Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Yesmate
  • 6 Post By Micky Duck
  • 4 Post By Barry the hunter

Thread: After advice for recent trip bush stalking.

KJL

After advice for recent trip bush stalking.

Recently went bush, and I'm still learning the bushman's ways with deer behaviour in winter.
    Found a couple little guts recently with heaps of fresh deer sign, very open under canopy. Alas no deer present on this day, but had to have been there very very recently, high traffic, with large prints spreading out on the toes, and dew claw marks as well.
    Wind was a good head wind.
    The weather was good on this day, but had been crap for some time.
    There is Pre feeding in progress for 1080 drop next month
    Pig hunters present knocking a few off that were feeding on pre feed, but would be couple hundred meters from the deer's location.
    Would the deer have moved just on this day due to the good weather? Should I go back to same place but on a shitty day to catch them in there?
    Or, will the pig hunting and pre feeding activity push them further out, and I would be wasting my time as they won't be back?
    It's a 4 hr drive for me and I'm wondering if I hit it one last time before the 1080 drop period begins, as this area will be out if action for quite a while.

Thanks
    Kj.

if the sign was fresh and conditions ie wind and your stalking ie not to noisy was on point then that area is probably just a pass through area to where they're feeding or resting.youll find heaps of spots like that in the bush-the key is find where they are resting up during the day to ambush them.
    KJL likes this.

if you dont go back before its green rain bombed...you will kick yourself
    go on give it a go...other than time and fuel you have little to loose and lots to gain.
    Moa Hunter, inozz, KJL and 3 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

spreading out on the toes, and dew claw marks as well.

that comment asks a few questions - KJL can you tell pig from deer prints - were you seeing in that area deer droppings as well as prints - just asking because pigs leave dew claw marks and deer only if steep down hill and soft muddy ground - pigs will leave dew claw marks on soft ground more easily as their dew claws are lower - but if there is other deer sign like droppings as Mickey Duck says go back -wind right -nice and slow - if you think you are to slow then slow down a bit more - one trick I learnt years ago bush stalking if you find your attention wandering then sit down for awhile and think of something else for awhile and when you find you have your stalking attention back slowly ahead again - its difficult to maintain constant stalking attention for long periods
    Micky Duck, Finnwolf, KJL and 1 others like this.