Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree22Likes
  • 15 Post By Wild Hunt
  • 3 Post By blip
  • 1 Post By Happy Jack
  • 2 Post By Eat Meater
  • 1 Post By IamHackmeat

Thread: Another spot to tick off the list

Another spot to tick off the list

So this trip was towards the end of spring. Having had some luck seeing animals on day trips in the general area I decided an overnighter would probably give me more chance at success. With a couple of days of fine weather forecasted I set off. The interesting thing climbing to the tops was the lack of birds / bird song. The other places I've been up the Lewis have all had birds, especially ones that come down from the trees to look for insects that have been disturbed on the track.
    After breaking out onto the tops I walked a reasonable distance from the main track and found a suitable camp spot. I had some time to fill before dark so after locating a decent spot to sit on dusk went for a walk on the opposite side of the mountain. There was a distinct lack of sign which was a little disappointing. I did find a bit of fresh sign near a creek head so kept that in mind for the following morning should I not see anything in the evening near camp.
    I headed back to camp for some dinner and then settled in as the sun went down. I felt that I was in a very likely place however after waiting until darkness set in realised nothing was going to appear.
    I got up first thing in the morning and headed to the creek where I'd seen a bit of sign but no luck there either. After having some breakfast the wind picked up so I decided to head for the car. While there were no animals seen I can at least tick another spot off the list. It was a fantastic spot and a great break away from the usual rigours of life!

Name:  IMG_8120.jpeg
Views: 579
Size:  134.2 KB Name:  IMG_8077.jpeg
Views: 576
Size:  183.8 KBName:  IMG_8084.jpeg
Size:  146.2 KBName:  IMG_8082.jpeg
Views: 587
Size:  300.7 KBName:  IMG_8132.jpeg
Size:  278.8 KB
    Tahr, Trout, 199p and 12 others like this.

Nice looking country. Sounds like what I do, check out all the spots with no animals. Good to be in the outdoors tho
    Rusa3006, Eat Meater and Wild Hunt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    Nice looking country. Sounds like what I do, check out all the spots with no animals. Good to be in the outdoors tho
    Must be a thing I do that too.
    Wild Hunt likes this.
    Happy Jack.

I'm great at finding where deer have been about a week ago. That's a nice spot. Maybe they'll be there in a couple of months.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.
    ariki and Wild Hunt like this.

go back again, give it a few weeks or a change in the weather .
    Wild Hunt likes this.

Aah yes, I know where you are. I have seen quite a few deer there (none that were polite enough to sit still long enough though!). Does seem to depend on the time of year. That particular area right above the track probably gets a bit of pressure being quite easy to access. Just a little further into that valley there are a reasonable number of birds around. I remember sitting down in the middle of the bush for a snack very close to there and I had a South Island robin, a bellbird and a fantail all within arms reach hopping around me, was quite a cool experience.