Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree28Likes
  • 18 Post By Happy Jack
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Happy Jack
  • 5 Post By MB
  • 3 Post By Makros

Thread: An afternoon in the bush.

An afternoon in the bush.

Had a spare afternoon today, the benefit of not working Monday to Thursday each week and with the current round of renovations done for this year.

Although it was forecast to be breezy today I headed up a local peak I often see when out and about but have never been to.

Had lunch at home and set of for an exploration day, took the .308 takedown in my pack. Eventually found the right place to park and set off upwards taking it slow as not feeling very fit at the moment. eventually broke out of the trees and it was howling, sat down and had a good glass but nothing seen and no sign really on the way up either.

Walked back to the car, it was still early so set off for spot number 2, parked up and clambered around the side of the river until I needed to climb up for a bluff and wonder of wonders a possumers track. Unmarked but definitely a track with a few skinned possums around, followed the track until reaching a side creek that leads into the block. The track turns up this side creek barely 100 yards in I spy a white and black Billy but no shot is presented as it wanders off unconcerned. I carry on and soon come to a crossing to a grassy clearing not much more than 10sqM, just about to cross and a grey Billy walks out, hastily cock the rifle and boom Billy down. A .308 is a bit more rifle than I needed on this occasion at 30m so next time I might take the 22-250 instead.

No pictures taken as it was on last light so hurried out to the car finding the possumers track goes all the way back to my car so new I know what the pink sock hanging in a tree was doing there.

Home just after 8pm and the last hunt around here for now as next week we hit the road for a month touring the South Island in the caravan, no real plans but will have a rifle with me so hoping to do some hunting and maybe catch up with a few members on the way too.
    Trout, Shearer, Dublin and 15 others like this.
    Happy Jack.

you know its dead easy to make some quietish,gentler loads for the .308 for just that type of deal aye???
    30/30 or below just too easy to do.... not suggesting full subsonic,just mild and quieter than full noise jobbies.
    good on you for getting out.
    Oldbloke likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

MB
    Billy goat curry? Bumblefoot thinks they're OK. I tend not to shoot them, so haven't had the pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Billy goat curry? Bumblefoot thinks they're OK. I tend not to shoot them, so haven't had the pleasure.
    I will only take home nannies not stinky old billies, didn't see any nannies around though.
    dannyb likes this.
    Happy Jack.

MB
    I shoot the babies! My wife hates me saying that, but she doesn't mind eating them

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I shoot the babies! My wife hates me saying that, but she doesn't mind eating them
    Must be like my partner.
    Every time she goes out she brings a goat back smaller than the cat. They sure are tender but she has earned a reputation as a baby killer...

Around here we don't eat the 1 year+ billies, I might grab the odd back leg off one that doesn't have a noticeable odour for the dog. But we do shoot them as there is no shortage of goats and we try to shoot as many as possible.
    MB, dannyb and Happy Jack like this.