Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ohutu/Horomanga parking

Ohutu/Horomanga parking

Has anyone been for a walk in either of these spots. Hows the parking? Are there any local cockys that'll let you park at there farm or anything? Happy to PM if anyone doesn't wan to mention things on public forum.
    Also, Is the track to Hikarangi open? Looks pretty awful bush in there(not that the place is great anywhere).

Horomanga car park is all good, track starts at the end of the road
    You will need to check the river levels
    Parked there a heap of times with no trouble, having said that there’s been a few stories about cars getting broken into
    There’s a cocky on the way in who used to let guys park on his place.
    The Ohutu is usually accessed though a farm so parking is safe as
    The cocky has put a hut in which you can hire
    His names Charlie , I will try dig up his details ,
    The whole area has been getting a bit of pressure with the roar, having said that there’s stil a shit load of deer kicking round,
    Shearer, Nick-D and Russian 22. like this.

Hammer, so the locals don't dog the ureweras anymore?

Don’t know if I would leave car overnight at horomanga still. Leave at farm house with some beers.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the feedback. Mick that'd be great if I could grab those details.

Like any roadend car park just look for the brocken car glass lying on the ground....perhaps a warning signal.
    Years ago our vehilce was "attacked" at that car park.

Super busy at the moment. Would say the ohutu biv will be booked out well into August and horomanga will be getting tonnes of pressure. Just an FYI
    tetawa likes this.

Thanks guys. As it turned out I hadn't realised it was no dog and I wanted to take my indicator. Hence I flagged it and will do something else I think.

I also didn't know it was a no dog zone, where did you read that cowboy? I haven't hunted there but have fished it a lot and often see people with dogs there. My last trip before the season closed I talked to another fisherman who was going upstream with his lab in tow. Have ventured upstream into the bush for a couple of kms on several occasions and see a lot of dog sign in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Peeaye View Post
    I also didn't know it was a no dog zone, where did you read that cowboy? I haven't hunted there but have fished it a lot and often see people with dogs there. My last trip before the season closed I talked to another fisherman who was going upstream with his lab in tow. Have ventured upstream into the bush for a couple of kms on several occasions and see a lot of dog sign in there.
    Te Urewera is genuine pig dogs only, during winter season. Why they don’t allow deer indicating dogs is beyond me.
    They’re not that many pigs, but plenty of deer in there.
    They sight your dog before issuing a dog permit so if you’re indicating dog looks like a pig dog you may get it past them, but viszlas etc would be an instant no.

Waioeka or Whirinaki you can take any dog you like as long as it’s kiwi trained, so it’s easier to just go there instead.

You can take deer dogs just need kiwi aversion and a dog permit.

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
    You can take deer dogs just need kiwi aversion and a dog permit.
    The Hunting Permit begs to differ

"Te Kura Whenua, 6249 Lake Road, SH38, Te Urewera. Phone (06) 837 3987

THESE ARE THE KAWA YOU WILL SEE ON YOUR PERMIT:

1. Only genuine pigdogs are permitted. Deer indicating or other hunting dogs are not permitted"

AND

"NĀ KAWA Ō TE UREWERA
    This section sets out the kawa that are to be followed in Te Urewera

This permit only allows ground based non-commercial hunting of introduced wild animals (deer, pigs, goats) within the timeframe specified as the "valid period" and in accordance with these kawa.

This permit does not allow the taking of dogs into Te Urewera"

AND

"The pig dog season for Te Urewera is from 1 May to the Friday before Labour Weekend. The rules you will see on your pig dog permit are provided below to enable you to be informed and prepared for when you apply for your permit.

Each dog will need to be presented for the issuing officer to read the brand or tattoo - Pig dog permits must be applied for in person at the following offices (Bookings are essential - Please call us first)"
    Last edited by NIMROD; 14-07-2023 at 11:03 PM.

Haha well bugger me things have changed my deer dog had a permit.
    he has a pig dog then doesn't he haha

Yeah wouldn’t be to difficult to pass a heading dog off as a pig dog, but most other breeds they’re onto.
    Also, deer dogs have a different way of moving compared to the average pig dog, far more obedient.
    And most pig hunters you can pick by their truck, compared to the average deerstalker with his dog in a cage in the back of his clean ford ranger.
    PadLo and blip like this.

There is a local who dropped us off to the horomunga car park for a box of beers and kept my mates ute safe for the weekend. Could give you his deets if you're keen.

Charles is pretty good too.