Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Blaze or No Blaze?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Orange Blaze

36 31.86%
  • Blue Blaze

26 23.01%
  • No Blaze

51 45.13%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Blaze or no Blaze

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post
    Very interesting thread, great discussion. Never considered wearing blaze would potentially put you in more danger.. Will put more thought into this!
    2 or 3 roars ago, i had an experience where i roared in a couple of hunters in fairly thick bush. Before i knew they were hunters i had seen what i was sure was deer colour moving across behind scrub, i could hear it, and was waiting for it to come out further and present a shot. then a bush started to shake, and i was expecting to see the stag emerge from the scrub - I got a hell of a shock when a father and son hunters popped out, they wearing full blaze orange head to toe. My rifle was not raised into the shooting position once, but my thumb was resting on the safety all ready to flick it off.

I am certain that there would have been some people would have fired at the first colour and movement that i had seen (heaven forbid). The colour i saw looked exactly like deer colour to me when it was under a dark bush canopy and partially hidden behind scrub.

It scared the shit out of me, I was sitting hidden behind a bush higher than where they emerged wearing full camo/green, they hadnt seen me until i made my presence known to them, fair to say they shat themselves too. We all hunted together for the rest of the day.

I believe its not until you have witnessed this that you will have a good appreciation for how bad blaze orange can be, in my opinion it is darn right dangerous in this situation. Whilst there is still no excuses for shooting someone that is wearing blaze orange (or anything else) why wear something that actually can make the situation worse and make you look more like deer colour in some situations.

Green and/or camo for me, would rather not be seen rather than make myself a target. Blaze orange IMO is dangerous and should be banned! There has been a couple incidents of recent years from memory where the poor bastards were trying to do the right thing, wearing blaze orange beanies/caps and got shot in the head!!
    deer243 and hotsoup like this.

res
    I use blue tramping gear, not really a fan of cammo and after checking out a "deer" through my scope to find it was a hunter in dirty blaze I'm iffy on the orange stuff
    Using Tapatalk

Banned
    I wear an orange blaze roadworkers vest with high viz strips....I think I look more YMCA than deer
    sometimes and deadidick like this.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    There are some very interesting comments. Keep them coming. I personally wear Camo and will until a law is passed that says i can't wear it.
    GWH and Nibblet like this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Some real life statistics would be nice. Surely they have been taking note of the hunting incidents and weather they were wearing blaze or not

TJM
    Blue blaze hat for me, had orange but could be mistaken for a red deer for the inexperienced, no blue in the bush so a hunter would have to be shooting at movement if they saw blue.
    Didn't shoot untill later in the roar last year for the very reason people seem to be trigger happy earlier on,, was thinking of getting out this weekend but the latest incident has me thinking.......
    260hunter likes this.

I believe that the Nato blue was not chosen cos it looks pretty.
    As for Deer seeing blue...so what?
    260hunter likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I believe that the Nato blue was not chosen cos it looks pretty.
    As for Deer seeing blue...so what?
    My issue with blue is wasps love of it.

If you havent already you will hunt parts of Nelson infested with the angry little cunts.

Orange high vis is awesome on the tops in light.
    I dont wear it in the bush. Black and green for bush for me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    GWH and deer243 like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I wear as much Blaze Orange as I can, and make sure it's not faded - has to be bright orange. Apparently investigations have shown that most people who shot someone else in the bush, were absolutely certain that they saw a deer - the brain recalled images from the past, and convinced them that what they were seeing was a deer. Most were very experienced hunters. Blaze Blue or Orange is designed to give the brain a jolt before the trigger is pulled, and break the message from the brain. Unfortunately, maybe there was not enough blaze, or bright enough blaze to save these victins?
    In my opinion, to say it is better not to wear blaze because some people have been shot wearing blaze, is like saying you will not wear a seat belt because you know of someone who was killed whilst wearing a seatbelt. I wonder how many people have been saved by wearing Blaze? I guess we will never know.
    Orange over blue, due to deer being able to see the blue spectrum, but not the red spectrum so well.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

I was stalking with a good mate in thick bush on public land new years day a couple of years back...had a great day,spooked a few animals and sat down for snack, not long after continueing I looked down through the bush about 50 yards and spotted a BRIGHT orange horizontal line...approx. 24" long and 3" high...fair jumped out at me...looked hard,wound up scope to 9x (bolt open) still couldn't make it out,neither could my mate standing beside me,we must have stared hard for 30-40 secs but just couldn't work it out,until deers head came up and spiker took off,we had been looking at his back over a slight rise
    ever since then I am doubly cautious of anything orange...because my brain has had "its a deer" message I need to be extra cautious
    the blaze orange Tshirt will go onto my canvas back pack while I wear blaze blue
    and the Te Pari products Oamaru caps are same smurf blue and really stand out.

I voted for blaze, but think it is irrelevant in NZ, I would never hunt during the roar, to many idiots out there, no colour will help if people are shooting on movement of a branch or shrub.
    gptemp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    My issue with blue is wasps love of it.

If you havent already you will hunt parts of Nelson infested with the angry little cunts.

Orange high vis is awesome on the tops in light.
    I dont wear it in the bush. Black and green for bush for me

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Yep, I have met the local wasps, and so did my dog unfortunately
    Bees love the blue as well, but I still prefer to wear it due to not knowing of any blue animals.
    I also wear a bright orange blaze cap, and have been told that I stand out like the proverbial poochs ballbag from a fair distance, even in tight bush
    260hunter likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Bees love the blue as well, but I still prefer to wear it due to not knowing of any blue animals.
    I also wear a bright orange blaze cap, and have been told that I stand out like the proverbial poochs ballbag from a fair distance, even in tight bush
    You even look like a pooch's ballbag Pengy.
    deer243 likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Maybe we should get some "Blue Blaze stuff " for VC and take him along as a "safety beacon / wasp decoy"!!
    deer243 likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    You even look like a pooch's ballbag Pengy.
    Well he cant look like my pooches ball bag cause someone stole his balls a long long time ago........................ and hes still looking for them too
    Pengy and Micky Duck like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.