Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By Wild Hunt

Thread: Belated Introduction

Belated Introduction

So I've been a member on here for a while and from time to time have delved into the various sections dreaming of trophy animals and seeing some stunning places people get to.
    I used to be a regular contributor on the 'FishnHunt' forum mainly in the fly fishing section. I used to be obsessed with it. If I wasn't out fishing I'd be tying flies or reading about fishing. I achieved most of what I set out to do, well apart from nailing a wild brown trophy. I got to 9lb which I was pretty happy with. I also thrashed the canals for a few years. While I still enjoy getting out the passion dwindled to a degree.

Having been raised on a farm I've always been into hunting. Initially small game however have enjoyed larger game hunting, mainly on private land. I've managed a few animals but nothing worthy of the wall ( or even woodshed for that matter! ) A few years ago my brother started working on a farm with a few pigs about. I was given the invite and managed a reasonable boar on my first trip. This ignited a flame similar to the one I used to have with fly fishing.

For the moment I'll leave you with a collection of some of the pigs I was able to get. The first one I got was the most memorable. I'd been out in the hills for a good few hours and it started to sleet. Deciding I couldn't be bothered getting a wet arse I decided to head for the truck. On the way the sleet stopped and the sun started to shine. I had to take a third look when I spotted something dark coming up a ridge below me. I managed to find a decent rest just as it disappeared into the scrub. I waited for about 5 mins thinking I'd lost the chance at a shot when it reappeared. It was approx 150m away and I had a decent rest so thinking I'd try to save as much meat as possible aimed for its head. I let the shot off and missed. I couldn't see where the shot went so with my next shot figured "Some meat's better than no meat" so aimed at its shoulder. This shot smacked it hard and it rolled down the hill. The first thing I did when I located it was see where I'd hit it. I couldn't believe it, it hit it in the head. Before my next trip I sighted in my rifle and was surprised to find it was out by quite a bit. To be fair my rifle had been on lots of trips without firing a shot so the scope could have been knocked.

** I've only added 1 pic for the time being, I've had a bugger of a job resizing and uploading.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    HUNTY, Micky Duck, BSA270 and 5 others like this.

HOO
    Nice pig! Awesome you have so much private land access.
    Keep the obsession going, it’ll keep you fed at the least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welcome...thats a fine canterbury blue boar indeed. that big trout is still out there,still growing bigger and still making more little trout LOL.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by HOO View Post
    Nice pig! Awesome you have so much private land access.
    Keep the obsession going, it’ll keep you fed at the least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate. Wild pork is delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    welcome...thats a fine canterbury blue boar indeed. that big trout is still out there,still growing bigger and still making more little trout LOL.
    Thank you. I look forward to making a few contributions. Haha, the big ones will always be there alright!

Ok, so I think I'm getting the hang of uploading pictures...........

Name:  P1.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  44.6 KBName:  P2.jpeg
Views: 61
Size:  201.2 KBName:  P3.jpeg
Views: 64
Size:  270.2 KBName:  P4.jpeg
Views: 62
Size:  272.0 KB