Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Blaze or No Blaze?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Orange Blaze

36 31.86%
  • Blue Blaze

26 23.01%
  • No Blaze

51 45.13%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Blaze or no Blaze

No Blaze like others said, cant see me cant shoot me, that orange blaze crap is a joke, I Hunt alone, and I will Never hunt on weekends or during busy holiday periods, I never have and never will.
    Last edited by oneshot; 31-03-2016 at 09:18 PM.
    mikee and screamO like this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

No blaze here as all my gear is multi-purpose. Like others have said, better to not draw attention to your self as you may just increase you your chances of been mistaken for something else...
    mikee and deer243 like this.
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

Sometimes a blaze vest. I did take it off the other nigjt as light was fading as i dont like looking like a deer in lowlight. Was thinking of buying some blue for this weekends trip or just camo.

Read this: http://www.mountainsafety.org.nz/ass...summary(2).pdf

In Virginia, 63% of hunting incidents involved wearing blaze orange.

The problem with wearing camo. is that these clowns are shooting at movement or sound. Blaze is better. Yellow tends to fade out in late afternoon sunlight, and blue is difficult to see in heavy, dark bush. Wearing green, brown or camo is asking for trouble.
    260hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    The problem with wearing camo. is that these clowns are shooting at movement or sound. Blaze is better. Yellow tends to fade out in late afternoon sunlight, and blue is difficult to see in heavy, dark bush. Wearing green, brown or camo is asking for trouble.
    Are you serious....these so called clowns are normally always experinced hunters who have done it a long time, they not shooting at movement or a sound, thats a joke. They not identifying there target 100pcent, they see part of something they clearly think is a deer. To there eyes what they seeing is a deer, the colour, shape etc is what there brain is telling them , yep, thats a deer. The mistake they making is not seeing enough of the animal to confirm 100 p cent it is actually a deer.
    Deer arent green, and wearing camo is not asking for trouble because they happen to see some movement because they not just shooting at movement. Just happens that some of the ones shot last year were wearing blaze, and it didnt save them. One was shot in the head and he had a blaze cap on.. I suggest wearing green, camo is prob safer than blaze, they wont see you , and if they do they going to struggle thinking you a deer . More likely a faded blaze top, brown backpack, colour of your hair than camo.
    And from your BIO on your profile Ranger 88 you should know what the facts are when it comes to these shootings. Being a former firearm safety officer and involved in SAR and the mountain Safety you should know its experienced hunters, over 45, been hunting at least ten years or more that are involved in most of these shootings, not "clowns that just fire at anything"". Maybe back in your day you werent informed on the facts ?
    Last edited by deer243; 31-03-2016 at 11:15 PM.
    veitnamcam, Pointer, mikee and 3 others like this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Both the dog and me are Blue Matchy matchy
    260hunter likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Orange blaze for me - been wearing it for years. Think blue blaze would appear black in poor light in the bush which may just look like a nice Captain cooker.
    End of day it's what YOU wear that makes you feel safe. Happy hunting

Blue blaze all the way. Sticks out like dogs balls in the bush. Even at last light.
    This image was the decider for me. Am only wearing a blue beanie, rest of me is in camp or olive. Was a grey dark and cold day in the kaimanawas.
    Name:  IMG_4169.JPG
Views: 506
Size:  280.8 KB
    Dundee, Munsey, 260hunter and 4 others like this.

Pink was proven in studies to be the best from memory, who's keen?
    hillclima, Gibo and Sideshow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Pink was proven in studies to be the best from memory, who's keen?
    Dad had some Velcro pink leg bands for penicillin treated cows! I used to wear theses you stuck out like skinny dog balls.
    Also deer don't see it like they do blue!
    Pointer likes this.

Maybe we should all wear rainbow coloured clothes... ok obviously this dude's not wearing but... yeah.

I've got a blaze vest and hat. But I don't wear them really and haven't been shot yet!!! My wife says she will kill anyone who shoots me so beware.... I really dont know and cant make an informed choice, so not voting.

Very interesting thread, great discussion. Never considered wearing blaze would potentially put you in more danger.. Will put more thought into this!

The only problem with blue is that it sticks out for deer as well. We have trichromatic vision. Deer have dichromatic vision. This means that deer do not possess all of cones in the eye that we do. The cone that they are missing is the one that is sensitive to longer wavelengths such as red and orange. Similar to someone who is colour blind they have trouble distinguishing between middle-wavelength light (which includes green) and the longer wavelengths (red and orange). What they do possess are the cones sensitive to short-wave length light which includes the blue portion of the colour spectrum. So it is important that you do not let a deer drive your car or pick your tomatoes.

Unfortunately, it appears that there is an evolutionary reason that they are dichromatic. A study published in the journal for the Royal Society for Biological sciences in the early 90s showed that colour blind people (who have dichromatic vision) performed far between than people with normal vision in identifying camouflaged objects.
    veitnamcam, Pointer, Feral and 3 others like this.