Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By Sidetrack
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 3 Post By Sidetrack
  • 3 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 2 Post By Sidetrack

Thread: Assessment of Fallow buck

Assessment of Fallow buck

Commenced my study of the local fallow herd, that was established here about 5 years ago, by putting up my first camera in an area they’ve been seen on a reasonably regular basis. This one wandered through a day later and at 1.08pm.
    Have zip experience hunting fallow so would appreciate some feedback on this particular head. The photo’s not the best but a quick and dirty assessment will be fine. Have put up another camera yesterday and will check them both tomorrow. Weather has cleared for a bit so hopefully they’ll start moving about a bit more.

Thank you. Cheers, Sidetrack

Name:  20230512_164311_Original.jpeg
Views: 512
Size:  514.1 KB
    Trout, kidmac42 and Micky Duck like this.
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

Better than average. Good bey tines and guards. Right palm a little weak. No bad splitting which is a sign of good blood lines. Hard to tell from a pic but maybe Douglas score around 170?? NZDA trophy book entry is 200 DS.
    Trout and Micky Duck like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Sidetrack View Post
    Commenced my study of the local fallow herd, that was established here about 5 years ago, by putting up my first camera in an area they’ve been seen on a reasonably regular basis. This one wandered through a day later and at 1.08pm.
    Have zip experience hunting fallow so would appreciate some feedback on this particular head. The photo’s not the best but a quick and dirty assessment will be fine. Have put up another camera yesterday and will check them both tomorrow. Weather has cleared for a bit so hopefully they’ll start moving about a bit more.

Thank you. Cheers, Sidetrack

Attachment 223786
    aot

a lot of hunters would be happy to shoot that but in terms of a fallow trophy its small - but for some one it maybe their trophy - but its small and sorry not really in real trophy class - the hunt for it now that can be priceless

potential....yeah may get better given a bit more time... better than a LOT out there but not quite the 'moose' every fallow hunter dreams off.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Thanks, confirmed my suspicions. Have two other rough blocks to monitor over the next year which should give me a rough idea of what the resident population’s potential is. Am taking a management view and will cull out anything as the opportunity arises. A very promising buck was shot last year by another, probably around 3-4 years old. Was a bit miffed that it wasn’t left to grow into it’s full potential but what can you do. It’s not my land and if there’s one, there will be others.
    Looking forward to the whole exercise and will post any interesting photos as the year progresses.
    Micky Duck, ROKTOY and Andygr like this.

Pretty grunty looking Bez tines, wonder what his brows look like? Has guards which is a good start, some fallow especially in the southern herds just won't ever have them. I'd say he's got all the hallmarks of a good animal just needs age to fill out the palms
    Tahr, Trout and stuart like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Yeah Like the others, I suspect hes young. But can be a bit deceptive at this time of year as they will have lost alot of body mass. Given the age of the heard i think leaving him a few more years is not a bad option.

Will be interesting to see what comes up on the cameras over the next week. Went for a wander in the mist and rain yesterday and sorted a good glassing spot a few hundred yards away with good cover, overlooking most of this area so will park up when I’ve sorted a free day. Will be good to get actual eyes on and educate myself on how to assess Fallow in general.
    Micky Duck and CATLINS HUNTER like this.

Same as any breed of deer. As soon as it’s a good one you will just know and there will be no second guessing. There will be no doubt in your mind. Trophy’s are in the eye of the beholder

Let home grow some more if you can , still a fairly young animal I reckon