great bouldery side creeks and bluffly in parts. Made the mistake of dropping onto a narrow bench and found myself stuck. It ran out ten metres on and when I backtracked, found out I couldn’t climb back up. Had to have a wee sit down for half an hour to calm my nerves before I let myself down the cliff face thirty odd metres to the creek bed below cause I sure wasn’t ever going to be found up there. It was bush clad with good rock holds so didn’t turn out too bad but it took a day or two for my sphincter to loosen up.
    Normal caution crossing the narrow creeks and up to thigh deep don’t be put off by the boiling water on the lee side of the rocks, there’s less current drag usually.

It’s a magical river and you can spend a lot of time watching the Blue Ducks from quite close up. Fiordland is one of those places that if you fight it or take your eye of the ball it will hurt you or make your life bloody miserable but once you find a rhythm it just gets under your skin, you become part of it and it always leaves a mark. Have a great hunt and don’t forget to enjoy every part of it.
    Sideshow, wkain and MCCPRO like this.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

@SmokeyJason Will do!

@Sidetrack Cheers for the reply

Where abouts is that Rock Bivy?
    Yikes that sounds hairy!
    Have heard the bird life is quite impressive down there, yeah will have to get settled into it and not try bash our way up,
    Would you know any routes from the Nitz/Newton ridge down into the Nitz creek? I have heard it a gnarly decent and not keen on getting bluffed!