Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: Beginner Hunter - need advice

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    I flew into nz early in Dec and my pack with no food was 15 kg. I think my pack is way too heavy, it's a stones ck, 60lt +10. I'm thinking of downsizing to a ali foil sleeping bag and a 40 Lt pack, will try that if I come over this summer.
    I too am an adult onset hunter and not a born and bred kiwi so thirty years behind everybody else as well. Started with a kifaru pack thinking it was a great idea... Weighed nearly 3kg empty and probably almost 4kg if it was wet... Biffed that for an osprey mutant 52. 1.5ish kg

A hut (in summer) means you practically don't need sleeping gear at all, nor a tent etc. A summer sleeping bag (or quilt if that's how you roll) should be half a Kg or less. Winter obviously different story.

Jetboils and the like are a joke. Bulky, heavy. I'll concede the windburners work well, but they're still heavy for the job. MSR pocket rocket solo set is a good budget cooker that takes up bugger all space and is light enough, a BRS titanium stove and 600ml titanium cup off aliexpress is even lighter and cheaper but I hear they are prone to melting the pot supports eventually.

I don't bother with water at all in a haast roar block, guaranteed it's either all around you or about to fall out of the sky... In the top of the south I carry a litre if I can't hear running water and only 3 or 4 if I'm climbing up and know I'm heading further from a known source rather than closer to another.

Picking the right layers and amount of extras is a learning curve you can only do through hard experience, but a great tip I've learnt is if your sleeping bag is rated warmer than you need it to be just go to sleep fully clothed and wet, you'll be dry in the morning. Packing spare dry layers to sleep in is a waste of time and weight, you'll end up putting wet stuff back on in the morning anyway. Wear merino, get wet and sleep in it, socks and all. I'll bet a box of ammo you'll be toasty dry come time to lace up the boots and slam back a coffee! I only carry extra layers now for adding to what I'm already wearing to keep warm, not to change into and out of. Spare socks and jocks for missions longer than 3 days (turn jocks inside out after second day) If you're really in the pissing rain for days on end, everything gets damp anyway and you're not drying anything.

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk
    Happy Jack, RV1 and Steelo like this.
    "O Great Guru what projectile should I use in my .308?" To which the guru replied, "It doesn't matter."
    -Grandpamac

Quote Originally Posted by Jt89 View Post
    I too am an adult onset hunter and not a born and bred kiwi so thirty years behind everybody else as well. Started with a kifaru pack thinking it was a great idea... Weighed nearly 3kg empty and probably almost 4kg if it was wet... Biffed that for an osprey mutant 52. 1.5ish kg

A hut (in summer) means you practically don't need sleeping gear at all, nor a tent etc. A summer sleeping bag (or quilt if that's how you roll) should be half a Kg or less. Winter obviously different story.

Jetboils and the like are a joke. Bulky, heavy. I'll concede the windburners work well, but they're still heavy for the job. MSR pocket rocket solo set is a good budget cooker that takes up bugger all space and is light enough, a BRS titanium stove and 600ml titanium cup off aliexpress is even lighter and cheaper but I hear they are prone to melting the pot supports eventually.

I don't bother with water at all in a haast roar block, guaranteed it's either all around you or about to fall out of the sky... In the top of the south I carry a litre if I can't hear running water and only 3 or 4 if I'm climbing up and know I'm heading further from a known source rather than closer to another.

Picking the right layers and amount of extras is a learning curve you can only do through hard experience, but a great tip I've learnt is if your sleeping bag is rated warmer than you need it to be just go to sleep fully clothed and wet, you'll be dry in the morning. Packing spare dry layers to sleep in is a waste of time and weight, you'll end up putting wet stuff back on in the morning anyway. Wear merino, get wet and sleep in it, socks and all. I'll bet a box of ammo you'll be toasty dry come time to lace up the boots and slam back a coffee! I only carry extra layers now for adding to what I'm already wearing to keep warm, not to change into and out of. Spare socks and jocks for missions longer than 3 days (turn jocks inside out after second day) If you're really in the pissing rain for days on end, everything gets damp anyway and you're not drying anything.

if you are doing it that way, A small bar of soap and a regular wash is a good idea. It saves your sleeping bag and sweat rash or jock itch can be no laughing matter when you are two days hike from the road end.

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    if you are doing it that way, A small bar of soap and a regular wash is a good idea. It saves your sleeping bag and sweat rash or jock itch can be no laughing matter when you are two days hike from the road end.
    yes the old rash 2-5 day trips I carry a small tube of an anti fungal - usually Fucidin and in a plastic bag some wet wipes - be prepared - culling and crossing rivers all day I think we became immune to rash but later on one river trip yup damn sore nether regions from numerous crossings - some fucidin and gone
    whanahuia likes this.

