Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By davetapson
  • 2 Post By will.i.em
  • 1 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 1 Post By Bush Basher

Thread: Armed walk-about...

Armed walk-about...

I've been working flat out on the project from hell since the beginning of the year, which, since Jan 5 or whenever we started work again, has been 'almost finished' as in 95% done, 45% to go. Maybe.

I'm tired and jaded. Jaded means pissed-off.

I need an armed wander to get away from the f@k-wit-ery and recover a sense of humour.

I'm thinking for the best part of a week, somewhere mid-north Island.

Thinking walk to hut. Hunt around hut that evening, sleep, hunt around hut next day, sleep, repeat at next site. So maybe three huts/camps over that time?

Does anything spring to mind? Circular would be best, but all things considered.

And if it has trout fishing, that wouldn't be a negative.
    trooper90 and MB like this.

This comes to mind: https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...de-hut-tracks/

I haven't done it myself. I have only dreamed of doing it .

It's a loop, it's multi day, middle of the north island and includes trout fishing.
    trooper90 and davetapson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by davetapson View Post
    I've been working flat out on the project from hell since the beginning of the year, which, since Jan 5 or whenever we started work again, has been 'almost finished' as in 95% done, 45% to go. Maybe.

I'm tired and jaded. Jaded means pissed-off.

I need an armed wander to get away from the f@k-wit-ery and recover a sense of humour.

I'm thinking for the best part of a week, somewhere mid-north Island.

Thinking walk to hut. Hunt around hut that evening, sleep, hunt around hut next day, sleep, repeat at next site. So maybe three huts/camps over that time?

Does anything spring to mind? Circular would be best, but all things considered.

And if it has trout fishing, that wouldn't be a negative.
    Hard not to go past upper Waioeka - travel to road end Koranga valley-first day big climb over the burn into Tawa hut - but then river travel to Forks hut - one narly bit below the Tataweka junction but okay -forks hut out to road end and vehicle -great trout fishing all the way - huts still there as it is not part of Te Urewera -hunting should be good - one of the great trips - can be done in reverse of course - long slow pull from Tawa up to the burn in reverse but lighter pack of course - its just easier doing it going down stream as there are multiple river crossings - just be carefull of weather - if it rains and river comes up its a hell of a walk out via ridges and you better have a map compass and GPS to do that
    davetapson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    Hard not to go past upper Waioeka - travel to road end Koranga valley-first day big climb over the burn into Tawa hut - but then river travel to Forks hut - one narly bit below the Tataweka junction but okay -forks hut out to road end and vehicle -great trout fishing all the way - huts still there as it is not part of Te Urewera -hunting should be good - one of the great trips - can be done in reverse of course - long slow pull from Tawa up to the burn in reverse but lighter pack of course - its just easier doing it going down stream as there are multiple river crossings - just be carefull of weather - if it rains and river comes up its a hell of a walk out via ridges and you better have a map compass and GPS to do that
    Dang, this sounds spot on.

Thanks bud.

Quote Originally Posted by will.i.em View Post
    This comes to mind: https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...de-hut-tracks/

I haven't done it myself. I have only dreamed of doing it .

It's a loop, it's multi day, middle of the north island and includes trout fishing.
    Hmmm. I had thought about this one from the one time I did go to the end of Clements...

There’s a few options for that in the Whirinaki. Plenty of deer and bugger all hunters this time of the year. I was at the upper Whirinaki hut July last year, got up for a piss in the middle of the night and there were 3 deer on the hut clearing, 30 yards from the hut
    I got the impression that it got very little hunting pressure in there.
    davetapson likes this.