Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20Likes
  • 6 Post By Eat Meater
  • 3 Post By brad
  • 1 Post By Fred Fisherman
  • 2 Post By hunt08
  • 1 Post By Ned
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By craigc
  • 1 Post By woods223

Thread: The birds are back

The birds are back

I went for a hunt in the Tararuas Friday and Saturday. The weather was good and packed in as we got out yesterday.
    Found a nice hunting spot for the roar. Heaps of fresh feed, totally untouched, very little (deer) sign and some old antler rubbings near a probable wallow.
    Saw 2 piglets by the track on the way in which didn't run away for a while despite two humans standing 4 metres away (one of whom was trying to figure out if he could get out his folding knife and drop his pack in time to grab one) and heard from a group on the way out that they were charged by a huge sow on an old track near where we'd had a morning stalk.

But the highlight was the birds. Birds everywhere! We saw loads of riflemen, some of which came down to see what we were up to (one holding a caterpillar), whiteheads (ditto), tomtits, grey warblers, fantails, bellbirds and the obligatory kereru and tui. Heard but not seen were shining cuckoos and long tailed cuckoos (it helps that my mate is a birder). No pics sorry, we needed a camera to catch those little guys.

So although we didn't spot any deer or sign fresher than a day or two old, we had a great trip in some gorgeous mature bush with a thriving bird population. It's in an area where there was a 1080 drop a couple of years ago. Maybe that's made a difference (and from the look of it selected for 1080 resistant pigs).

So remember when you're out there, resting from carrying a heavy load, to sit quietly and listen and watch.

NB: Someone needs to sort out those pigs though. They're everywhere.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.
    Tahr, Puffin, Shearer and 3 others like this.

The Remutaka's are the same, birds galore. Probably because of the amount of berry around in the last 12 months and the 1080 last November. There's nothing nicer than than listening and watching birds while hunting.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

I definatley agree about the pigs, we've seen 20 odd in the past 3 weeks hunting public land lower NI, always not keen to shoot them as im looking for deer. As hunters I think we will have to start cleaing the up soon. Of the 20 odd I saw many were good size, healthy condition from the looks. I think pig hunters dont push into the slightly more remote areas and numbers are building up real quick. 1080 doesnt seem to effect them badly adn they have been thriving on the berry and fruit fall the possums aren/t getting. Just my thoughts/observations, are others seeing similar?
    Eat Meater likes this.

That's awesome to hear.

Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Fisherman View Post
    I definatley agree about the pigs, we've seen 20 odd in the past 3 weeks hunting public land lower NI, always not keen to shoot them as im looking for deer. As hunters I think we will have to start cleaing the up soon. Of the 20 odd I saw many were good size, healthy condition from the looks. I think pig hunters dont push into the slightly more remote areas and numbers are building up real quick. 1080 doesnt seem to effect them badly adn they have been thriving on the berry and fruit fall the possums aren/t getting. Just my thoughts/observations, are others seeing similar?
    Why would you turn up free meat wild pork is so good if I'm deer hunting & see a pig it coming home with me lol
    timattalon and Eat Meater like this.

Ned
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    The Remutaka's are the same, birds galore. Probably because of the amount of berry around in the last 12 months and the 1080 last November. There's nothing nicer than than listening and watching birds while hunting.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk
    The odd exception being when a kereru that you weren't aware of explodes into flight when you're in sneaky mode

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    brad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Fisherman View Post
    the 1080 is a double edged sword with pigs....it lowers compitition for food and folks with dogs will avoid area for up to two years to protect dogs from poison...its a horrid death for a dog. indeed we should be shooting pigs...pork is as good as venison.... most of us now use suppressors,back 30 years ago the 222 and 223 were considered great for bush hunting as the noise didnt carry far and could find another animal around next bend in river....a suppressed rifle shot is a lot quieter than they ever were.
    Daithi, Ned and Eat Meater like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Well next time I see a pig, it had better not be on the track. I'd rather avoid the self defence route.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

Plenty of pig sign around Sayers Hut when I was in there last. Also saw a couple a further north last week. I’ll head into the Tararuas this week and see if I can reduce the population a bit! 😀
    A330driver, Ned and Eat Meater like this.

Agree with MD regarding suppressors/223 and the likes. Shoot an animal and you’re still likely to see undisturbed ones not too far away. When I’m out and about, any pigs seen get the bullet. Doesn’t matter if you take them for meat or not, they make too big a mess of ground when in large numbers. Depending on what pigs have been eating but they can be disappointing eating, taste wise, at times. RSE workers never turn them down tho.
    Eat Meater likes this.