Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Boutique hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Pigs in texas from choppers? watched a lot of videos of that
    Yea that
    Toby likes this.

I asked dad he said the guy only got about 5 years for shooting that helicopter. Not much time really is it

@Gibo I tried thought I was in cause a pic came up of a black chopper but it took for ever to start.

Cock Smokers!!!!!
    veitnamcam likes this.

I see it as adventure tourism rather than hunting. Where there is a demand, some one will endeavour to make a dollar out of it.
    It should be relegated to private land though, if he is found to have flouted the terms of his concession to operate on public land then hopefully he loses them altogether.
    Good point about everyone being ok with it if it was a mob of pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    I see it as adventure tourism rather than hunting. Where there is a demand, some one will endeavour to make a dollar out of it.
    It should be relegated to private land though, if he is found to have flouted the terms of his concession to operate on public land then hopefully he loses them altogether.
    Good point about everyone being ok with it if it was a mob of pigs.
    Its a bit different shooting a species that is easy and plentiful for everyone, especially if its not a species that is predominantly hunted for trophies. Those poor buggers on the camera had slogged their guts out to get up to their hunt only to watch those idiots turn up and stir up the whole hill side.

The only reasonable excuse I could see for someone to take and animal in this fashion is if they were disabled to the point where they couldn't negotiate the terrain on their own two feet.

Quote Originally Posted by big_foot View Post
    Its a bit different shooting a species that is easy and plentiful for everyone, especially if its not a species that is predominantly hunted for trophies. Those poor buggers on the camera had slogged their guts out to get up to their hunt only to watch those idiots turn up and stir up the whole hill side.

The only reasonable excuse I could see for someone to take and animal in this fashion is if they were disabled to the point where they couldn't negotiate the terrain on their own two feet.
    Agreed, the guys filming we're let down by the concession system.
    I assume old mate was blatantly flouting the rules allowing him to operate commercially on public land, hopefully he is taken to task for it.
    Anyone would be upset to have their day ruined like that and rightly so, that's why it should be kept to private land.
    I don't get the extra emotion attached when it's game animals being hazed, over feral animals ?
    NRT likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Agreed, the guys filming we're let down by the concession system.
    I assume old mate was blatantly flouting the rules allowing him to operate commercially on public land, hopefully he is taken to task for it.
    Anyone would be upset to have their day ruined like that and rightly so, that's why it should be kept to private land.
    I don't get the extra emotion attached when it's game animals being hazed, over feral animals ?
    Please define "game and "feral"

I dont have an issue with choppers being used as a control measure for an out of control population,Ie pigs in parts of America at the moment and deer here in the past.
    And while Im not for it I am neither against WARO as generally it is only when populations are highish and the game is being "used" as opposed to poisoned and it is providing jobs and revenue for the country.
    One could argue herding/hazing is also providing revenue/jobs but it is relatively insignificant compared to "real" hunting and the dollars spent.
    Hey if you want to provide that service on privately owned land the public cant access to make a mint out of rich useless fat wankers well and good but i still dont think its fair to the animals.
    JoshC and johnino like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Fulla
    I suppose its a bit like spot lighting. frowned on by many. and no its not real hunting.
    but so many of these lines get crossed, shooting in a open paddock instead of bush. using a quad bike to get around, long range hunting. night vision. binos. anything that seems to give the hunter a un-fair edge. where do you draw the line. and for what reason. is meat hunting ok. but not if its got good antlers. why would it be ok for pigs and not tahr...
    but for the record, I wouldn't do that kind of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    I suppose its a bit like spot lighting. frowned on by many. and no its not real hunting.
    but so many of these lines get crossed, shooting in a open paddock instead of bush. using a quad bike to get around, long range hunting. night vision. binos. anything that seems to give the hunter a un-fair edge. where do you draw the line. and for what reason. is meat hunting ok. but not if its got good antlers. why would it be ok for pigs and not tahr...
    but for the record, I wouldn't do that kind of hunting.
    Its not that blurry really....I think its pretty well defined.
    I spotlight occasionally legally on private property with permission. Its not hunting its spotlighting(my view and in most cases is pest control keeping feral animals off of crops/new grass) but it is not herding/hazing(this means chasing around the mountainside until exhausted so you can drop some lazy prick near by and literally heard them to him so he can shoot it in the arse six times!) to exhastion

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post

I dont have an issue with choppers being used as a control measure for an out of control population,Ie pigs in parts of America at the moment and deer here in the past.
    And while Im not for it I am neither against WARO as generally it is only when populations are highish and the game is being "used" as opposed to poisoned and it is providing jobs and revenue for the country.
    One could argue herding/hazing is also providing revenue/jobs but it is relatively insignificant compared to "real" hunting and the dollars spent.
    Hey if you want to provide that service on privately owned land the public cant access to make a mint out of rich useless fat wankers well and good but i still dont think its fair to the animals.
    Hunting is not fair on animals full stop. Is it fair that a pig gets chased by a pack of dogs then stuck. It's just about peoples hunting ethics and everyone's different.

Your not really naming and shaming ether because I doubt they will be ashamed about it. I know a number of operators do this and one every man and his dog uses.
    Savage1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    Hunting is not fair on animals full stop. Is it fair that a pig gets chased by a pack of dogs then stuck. It's just about peoples hunting ethics and everyone's different.

Your not really naming and shaming ether because I doubt they will be ashamed about it. I know a number of operators do this and one every man and his dog uses.
    Name them I wont use them
    BRADS and 308 like this.

Same here, I wouldn't touch these people with a bargepole

I imagine hazing is still done all over the place, public and private land. Plenty of operators probably do it, including those that ferry hunters around. I've also heard of a very well respected person who is recreational pilot too, doing this for his mates(no concessions to take animals from conservation land either).

I don't have a problem with WARO as the numbers do need to be manager outside of what recreational hunters can do. Hunting isn't catch and release, animals die regardless in NZ. Read for the hut log books in the areas with Tahr; people are shooting more than 10 animals in a day, I don't believe that they are carrying out all the meat. I imagine that this include some forum members, even some that may have commented on this thread.

I don't agree with hazing, very disappointing that it still happens. There is plenty of other "unethical" hunting going on most days/nights in NZ. Spotlighting on public and private land, bailing pigs with dogs and some people don't like this long distance stuff that a lot of us (myself included) are doing. We all have our own opinions I guess about what's right and wrong(made clear by the comments that hazing pigs is ok and they would be keen to do it).

So who has actually discussed this incident with the Heli Hunting concession issuer/manager at DOC? I do not know who this is these days since Hayden left.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Sure, my view is that..... game is the deer species, tahr & chamois. Ferals are goats & pigs. I just find it an interesting discussion point that there is often different attitudes towards their respective welfare, personally I'm fairly neutral on it either way.
    I think @username summed it up perfectly, "It's just about peoples hunting ethics and everyone's different."
    These people are simply paying for an experience, I doubt ethics come into it for them in the same manner that they would for you and I.
    Shame of it is, all the above are collectively viewed as pests by DOC & any control methods are entertained.
    For me, the bigger issue here is the impact the 'commercial' helicopter operation is having spoiling peoples hard earnt trips into the wilderness on public land.
    username and Uplandstalker like this.