Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 1 Post By outdoorlad
  • 1 Post By STC

Thread: Ammo for a Tikka t3x superlite .270

Ammo for a Tikka t3x superlite .270

I have just bought a Tikka t3x superlite chambered in .270 Winchester and would love to read peoples recommendations on factory ammunition for this specific caliber and rifle. It would be ideal to save the time and money spent trying to figure this out myself. I do a lot of bush stalking but would also like to be able to pack a punch on a red deer out to 400-500 yards.
    Cheers

Banned
    Federal Blue box 130 shoots very well in a mates T3 for general hunting and Sako Game head 140 for longer range. On the target range both shoot well
    Bushman Sam likes this.

Hornady 145gn ELD-X
    dannyb likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

My tika .270 was loving the sako gamehead 140grn - most consistent round I'd ever shot. Unfortunately can't get them atm, I was desperate to keep the ballsitics I'd built up with the factory ammo that I took up reloading and am getting even better results with the handloads.

My tika was also liking the hornady superformance 130grn but I found them a bit "hot" and the subsequent meat damage high - every rifle is different but if I was was I would look around the 140-150grn projectile weights as my rifle seems to like them more.
    Was BINGO the name of the farmer or the dog?

Ask 10 people you'll get 20 answers.
    Unfortunately the only way to know is to check in your rifle, as even the one that rolls off the production line right next to yours might like a different flavour.
    So buy a box of each and hit the 200Y range with a chrony... with the price of ammo nowdays I'm sure it would be easy to find someone to take half a box off your hands.

That said, aren't all sako brands (incl tikka) guaranteed to shoot MOA with sako ammo?

my go to factory load is the 140gr American whitetail, absolutely devastating on deer

STC
    If available I would always recommend Sako ammo for a Tikka as a starting point. Might pay to look around online if not available locally.

Common reasoning is that thats the ammo they guarantee sub-moa with. I also believe its very good ammo with good brass...

My 308 shoots 0.3" at 100m with the gameheads (when I am having a good day, otherwise 1"). Tested speeds with labradar, very consistent!
    Moa Hunter likes this.