Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Blue Mountains, anyone keen to share a block?

when we hunt the north side, we usually stay at Black Gully camping ground? (not really a camping ground, more a big picnic area with about 5-6 cabins) think 1960"s forestry huts with a couple of bunks and power on. $15-$20 a night per person. if we hunting the Rankleburn side we stay at the Pub, they have basic cabins as well, i think they were $25 a night, but when you get back after dark you can go to the pub for a couple of drinks and they serve up a mean evening meal as well. yea, spose to be no camping on any of the blocks, not to sure where i read it, either on permit or on doc site, although we have stayed in a hut that is about 300m from road down in the bottom of a gully, can't remember name of block off hand would have to look at a map, Dunn creek rings a bell, will look up web site.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

I wish it was a bit closer @Ryan_Songhurst ! Since I've chased fallow all my life up here in Wanganui I've always wanted to have a go at them in the Blue Mountains. But a bit far to go for a weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by kidmac42 View Post
    The 'no camping' rule has been in place for some years.

Side note, I see you have changed your gang colours/affiliations. Interesting.
    It is very clearly written in the conditions section of the your Blue Mountain hunting permit
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTY View Post
    when we hunt the north side, we usually stay at Black Gully camping ground? (not really a camping ground, more a big picnic area with about 5-6 cabins) think 1960"s forestry huts with a couple of bunks and power on. $15-$20 a night per person. if we hunting the Rankleburn side we stay at the Pub, they have basic cabins as well, i think they were $25 a night, but when you get back after dark you can go to the pub for a couple of drinks and they serve up a mean evening meal as well. yea, spose to be no camping on any of the blocks, not to sure where i read it, either on permit or on doc site, although we have stayed in a hut that is about 300m from road down in the bottom of a gully, can't remember name of block off hand would have to look at a map, Dunn creek rings a bell, will look up web site.
    Pretty horrible hut that one in the Gully at Dunn Creek. Personally I wouldn't stay in it. A bit like the "fisherman" hut down by the Pomie, best pitch a tent in the domain.

There heaps of options to stay in or near the Blue Mountains:
    Black Gully -$15 per night
    Beaumont Pub - maybe $20-30
    Tapanui Camp ground
    Camp for free along the Clutha River
    Camp at the fisherman at down by the pomie, again free

Also have slept in my car at road ends up on the mountain and have camped up on Smithys Spur, so I'm certainly not telling you not to, just that you not allowed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    It is very clearly written in the conditions section of the your Blue Mountain hunting permit
    So someone who is not a hunter will never know that and are free to do as they please?
    Boaraxa likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    So someone who is not a hunter will never know that and are free to do as they please?
    so only hunters aren't allowed to camp ? well technically your not hunting when your sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Yes, and as far as I know nothing stopping trampers from camping.

Like you, I didn't know about the rule until someone mentioned it to me. I not sure why its there. Is it something to do with it being an RHA? (but that doesn't make sense as you can camp in all the others I've been in). It could be something to do with the forest company. I dunno, but the rule is there. Camp up there if you want. As above I have on occasion.
    Last edited by Dama dama; 02-09-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    dannyb likes this.

As I mentioned earlier it probably because the main access is through working foresty, I know in the past there have been major problems with illegal spotlighting and pighunting, with forest harvest gear damaged and workers threatened . . . so the gates are carefully controlled and locked at night now

The camping rule has been around longer that the padlocks.

Seems a bit biased that only hunters have this rule imposed on them? Well, ill vbe taking my overnight gear, just in case I get caught out and have to spend the night, can never be too carefull....
    Dama dama and dannyb like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

NRT
    It's for everyone no camping in my thirty odd years of hunting that awesome place ,I have never seen a tramper or day walker only hunters .They also would have to pay there money to get a block ,and then they would have to ring up and get gate combination it's not a case of rocking up there and doing whatever you want.

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

@NRT the walking track from Black gully to whiskey seems quite popular... only hunted that side a couple of times mid week but always met a few trampers on the track or hitching between tack ends. The track traverses 4 blocks and is 14km, would be tempting to camp on the tops, quite scenic!

NRT
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunty1 View Post
    @NRT the walking track from Black gully to whiskey seems quite popular... only hunted that side a couple of times mid week but always met a few trampers on the track or hitching between tack ends. The track traverses 4 blocks and is 14km, would be tempting to camp on the tops, quite scenic!
    Hunted it once ,that would occur eastern blocks never seen a walker

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    The camping rule has been around longer that the padlocks.
    The camping rule was introduced as a result of my Grandfathers camping activities. His favorite camp fare when hunting in the Blue Mountains being a stew made in a 4 gallon tin over the fire from a recipe of 1 piglet and 12 Wood Pidgeons
    NRT likes this.