Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 10 Post By Stocky
  • 1 Post By nor-west
  • 1 Post By jakewire
  • 3 Post By gadgetman
  • 1 Post By jakewire

Thread: Big (potentially final) South Island Trip

Big (potentially final) South Island Trip

Hey guys I've just had leave approved for late march to do a big trip. This is potentially my final big trip in the south as I may be moving back up north next year for my partners job. I've been chasing a mature red for a few years now and would love to have a good shot of being in the right place. I've typically hunted North Canterbury and have seen a few middle aged animals but nothing really in the upper age bracket. I'd love a shot at a something special but also would like to look over some new country. I know that's somewhat counter intuitive but I may not get a chance for a few more years.

I love to know peoples suggestions on general areas that are a must hunt. I'd like to be on the divide as I get a thrill out of that sort of country. I'm thinking about the Rakaia/West Coast area I think but have done a small amount of hunting down around the Ahuriri but unsure of the quality of the genetics though I imagine they would throw to the otago type Scottish heads.

I was also wondering when going down the West Coast that the heads transition from rakaia type to the otago type heads. I'd love anything and something throwing strongly towards the traditional heritages would be awesome.

I'm not looking for actual spots just ideas on people's thoughts on must hunt areas and a few querys on then distribution of the original herds. If you'd rather not post publicly feel free to PM me.

Thanks
    Cam

Ps goodluck to everyone this year and be safe out their guys. Especially once the silly season starts.

Here's a pic of my last big trip so you have something other than words to look at.
    Name:  IMG_20200209_123636.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  6.52 MB
    crewe2, Danny, Shearer and 7 others like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Hey Stocky
    Late March down here is Big bore shoot weekend, figure it into your itinerary and............... who knows.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Down here? I live down south? Or do you mean down more. Which weekend is it or do you have a link? I doubt any of my rifles would be considered big bore though. Would be good to meet. A few more of the common names. Had a good hunt with a forum member two weeks back made for a nice change from solo hunting all the time.

The Haupiri Trent tops country held some beauty heads in the early 1980,s saw a few very good heads on the deer pile at Aickens (chopper shot ) and saw 2 great heads when hunting the same area with my Father in Law in 1980 so good genetics in that area. Probably shot out by Waro nowadays.
    Tentman likes this.

Stocky, anything North of the Waitaki is well... North.
    Christchurch, almost Ardern country up that way mate.
    Tie it in, you'll meet some good people.

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....-2020-a-57440/
    Last edited by jakewire; 29-02-2020 at 05:42 AM.
    Stocky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Stocky, anything North of the Waitaki is well... North.
    Christchurch, almost Ardern country up that way mate.
    Tie it in, you'll meet some good people.

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....-2020-a-57440/
    Wash your mouth out, ... with Waikato!
    jakewire, Stocky and Boxton like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Waikato Beer
    NZ Dictionary .Villainous applies to any evil, depraved, or vile
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    The Haupiri Trent tops country held some beauty heads in the early 1980,s saw a few very good heads on the deer pile at Aickens (chopper shot ) and saw 2 great heads when hunting the same area with my Father in Law in 1980 so good genetics in that area. Probably shot out by Waro nowadays.
    This. Good advice. Do some homework on it and spend double the time you'd think necessary and you just might be surprised. I shot a very good stag in the North Esk about 10 years ago (on private land but it'd probly come in from DOC land)