Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By kingscoatkiwi
  • 1 Post By kingscoatkiwi
  • 2 Post By 308
  • 1 Post By Eat Meater
  • 1 Post By pennyless
  • 2 Post By Hugh Shields

Thread: Advice please

Advice please

Hey guys or gals ,my 10 year old grandson was diagnosed with Xbox playstaitionitus just before Xmas, now I’ve heard this can be treated in the early onset with get your arse off the couch therapy so , in the last couple of weeks I’ve been treating his condition with walking with a rifle on a local track.
    We’ve been walking the Oahu gorge track just outside Levin, we’ve been several times now walking about an hour and a half in and then out again and we’ve seen nothing (I’m no expert bye the way) now we both enjoy getting out and enjoy each other’s company but the boy’s really keen to get his first animal, he’s keen to get a goat, soo my question is do any of you know this area and are we wasting our time or are there animals there, I’m not looking for x spot just some advice
    👍👍
    bigbear, Rn-85 and Arced like this.

HOO
    You could head up to the northern tararuas around herapai hut. A much bigger walk. Bit of a gut buster getting up there but holds a few deer and could introduce him to an overnighter in the huts. Not sure on goats though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers mate
    HOO likes this.

There's often goats in the Akatarawas if you go in Maungatuks entrance behind Valley rd PPM but you really need motorised transport to do the area justice - GWRC do access licenses online for free with a good map

Likewise twin bridges on Featherston side of Remutakas go up the pylon tracks there are mobs up there but easier on a quad or bike - shorter trip but easier riding

Hutt Valley DS do regular trips into Mukamuka valley Orongorongas in from Featherston side near Wharekauhau luxury lodge - you could try getting in touch with them
    https://www.hvnzda.org.nz/
    rugerman and kingscoatkiwi like this.

The Remutaka incline track has plenty but there's a condition in the permit that you can't shoot within 200m of the cycle trail. In reality that means you've got to go down the gullies and up the other side even when you can see them from the track.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.
    kingscoatkiwi likes this.

I haven't been there for some time , so possibly irrelevant.
    Car security used to be a problem.
    By Gorge track I assume the track that starts at the farm house. Goes past the council water intake.
    If you can get permission you can follow farmland around to the Blackwater stream. it used to be good especially further up. We usually flycamped. Goats & reds.
    Or go up gorge track to swing bridge before Ohau hut & go up that stream.
    If your adventurish ford main river & hunt otherside.
    Be aware it used to be shit bush in places & the creeks can be gorgey with waterfalls. Applies to most of Tararuas I suppose.
    Good luck.
    kingscoatkiwi likes this.

At this time of the year the Makeretu stream would be a good bet , water levels low so no worries for kids , go up in late arvo and fly camp before flats

My mistake, the stream across the farm is the Makeretu. See above.
    Creek under swingbridge is Blackwater.
    Been a while

+1 for the Makeretu. No guarantees of course.

Otaki gorge in from the forks usually hold a few but fairly serious country and a big river for a boy. Penn creek but again a rugged walk in.

Maybe Kapakapanui ? I have seen a goat there. Good walk over to the top if hes fit.

I definitely agree with @Bagherra, Kapakapanui. You will get a result and it might be red or pig or goat if you go up the hill. But if you don't want to climb, get in the river and go upstream to the grassy terrace on the true left, above where the river forks. I see goats on that terrace regularly, from miles away, when on lifestyle blocks bunny busting.

Goats actually ON the Akatarawa Road sometimes, but don't risk your licences for shot.

About 40 years ago I used to go up to the Mangahao Power Station dam behind Shannon. When its dry you could walk around the lake on the mud flats. I always went to the right, anticlockwise. There might have been a bridge over a side creek, but definitely a lovely creek came out from the right, go up the creek looking for grassy slips, or up the ridge looking for grass under the tall manuka. Two funny things happened up there, one trip I whacked a silly spiker at 20m on the flat part of the top of the ridge. It had its head down eating the grass. On another occasion I sitting on a rocky outcrop admiring the view, there was a bit of roaring going on, then a rustle just below me in the bush, then a fellas head popped out just below my right boot! Classic!

I do a lot of bunny shooting around Kapiti, up as far as Te Horo, occasionally Otaki if you and the lad wanted to come out for a bunny shoot. I've got two lads I take out aged 11 and 14, both keen as!

Quote from Lex Severeson, "You'll learn no ill from the hills!" Your on the right track with your lad.
    308 and Micky Duck like this.