Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Camo or not to Camo? Gear recommendations?

MB
    Whatever you decide you want to get, buy it in the UK. NZ is not a cheap place to do shopping.
    Dublin likes this.

Thanks for all the input guys. Sounds like I can just bring my own kit I have a lor of swedish goretex gear, some sitka gear and loads of army surplus so that sounds it will fit the bill. I dont know wht i thought it would be any different than what i do hear, just tryng to plan for getting stuck in some bad weather.

I will definitely be renting a PLB! Im pretty good at map reading and getting about steep rocky ground but only takes one slip up. Plus peace of mind will help me concentrate on the hunt.

As for calibre sounds like I will stick to .270 or .308 as I know my drops for them calibres. Good point about resale value and likely could get a good deal on a second hand rifle closer to my trip.

So far this forum has been awesome thanks for the advice guys.

Personally I would upgrade the size of your pack unless you are only day hunting. 75 to 80 litre works for me
    Bagheera likes this.

Back to your original question: often you will be at quite close to deer like <20m so although movement and concealment are key, camo can help. I personally wear some blaze orange - not perfect but dont overthink it. 90% of the time it makes you more visible.

If you like books order a copy of the nz Bush craft manual 40 from the mountain safety council org online shop. It has good safety and gear info very extensive and will step you across from UK to NZ competency.

I've liked a few other excellent advice here.

I went through that whole thing when I got in to hunting. Bought all the flash camo hunting gear. Now I don't even think I own any camo. Reckon the best way to go is to buy high quality tramping gear in neutral colours. Keep the quality high and you'll be good to go. Winter hunting in the NI around the Kaimanawas etc I generally wear a base layer of light merino, long sleeve shirt, fleece top and some light tramping pants. Keep a light weight rain jacket and a down layer and then you can just build up your layers. Crazy how warm a reasonable down jacket is with a windproof layer over it. I have never bothered with insulated boots, just nice merino socks and gaiters to help keep dry. Run a 243 for the bulk of my hunting but keep a 7mm rem mag when I venture to SI. I run a 65L pack which fits all of my gear for a multi day ok but do have to keep a few elements on the outside of the pack if I take a spotter and tripod.
    Bagheera and BeeMan like this.

.243 addict
    I can show you a dozen Samba shot with the 243, one that's getting mounted at the moment. Never under estimate the mighty 243. Like any rifle place your shot.