Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree38Likes
  • 2 Post By tac a1
  • 5 Post By RUMPY
  • 4 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 4 Post By Jus
  • 2 Post By WaikatoBushman
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 4 Post By WaikatoBushman
  • 2 Post By Husky1600#2
  • 3 Post By 308
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck
  • 4 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By Finnwolf

Thread: Bush stalking advice

Is spinning yarns

Bush stalking advice

Hows it lads!

After going for a mission through the natives today I came across an area where the sign was plenty so I slowed up and sure enough stumbled onto an animal (Red Spiker) but unfortunately didn't manage to seal the deal missing my shot. Now that I've found an area with sign and animals would it make sense to work that area each visit until I succeed or continue exploring the general area more in hopes of finding another area or two that hold animal sign and animals? I'd love to hear your approach on Bush Stalking and how you go go about hunting the spots you know
    Buy Once, Cry Once

I reckon you just keep hunting the general area. Not specifically that spot, but keep it in your mind to go thru there every now and then. Once you get the idea of how to approach, what the topography is and where the animals usually are, makes your hunting a lot more successful. The more pressure you put on a spot, the more likely the animals will move off.

The stalking though, once you get into an area with fresh sign, slow right down, let your eyes do the searching, not your feet. Be really wind direction conscious. Look for small detail. An ear, an eye, swish of a tail etc.

Make sure your rifle is sighted in and you are confident shooting it when you squeeze one off. No point in doing the hard yards if you cant hit the side of a barn with the bloody thing. I always check mine before I go hunting just to be 100%.

My 2 c anyway.
    Moa Hunter and WaikatoBushman like this.

I usually head back to places I know hold deer but be aware that these areas will change throughout the year as the animals follow the feed and temperature. They'll find a nice warm area to rest up during the day in winter, opposite in summer.

you are doing things right found sign seen deer - I would hunt it again slowly with the wind right and at right time of day - be good if there was some rain to freshen area up again before you go back - but remember what the area was like - high up ? north facing - what you need to do is see if you can find others areas in that general hunting area like it - there's bound to be - what feed is there - whats the attraction with the area you saw the deer - feed belt ?? work that out and ya getting there

Jus
    If you’re new to bush stalking then go back to that spot a few times. It takes a fair bit of pressure to push animals out, if you didn’t fire a shot then there’s bugger all pressure on the animals. Plan another hunt, start there and then push out into some new country that looks similar on a map. If the animals are there then why wouldn’t you hunt it? The only caveat is that if you put your scent through there a couple times a week or every weekend consecutively the animals will widen up quick smart, change their bedding areas to suit the wind, change their movement patterns, become really skittish. But how do they know you’re coming back, how do they know you’re not some random human just bumping into them on an off track meander.. I usually hit a spot consecutively to figure it out and then let it rest. A month to a month and half between hunts in a particular spot seems to have little effect on animal behaviour with regards to pressure

Is spinning yarns
    I've been lucky enough to have farm access having worked in the dairy industry, I still have my access but was introduced to "real" hunting just recently from a mate and it's sucked me in, the thrill of working for the animal in the middle of the day rather than watching a crop paddock in the evening is the reason for the transition. I plan to head out again tomorrow but after reading some of the advice, il keep that spot in mind for the near future especially considering I did let off a silenced round.
    Puffin and Moa Hunter like this.
    Buy Once, Cry Once

Slow down till your going too slow then slow down some more. Keep going back,learn where is good to walk,where deer are and keep the wind right.will see if can find earlier thread on this.bush stalk kiwi style think it's called.
    RUMPY and WaikatoBushman like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Is spinning yarns
    Found this out in my journey today, looked to sleep 4
    (If you know where this is please don't say XD)

Name:  20230715_134853.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  2.88 MB
    Buy Once, Cry Once

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Slow down till your going too slow then slow down some more. Keep going back,learn where is good to walk,where deer are and keep the wind right.will see if can find earlier thread on this.bush stalk kiwi style think it's called.
    ^ this, and when youre going slow enough, use your ears too. You can hear deer chewing, a subtle footfall, or just plain walking. Takes patience, lots of patience.
    RUMPY and WaikatoBushman like this.

If you are going as slow as Mr Duck recommends and into the wind then that will see you right

i find that if i happen across a creek or watercourse then the sound of the water masks my noise a little so that I can surprise them a bit more easily

Also with terrain I crest a rise very slowly as that is often when I sneak up on something

Also read Lentle and Saxon

Currently sitting way up in bush beside wee clearing that's given me a few deer in the past. Bugger all sign around and the predicted southerly which is good for stalking here is more westerly which sucks.but I'm not at work and day is still young.
    308, RUMPY and WaikatoBushman like this.

well the wind just wouldnt play ball today..and with cloud cover it was cold miserable day.... I pulled my socks up after posting the above,turned around and hunted opposite side of ridge,a bit of country I dont often cover.....big flattish semi open area then STEEP but although we found plenty of nice warm dry deer beds but alas nobody home....then popped back over ridge and went INTO the clearing I over look from my lookout spot and wandered through the bush back down to fenceline..then down my creek track past the kotukus swimming hole..... and out to wagon...on my feet from 07;30-13;30 minus all the wee stops and lunch break but nothing seen or heard at all..... dog n I both rather pooped but it was good for the soul all the same....Ive got a funny feeling I had similar run a couple of years back,couldnt get onto a deer for love nor money,then spring hit and they were everywhere....one of these days I will find where the huas hide over winter.
    its a head game for me.......if I keep trying I KNOW sooner or later it will happen,if it makes these newbies to the game feel any better...Ive been hunting this particular block for over 25 years so know it VERY well...and Im still coming up blank.
    308, RUMPY, Finnwolf and 1 others like this.

Another day trying is better than a day at home thinking about being on the hill.
    As you say, where do they go? Last hunt I had in my local spot I found plenty of sign but didn't see or hear anything.
    Micky Duck and WaikatoBushman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    well the wind just wouldnt play ball today..and with cloud cover it was cold miserable day.... I pulled my socks up after posting the above,turned around and hunted opposite side of ridge,a bit of country I dont often cover.....big flattish semi open area then STEEP but although we found plenty of nice warm dry deer beds but alas nobody home....then popped back over ridge and went INTO the clearing I over look from my lookout spot and wandered through the bush back down to fenceline..then down my creek track past the kotukus swimming hole..... and out to wagon...on my feet from 07;30-13;30 minus all the wee stops and lunch break but nothing seen or heard at all..... dog n I both rather pooped but it was good for the soul all the same....Ive got a funny feeling I had similar run a couple of years back,couldnt get onto a deer for love nor money,then spring hit and they were everywhere....one of these days I will find where the huas hide over winter.
    its a head game for me.......if I keep trying I KNOW sooner or later it will happen,if it makes these newbies to the game feel any better...Ive been hunting this particular block for over 25 years so know it VERY well...and Im still coming up blank.
    Persevere MD, persevere and it’ll happen, we all have dry spells then when you least expect it? Whammo! You get one - (or even two)
    Micky Duck likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’