I do roll a similar way to jt89 but Iv never need to sleep in wet clothes for my hunting clothes I use to mkm light Woolen tshirt & all so have a long sleeve micro fleece shirt & swap the 3 layers for to whatever I'm doing but what I have found most the time when walking I only wear 1 off the 3 as I get to warm & when I stop hunting I take the wet ( through sweat or rain ) one off next the skin put the other 2 dry ones on then the wet one on last & your body heat seems to dry it fast & you feel nice & dry & warm because you haven't got a wet cold clothing against your body. I put puff & rain coat on over top if it cold the wet layer still dryers just takes longer. Someone else told me that they would put all there wet clothing in the bottom of there sleeping bag & dry it like that over night & they use to tent hunt for 3 weeks down south over the roar every year so not alot room for much spear clothing they would say if they didn't do that they be wet for the whole time just had to give sleeping bag a big clean when they got home
    Jt89 and whanahuia like this.

3B action cream is very good but good old vasoline still works.... if know will get wet and/or extra sweaty during the day ,it can make a huge difference to comfort level at end of it...and yes walking homeward like bowlegged bargirl to try and ease the pain of rash,isnt a lot of fun at all.
    Barry the hunter likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    3B action cream is very good but good old vasoline still works.... if know will get wet and/or extra sweaty during the day ,it can make a huge difference to comfort level at end of it...and yes walking homeward like bowlegged bargirl to try and ease the pain of rash,isnt a lot of fun at all.
    yes that 3B action cream is good stuff use it in tractor in hay season get rash around guts from sitting in seat getting tossed around and dust everywhere damn good
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    Yes should have said a small bar of soap and a swim in the creek is also part of that. A cold plunge in a mountain stream is bloody invigorating and good for you, handy time to scrub the 3 day old grundies clean.
    Merino boxers from macpac, never had jock itch once.

I also figure if you're sleeping head to toe in merino it's bugger all different to using a sleeping bag liner. One less thing to carry.

whanahuia likes this.
    "O Great Guru what projectile should I use in my .308?" To which the guru replied, "It doesn't matter."
    -Grandpamac

Yes should have said a small bar of soap and a swim in the creek is also part of that. A cold plunge in a mountain stream is bloody invigorating and good for you, handy time to scrub the 3 day old grundies clean.
    Merino boxers from macpac, never had jock itch once.

I also figure if you're sleeping head to toe in merino it's bugger all different to using a sleeping bag liner. One less thing to carry.

Yes the old plunge in the mountain stream trick. In 69 I was undertaking a lesson on swingbridge maintainance, late sept and hot as he'll, this was in the Waitaha, so asked the boss if we could go and have a swim to cool off, no problem boys, go for it. Jeepers I recon I only hit the top of the water and rebounded like lightning, that glacier fed river sure was freezing.
    Micky Duck likes this.

but I would love to see you stash meat from a deer in cool shade in your merino jocks LOL.....many a time my sleeping bag liner has saved me from plurry blowflies......not much use to sleep in until washed all the same.
    Jt89 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Back-to-front will double that again
    Jt89 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    Yes the old plunge in the mountain stream trick. In 69 I was undertaking a lesson on swingbridge maintainance, late sept and hot as he'll, this was in the Waitaha, so asked the boss if we could go and have a swim to cool off, no problem boys, go for it. Jeepers I recon I only hit the top of the water and rebounded like lightning, that glacier fed river sure was freezing.
    Some times the only option is some warm water in the billy and a dance around the hut lawn dodging sandflies.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    but I would love to see you stash meat from a deer in cool shade in your merino jocks LOL.....many a time my sleeping bag liner has saved me from plurry blowflies......not much use to sleep in until washed all the same.
    Bloody good life hack there! My meat bags are the Kmart body-pillowcases. Long enough to hang a goat in, 4 bucks. Might even fit a wee fallow but I've never been lucky enough to try that one. Probably could use one as a sleeping bag liner now that I think of it...
    RV1 and IamHackmeat like this.
    -Grandpamac

Bloody good life hack there! My meat bags are the Kmart body-pillowcases. Long enough to hang a goat in, 4 bucks. Might even fit a wee fallow but I've never been lucky enough to try that one. Probably could use one as a sleeping bag liner now that I think of it...
    This maybe a dumb question, but why cloth bags like pillow slips. Is this to hang it in a tree while you keep hunting or do you put it in a bag after that to pack it out? I use a garbage bag in a drybag.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Rn-85 View Post
    This maybe a dumb question, but why cloth bags like pillow slips. Is this to hang it in a tree while you keep hunting or do you put it in a bag after that to pack it out? I use a garbage bag in a drybag.
    Bit of both for me. I think breathable material is important to let any remaining heat dissipate, helping with drying the meat and to prevent growth of unfavourable microorganisms. I have some personal ideas as to why this might be the case, but not sure if it's proven scientifically, so won't bore you. I would never put meat in to plastic unless it was on ice. Those that know are storing fish open to air in a fridge rather sealing in plastic containers as was once the case. Fish is less forgiving than meat, but same principle.
    IamHackmeat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Bit of both for me. I think breathable material is important to let any remaining heat dissipate, helping with drying the meat and to prevent growth of unfavourable microorganisms. I have some personal ideas as to why this might be the case, but not sure if it's proven scientifically, so won't bore you. I would never put meat in to plastic unless it was on ice. Those that know are storing fish open to air in a fridge rather sealing in plastic containers as was once the case. Fish is less forgiving than meat, but same principle.
    So do you double bag it? Cotton then plastic, if you are tramping it out? Otherwise won't you cover all your gear in blood?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk