Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Carrying Ammo while Hunting with a Single Shot

Suburbs of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
    I think this should do the trick. You can stay in the field all week.

.22 Rifle Bandolier at Amazon

So stylish!

You're welcome.
    norsk likes this.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."
    - (Patrick Henry, 3 J. Elliot, Debates in the Several State Conventions 45, 2d ed. Philadelphia, 1836)

Thanks for all the comments, ideas and memories. I, too, recall the sweet taste of air rifle pellets.

That bandolier really makes a statement OPS-4.

I'm not all that sympathetic. Nowadays the idea of choosing to use a single shot is that you have one shot and make it count. If you want more firepower you will have a magazine rifle you can use. Dont try to make it something it's not.

Accessories used back in the period like a wrist strap, leather loops on the butt and mud flap butt pad would certainly add to the experience, though. In the old days it used to be easier to get another round out of the cardboard box you carried in your pocket, too.

Name:  61y5eFkt+DL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  17.9 KB

Something like this sling might work.
    40mm likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

northdude
    Poke one up each nostril and one in each ear
    Tommy, Cordite and Max Headroom like this.

What about something like a builders belt with nail pouch.
    I think the 10 shot mag on belt clip is best idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Nice post. I think you have it. Maybe get someone to ream it out for .22WMR. Even less need for quick reloads and no worries about them being too long for the magazine.
    @Cordite I have a Savage 3D with a really dinged up chamaber edge, that could be just the ticket.
    Cordite likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Thanks for all the comments and ideas.

Sure, most of us probably do have access to a magazine repeater or even a semi-auto nowadays.... nevertheless there are some beautiful single-shots around and I can understand some folks wanting to experiment with different ways of using, enjoying and becoming more proficient with them. No matter what firepower we have, it is desirable to make the first shot a good one.

People who like muzzleloaders are true single-shot enthusiasts. Some black powder shooters like to get faster at reloading and shooting, just as I imagine the early users of single-shot cartridge rifles liked to become proficient at quickly reloading - at times their life may have depended on making another quick shot (eg early hunters in Africa, or British soldiers using a Snider or Martini-Henry).

To me old single-shot rifles have a certain 'mystique'. As a child I recall my uncle telling me about an old roadman who kept his family fed with a single-shot .22. And my dad had an elderly acquaintance who lived on d'Urville Island in the early 1900's. This guy was portrayed to me as a hardworking, tough achiever with a gentle nature. One day dad was with him when he robbed a wild bee-hive and carried the honey home in two four-gallon buckets with wire handles that must have really been hard on his hands. Another time his sheep dog bailed a big pig and was getting a hard time. He dived on to the pig and grasped it tightly in a strangle-hold... he went to pull out his sheath knife and found it wasn't there. So he rolled down the hill with the pig and drowned it in a creek..... Anyway, this guy had a Winchester single shot .22 (but apparently didn't have it with him for the pig incident). It had a very heavy barrel, and you had to pull back the cocking piece after closing the bolt. He used it for all sorts of game including wild cattle because it is what he had. This gentleman (Ron Hope) was a hero to my father... and to us kids as well.
    john m and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    @Cordite I have a Savage 3D with a really dinged up chamaber edge, that could be just the ticket.
    Hope it goes well. Reamers available on evilbay. 22WMR even requires the same twist rate as .22LR.

But it's the end of (as) cheap plinking. Cheap ammo arguably does not make aomeone a better shot...at least not as quickly. (-:
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Poke one up each nostril and one in each ear
    That solves the problem of bullet lube loss...
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Hope it goes well. Reamers available on evilbay. 22WMR even requires the same twist rate as .22LR.

But it's the end of (as) cheap plinking. Cheap ammo arguably does not make aomeone a better shot...at least not as quickly. (-:
    Well, it's a single shot, so I'm not going to burn through it THAT fast! I also have way too many 22lr rifles anyway. This doesn't even go bang
    Micky Duck and Cordite like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Had a savage single shot that I converted to 22mag worked really well....apart from it still has 22lr written on the side, which Dad now uses to shoot the possums in the cage trap with 22lr bullets says the lower velocity is better at that range

May have already been said but how about a straight 22 mag strapped to the fore stock beside the action you then just push out what you need at each shot. Save on the fishing in ya pockets and picking out the fluffy bits.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.