Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Bullet Placement, where is your sweet spot?

Reading this thread with great interest, still inexperienced, so will go for the shoulder shot as i was taught.......neck if a broadside shot does not present itself......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    I always go for the crease just behind the shoulder. Lob a 308 in there and it's good night
    Never been keen to try a head/neck shot in fear of wounding and losing it
    Yeah im the same as @sako75 , just slightly in behind the front should for entry, smashes through the vitals, (heart lungs ) biggest area to aim for with biggest target to hit. Havent lost an animal to date, never dropped one on the spot but a quick scout on the blood trail leaves usually only a 30 meter walk to the animal. I feel confident shooting my rifle and could most likely make the neck head shots if I was forced too but prefer to whistle or bark at the deer to pull them up or make them move a little on the spot for a shot. Hunting for meat so in behind the shoulder usually allows at least one front shoulder to still be able to be quickly boned for sausages patties salami's etc.
    deer243, Scouser, Kiwiman and 1 others like this.
    You know, if you need 100 rounds to kill a deer, maybe hunting isn't your sport.

Just take the opportunities as they present themselves. The key to a clean kill is understanding the anatomy of a deer and being able to assess the angle of where the bullet will go after it hits. The angles and anatomy are very important.

If you become a slave to a particular aiming point, you are going to miss out on a few.
    I prefer the bullet to go right through, but that's a personal thing. Two busted shoulders are better than one, just as a decent blood trail is better than none.

And if you keep hunting long enough, you will all have the odd one get away, and have the odd fail no matter what.

No one learns anything by looking at a pic of a deer with its head blown off. But like Oneshot did, you learn a lot by fishing around inside and seeing the bullets path and what organs are damaged.

I shot a hind with a 308 125gn just behind the shoulder. She took off and all I could think was 'oh fuk' fortunately my brother was higher up from me and saw her when she came to a stop. He was about to shoot it when she jelled over dead. Where she dropped the ground was literally sprayed in blood.
    I have gone back to 168gn SGK and drop them on the spot.
    As Tahr said, as long as it is a humane shot and causes them no suffering then it is a good shot
    Kiwiman and madmaori like this.

sako75 Interesting you say that i've just watched a dvd and thats where they aim, there reason is 100% kill and less meat loss, my hot spot has now changed from the shoulder to the crease.
    sako75 and DanS like this.
    God bless me coz on other bas**@d will