Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree25Likes
  • 2 Post By charliehorse
  • 1 Post By TakaRat
  • 8 Post By Snoppernator
  • 1 Post By charliehorse
  • 10 Post By Louie
  • 3 Post By piwakawaka

Thread: Advice For Hunting the Kaimai's

Question Advice For Hunting the Kaimai's

Hey everyone, I hope you're doing well. I just have a question regarding hunting the Kaimais.

I've been out there a few times now, and unfortunately, I haven't had much luck. Despite my best efforts, all I seem to come across are old signs most of the time. I understand hunting the Kaimai's is difficult but I'm starting to wonder if I'm missing something crucial.

I've tried two different areas, and even adjusted my approach, but still no success. I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm not looking in the right places or perhaps there's a specific technique I'm unaware of.

If you have any tips or insights on hunting in the Kaimais, I would greatly appreciate it. Whether it's about tracking, scouting, or just general strategies, any guidance would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS. I feel its worth mentioning that I try to keep my noise down to a minimum and stalk so the wind is in my favour.

Where abouts are you going in? If you're happy to disclose

Hey mate. I've been going around the Wairere fall's area

day hunts or overnighters?.....there are one or two on here that hunt kaimais successfully .....not me im afraid , ive had similar results to you in there but then i dont go often enuff to know the area well

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    day hunts or overnighters?.....there are one or two on here that hunt kaimais successfully .....not me im afraid , ive had similar results to you in there but then i dont go often enuff to know the area well
    Mostly day tbh

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Get further and deeper in there. Not sure how far you're walking in but away from the popular spots is always good. Wind can be a bit tricky up there on the flat. In your face one minute then up ya the next.

Kaimais bush is an emotional rollercoaster
    Trout and TakaRat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    Get further and deeper in there. Not sure how far you're walking in but away from the popular spots is always good. Wind can be a bit tricky up there on the flat. In your face one minute then up ya the next.

Kaimais bush is an emotional rollercoaster
    Cheers mate, I went in pretty deep in the weekend but saw less sign. Gotta keep trying I guess

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
    charliehorse likes this.

wairere falls is very busy. Try mangamuka hut, there were some nice bits near there maybe 6 years ago. Been a long time since I was last there.

It is good to learn in as the kaimai's are very narrow and very popular so as long as you can get to the north south track you will be found eventually.

@TakaRat I hope this provides you with some perspective. I met a really cool guy (hunter) on the way out the other day and we got to chatting as you do. He have moved up from Taupo. Said he'd figured out Sika and was averaging one per trip and talked about how. That's pretty impressive average bush hunting in my view. The Kaimais were his new "local". He'd completed 8 trips and put up 4 deer with none shot and had a strategy of learning an area at a time.

There are plenty of entry points in, try a few and figure out which one you enjoy the most. If you don't have days where you are literally physically fighting through supplejack and questioning your life choices.. your doing it wrong. Learn areas, learn where you can hunt and where you can't. Then, slow right down.

Enjoy the process. There is no rush. There is something pretty cool about finding your own spots, wearing your boots out trying, failing, putting up deer, then eventually winning. Then, one day, you'll realise your "local" is actually right up there in your favourite spots list. The Kaimai will give you that, if you earn it.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    wairere falls is very busy. Try mangamuka hut, there were some nice bits near there maybe 6 years ago. Been a long time since I was last there.

It is good to learn in as the kaimai's are very narrow and very popular so as long as you can get to the north south track you will be found eventually.
    That area is currently very busy with trap lines and bait stations being cut all the way through it for the last couple of years. Finishes south of the hut. I'm sure there will still be deer though
    TakaRat likes this.

I bloody love hunting the Kaimais. I'm a bit far away these days, but I get in deep to setup camp, leave the boots behind and cruise around in dive booties with nothing but a small waist pack.

Well off the beaten path find a game trail and follow that around as far as you can. Taking note of bedding areas, scrapings, wallows etc. I try not to travel far off game trails otherwise you end up caught in thick shit.
    If you can setup a game camera in the sign heavy areas you'll get an idea of when/why deer are coming around.

Name:  278139641_997058364529477_414595973832678741_n.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  116.2 KBName:  287081530_759346671755714_4613653765335280958_n.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  598.3 KBName:  329999526_3518199265094349_6214672838621686461_n.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  346.5 KBName:  387622467_396496372708854_5191408768799038759_n.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  571.2 KB

Hopefully that big stag is in the same place this year...
    Cowboy, tetawa, Chur Bay and 7 others like this.

Find a spot you like and keep on going back there over and over again. You will learn where the deer live and where to avoid. It takes patience but when you start bowling a kaimai bush deer every trip or 2 you feel like the man
    charliehorse, Louie and TakaRat like this.