Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Another minter and more action

I'm envious, but you are a sucker for work, 3 deer to break down is not a 2 minute job.
    Just reminds me that living in Northland sucks for deer shooting.
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    I was sitting in a chill southerly late this arvo, waiting for a deer to come out, and I was thinking about this.

My requirements are as follows:

Twist - must be able to comfortably stabilise a heavy for calibre, high BC projectile. Miller stability factor of 2.0 minimum.
    Bullet weight - aiming for 200gr +\- 10% or thereabouts
    MV - sensible, but not middling. Around 2,900fps would be good.
    Rifle weight - I am not going to try and build a light weight young man’s carry rifle. I’m too old for that. It will be pretty heavy. That’s what quads are for.
    Stock - it absolutely must fit perfectly. Got to be adjustable for all situations. Shooting uphill, or downhill. I can handle a lot of recoil and shoot accurately at long-range as long as the stock is a rocksolid fit.

The 7mm 180gr ELD-M looks like a good option. So does the .30 cal 225gr ELD-M. There are several .30 calibre options in between that would all do the job.

Whilst I was daydreaming about all of the above the deer came out and I almost didn’t notice.

Yum yum.

Attachment 226425
    They have got lovely soft winter coats at the moment, eh. The lads are over the roar and putting on some condition. Lovely time of the year when the WX is good.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi