Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Buller /Tasman biggest 1080 drop in history this spring

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    But what really grinds my gears is when they say it is a humane killer. How can it be humane when death can take up to 12 hours!
    We lost a dog to 1080, they'd dropped it way outside the area they said to be the boundary in the Tararuas, (ended up not far from the Parents farm) and that was horrible to see. Poor dog started charging around the house yelpinp and shortly after started having convulsions. He was put down to end it as soon as possible. It's horrible shit!
    deer243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Because pests re-invade, and breed?
    Yea but in the article it also said after the drop there monitors got 0 hits for rats,mice so from 0 to two years later how bad can it be !!!

An example:

A female rat can mate as many as 500 times with various males during a six-hour period of receptivity—a state she experiences about 15 times per year. Thus a pair of brown rats can produce as many as 2,000 descendants in a year if left to breed unchecked. (A rat matures sexually at age three to four months.)

Well that's a shit way to control them then if they have to dump 1080 on the place every 2 years it,l only be the rats that survive
    deer243 likes this.

An example:

A female rat can mate as many as 500 times with various males during a six-hour period of receptivity—a state she experiences about 15 times per year. Thus a pair of brown rats can produce as many as 2,000 descendants in a year if left to breed unchecked. (A rat matures sexually at age three to four months.)
    How many times it can mate in 6hours is irrelevant. What matters is average litter size and gestation period.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    K95 and blake like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    How many times it can mate in 6hours is irrelevant. What matters is average litter size and gestation period.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    I just thought that you would like the sex talk.

Poisoning the forest to kill off rats achieves bugger all as the rats quickly breed to pre poison levels.In the mean time the bird life has now been wiped out.And our drinking water and table meat poisoned.These people are Delusional clowns.
    blake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by H&K MAN View Post
    Poisoning the forest to kill off rats achieves bugger all as the rats quickly breed to pre poison levels.In the mean time the bird life has now been wiped out.And our drinking water and table meat poisoned.These people are Delusional clowns.
    You have probably just given the reason why they need to poison more often.
    You are very good at name calling.
    Put your energy in quoting instances of poisoned meat or water, and the harm that it caused.

K95
    An example:

2000 per year is a fairly good stretch of the truth. 100 with a 95% mortality rate is closer....Still, they breed very fast.
    I'm pretty neutral on the whole 1080 thing. DoC spin a ton of bullshit and they do have a hard time admitting it does kill kea and rock wren etc. The hardcore antis also spin a ton of bullshit too. It's good people don't take everything the govt decide without kicking up a fuss if it's deserved.
    veitnamcam and Uplandstalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by K95 View Post
    2000 per year is a fairly good stretch of the truth. 100 with a 95% mortality rate is closer....Still, they breed very fast.
    I'm pretty neutral on the whole 1080 thing. DoC spin a ton of bullshit and they do have a hard time admitting it does kill kea and rock wren etc. The hardcore antis also spin a ton of bullshit too. It's good people don't take everything the govt decide without kicking up a fuss if it's deserved.
    I uplifted that from Wiki. Just like all good pro-anything zelots, I searched for numbers that suited my cause

But I'm a bit on the fence about 1080 too. I can see the merits though, and think that the risks and down sides are over played. In balance I think that it is a useful tool in saving species. I also think a lot of the opposition is because it kills deer, but hunters aren't prepared to admit its that that they don't like so they concoct other unfouded reasons for their opposition.
    Last edited by Tahr; 29-04-2016 at 05:24 PM.
    Wildman, K95, kiwijames and 1 others like this.

K95
    I uplifted that from Wiki. Just like all good pro-anything zelots, I searched for numbers that suited my cause

But I'm a bit on the fence about 1080 too. I can see the merits though, and think that the risks and down sides are over played. In balance I think that it is a useful tool in saving species. I also think a lot of the opposition is because it kills deer, but hunters aren't prepared to admit its that that they don't like so they concoct other unfouded reasons for their opposition.
    Yip. Hit it on the nose. I don't like it killing deer and the lack of value placed on our recreational hunting, there will hopefully be more constructive work in the future between DoC and hunters. Reading some of the old old books, like Charlie Douglas' reports where his dog would have a dozen kakapo dead outside the tent in the morning gives me a good idea how much we have lost to predators. It's all a balance.
    kiwijames likes this.

The 1080 Industry is on a winner here. It was getting pretty hard to justify INCREASE drops for possum control and TB, esp when some areas are so low in possum numbers.
    Also the risks of spread of TB by possums has now come out its that low and not a major factor as reported to us in the past but stock movement from one area to another is the major factor. Its lucky for them that plagues of rats and mice have taken over the country, eating eggs and totally out of control.......so much in factor WAR has been declared, Battle of the Birds, save the birds or the rats and stoats will wipe them out!
    1080 drops now in record numbers,increased untold volume to control the plagues of pests , even thou its a fact that 1080 is never ever going to control or wipe out rats or stoats. 1080 will reduce numbers after a drop, but they spike back in numbers even greater than before, causing its own little rat plague as so much feed around, ideal condations to breed sees to that.
    So its a on going circle, bomb the place in huge numbers, reduce the rats and as a huge bonus kill deer and pigs as a (targeted)by kill. Then the drops produce more pest numbers themselves, spike in numbers that justify a on going bomb up for years. Yes, the 1080 industry is on a winner here, they got a feel good campaign going, save the poor little birds......justifys huge areas of 1080 drops as we can all see the plague of rats that are taking over the country cant we, and every two years the cycle repeats WINNER (plus it must be the rats as no birds in the bush. what else could it be )

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    The 1080 Industry is on a winner here. It was getting pretty hard to justify INCREASE drops for possum control and TB, esp when some areas are so low in possum numbers.
    Also the risks of spread of TB by possums has now come out its that low and not a major factor as reported to us in the past but stock movement from one area to another is the major factor. Its lucky for them that plagues of rats and mice have taken over the country, eating eggs and totally out of control.......so much in factor WAR has been declared, Battle of the Birds, save the birds or the rats and stoats will wipe them out!
    1080 drops now in record numbers,increased untold volume to control the plagues of pests , even thou its a fact that 1080 is never ever going to control or wipe out rats or stoats. 1080 will reduce numbers after a drop, but they spike back in numbers even greater than before, causing its own little rat plague as so much feed around, ideal condations to breed sees to that.
    So its a on going circle, bomb the place in huge numbers, reduce the rats and as a huge bonus kill deer and pigs as a (targeted)by kill. Then the drops produce more pest numbers themselves, spike in numbers that justify a on going bomb up for years. Yes, the 1080 industry is on a winner here, they got a feel good campaign going, save the poor little birds......justifys huge areas of 1080 drops as we can all see the plague of rats that are taking over the country cant we, and every two years the cycle repeats WINNER (plus it must be the rats as no birds in the bush. what else could it be )
    Maaate...stick to being an authority on the .243
    K95 and kiwijames like this.

Still haven't got my 1080 bribe cheque. Whoever is paying them, pm me
    Tahr and kiwijames like this.

I don't like that 1080 kills deer. That's annoying. It'd be great if everyone would just admit that's why they don't like it instead of making up a load of bollocks
    Tahr, K95, kiwijames and 3 others like this.